NC Government Has $115-Million Surplus Through September

North Carolina's revenue collections are still ahead of projections set when legislators drew up the state government budget this year.

The General Assembly's top economist told lawmakers Tuesday the state's coffers have taken in $115 million above the roughly $6 billion expected through Oct. 31, the first four months of the fiscal year.

The presentation by Barry Boardman to a legislative oversight committee said the amount of taxes withheld from worker paychecks is improving and corporate income tax collections are above targeted levels.

The revenue surplus was about $150 million through September.

Boardman said downgraded economic forecasts for North Carolina and the nation present risks for the state to meet required revenue levels in the months ahead.

• by Good! on Dec 2, 2011 at 06:08 AM
    Please Governor use this money to keep thugs in Greenville and Rocky Mount in jail, don't ever let these animals out to reproduce or commit crimes again!
  • by Steve Location: Ayden on Dec 1, 2011 at 08:14 PM
    $3 billion deficit from the dems to a surplus by the Republicans!!! Obvious that the only people capable of running a government and being responsible with taxpayer money is the Republican party. Get rid of Perdue and we will be the best state in the country to do business.
      by Herman on Dec 3, 2011 at 01:32 AM in reply to Steve
      Yep, but the only ones who sacrificed were the middle class. These are the people who's jobs were cut out, or benefits were taken away after years of service. Why is it the middle class are always the ones who are ran under the bus? I understand why the 99%ers are protesting.
  • by Anonymous on Dec 1, 2011 at 03:27 AM
    Let's just hold on to the surplus and not increase spending this year. I am a state employee--a teacher--and I earn every red cent that I make. I spend lots of my own money in my classroom, too. Still, I would rather that the state have a healthy budget with a surplus for a year or two rather than receive a raise. If we have a surplus again next year due to the legislature keeping spending down, then yes, it would be nice if state employees could get a small raise because it has been a long time since we had one.
      by Teacher on Dec 2, 2011 at 06:12 AM in reply to
      You sound like all the welfare people who are entitled to public money. Tax payers pay you remember that!
  • by tron on Nov 30, 2011 at 06:31 AM
    Don't worry, I'm sure this "surplus" will have strangly disappeared when it comes to making the budget.Then of course comes more state budget whining and how they "must cut state jobs" and "raise the rates" for colleges, and most important go to china for another vacations-oh I'm sorry trade talks.
  • by Obama Snake Oil Co Location: Washington on Nov 30, 2011 at 04:54 AM
    I posted the debt story yesterday regarding NC and other states. Our deficit is what it is called. Instead of moaning about your state jobs and pay increases consider that most of us haven't had raises in years. No company owes us a raise unless it is promised, however, be thankfull when they do and don't moan about it when they don't. You should be thankfull that you have your state job that we taxpayers pay for. Keep in mind unemployment is still 10% in this state and many are off of unemployment now and not counted so you griping about a raise doesn't put food on their table and I am sure your getting raises is not a priority in their minds.
  • by Anonymous on Nov 30, 2011 at 03:54 AM
    why aren't you covering teh banana company that is coming here in charlotte (of course).
      by anon on Nov 30, 2011 at 05:00 AM in reply to
      you mean the one where they need to pay six figures to research and develop the banana, lol. There was a short article on that one yesterday.
  • by Alexis Location: ECU on Nov 30, 2011 at 02:52 AM
    The Republican controlled state legislature balanced the budget as wished for by the voters in N.C.
      by Anonymous on Nov 30, 2011 at 04:34 AM in reply to Alexis
      It is good that they have helped create a surplus, but by law they have to pass a balanced budget.
      by Anonymous on Dec 3, 2011 at 01:26 AM in reply to Alexis
      Yea, but they have contributed to the un-employment by laying off workers and eliminating jobs. Also added to the cost of supporting other social programs. Their approach is not balanced.
  • by Tyee Location: Hyde County on Nov 30, 2011 at 02:11 AM
    I am from the show me state. Please verify your comments. SHOW ME.
  • by tug Location: new bern on Nov 29, 2011 at 08:45 PM
    Not above giving pay raises to state employees, but join the club guys, nobody else has gotten pay raises either. I actually took a 10% cut this year and my wife's hours were cut by 20% for 3 months. I would like to see a good portion of any surplus put into education.
  • by DISGRUNTLED(ex)Worker on Nov 29, 2011 at 07:45 PM
    yeah you ahead of budget!You cut my and hundreds of thousands unemployment benefits off back around april of this year.THAT money was already put in the pot for us unemployed want to work ex workers..What did you do with those funds miss almighty?Millions of dollars still unaccounted for BEV!Do you think people forget?I want my back pay in interest and so do my hungry kids!
      by Barlow on Nov 30, 2011 at 02:57 AM in reply to DISGRUNTLED(ex)Worker
      The Republicans say there are lots of jobs you just don't want one, so get off that couch and go get em. And remember, "if you are not rich, blame yourself". Oh, send those kids out to work too.
        by oh please barslow on Nov 30, 2011 at 04:24 AM in reply to Barlow
        guess what barslow-it's easy to look for a job, but there are places that aren't hiring, even when they advertising, I have been trying to find a job, and talked to a friend, who told me that companies have to advertise about job opening. It doesn't mean the company must hire.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 134721588 - witn.com/a?a=134721588