RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) -- Gov. Beverly Perdue says the state of North Carolina will shoulder any recovery costs from Hurricane Irene that aren't covered by the federal government.
Perdue said Thursday that the Federal Emergency Management Agency usually picks up 75 percent of damage costs, then states are allowed to decide whether to pass the other 25 percent on to towns and communities.
Perdue says the state has always taken care of places struck by natural disasters and local governments don't need any added bills in tough economic times.
Damage from the hurricane in North Carolina has been estimated at more than $400 million, leaving the state to cover $100 million.
Officials said Thursday that 4,771 damaged homes in the state have been inspected with disaster paperwork sent to FEMA.
Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.