NAACP Cautions NC Counties On Voter ID Legislation

North Carolina's largest civil rights organization is cautioning county governments not to try and enact local versions of a voter identification bill vetoed last year by Gov. Beverly Perdue.

The letter from the state NAACP chapter was sent to the North Carolina Association of County Commissioners on Monday.

State NAACP president the Rev. William Barber says counties trying to enact their own voter ID regulations would be in violation of the 14th Amendment's guarantee of equal protection. The group also opposes the state measure, calling it a way to disenfranchise voters.

Wake County commissioners voted Monday to endorse the original General Assembly bill rather than a local version. The House of Representatives could try to override Perdue's veto when it meets next month.

• by TK Location: Winterville on Mar 23, 2012 at 11:02 AM
    You need an ID to cash a check, sign up for social security, go to the Dr. and, obtain medicade. Give me a break NAACP knows this is a joke. Just a way to keep dead folks voting.
  • by Anonymous on Mar 23, 2012 at 06:55 AM
    Lavon, here is your sample... NAACP protesters calling for somebody to “string up” African American Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas, or “send him back into the fields” or “cut off all his toes and feed them to him one-by-one,” NAACP spokesman Hilary Shelton pointed to the organization’s recent resolution calling for a “civil political discourse.” Oh, their RECENT resolution.... so before this they had NO RESOLUTION. Your organization are racists Lavon.
      by Blame Obama on Mar 23, 2012 at 12:59 PM in reply to
      Well they are they use the race card and most black folk's dont like muslim's. The best thing for Obama to do is give young people Black White what ever a better chane in school free school for the poor.and maybe then there will be no ghetto's but Obama is not a poor or middle class black man he thinks just like what Lavon rants about everyday A stuck up rich folk keeping the black man down
  • by Anonymous on Mar 23, 2012 at 06:30 AM
    Lavon, you sound like one of those anger black person who thinks all white people are out to get you. If you so that makes you racist. I worked out the polls and I say NCAAP furnish a bus for people to ride to vote. It only went to the black neighbor. But what got me, was when the crackheads would come in wanted to vote for Omega or the black guy. Now really that is how you wanted to reprsented? Well I dont and trash is trash whether it is white or black.
  • by Stan Location: Wenona on Mar 23, 2012 at 05:17 AM
    Washington Co. where dead people voted in 2008.
  • by Common Sense on Mar 22, 2012 at 07:23 PM
    Anyone who is so stupid that they can't obtain a photo ID certainly has no business voting. And anyone who is so stupid that they can't understand why voting should require a photo ID certainly has no business voting.
  • by Lennie E. Peterson Location: Kinston, NC on Mar 22, 2012 at 07:23 PM
    Rev. Barber, the NAACP, Labor Unions, and the Democratic Party continue to get it wrong! Their oppostion to showing a picture ID trys to scare minorities, and the elderly. My mom is 85 years old and has a picture ID. So, guess what Rev. Barber, it's not hard for anyone to get a picture ID. The Democrats don't like picture ID's. Because by not having to show proof, many Democrats vote more than once. Which is unconstitutional!!!! What's wrong with showing ID anyway? You have to show ID at the bank, or buying alcohol or cigarettes. Rev. Barber, get over it!!!!! Stop with this we'll protect you, so vote us mentallity! Oh Rev., if you have the nerve, email me!!!! Because you're wrong!!!!
  • by Lavon Location: Goldsboro on Mar 22, 2012 at 02:48 PM
    Give me one example of what the NAACP has done that was racist? The reason why you bigots hate the NAACP is because they stand up for the civil rights of minorities. You racist haters can't stand that because most of you were raised to believe that if you ain't white you ain't right. You hate equal rights for blacks
      by Vickie on Mar 22, 2012 at 05:35 PM in reply to Lavon
      Question...Has the BIIGGG rev. brought any minority UP yet? OR just give them entitlement sense,that they were not already born with?
      by Lennie E. Peterson on Mar 22, 2012 at 07:40 PM in reply to Lavon
      Let me tell you Lavon! The NAACP is a racist group. Tell me, do you think Jessie Jackson, Sr. is racist? We don't hate equal rights for blacks! No, not at all! Let me tell you something from 1991. I drove a school bus back then. Had a 8th grade black female to cuss me, and wouldn't sit down. She said, "You can't tell me what to do! Because your white, and I'm black. And this ain't slavery days!" Three years later, she shot her boyfriend in the back, killed him! She claimed it was an accident! Really, you point a loaded hand gun and pulled the trigger! Younger blacks hate authority! And until the the black community gets its house in order! You will always have problems. So take your bigot attitude somewhere else. Try to solve the problem! Instead of creating problems!
        by Lavon on Mar 22, 2012 at 08:20 PM in reply to Lennie E. Peterson
        I asked you a question SO ANSWER IT!! What has the NAACP done that was racist? Give me one example and one racist slur from anyone that sits on the board of the NAACP. YOU CAN'T DO IT! You don't like the NAACP because they stand up for the rights of minorities from bigot racists like yourself. That's what you can't stand.
          by Truth on Mar 23, 2012 at 06:30 AM in reply to Lavon
          The mere FACT that this organization stands for the "advancement" of a particular group of people based solely on RACE makes them RACIST by definition!
          by Anonymous on Mar 23, 2012 at 06:43 AM in reply to Lavon
          Lavon, you're the ONLY racist here. Your posts prove it daily.
      by Anonymous on Mar 23, 2012 at 07:54 AM in reply to Lavon
      NAACP-"Nosing Around Always Causing Problems"
        by Anonymous on Mar 23, 2012 at 10:58 AM in reply to
        now that's funny right there ! amen
  • by Lavon Location: Goldsboro on Mar 22, 2012 at 02:43 PM
    Im black and I voted for Obama. I'll do it again in November. What are you going to do, shoot me?
      by Lennie E. Peterson on Mar 22, 2012 at 07:42 PM in reply to Lavon
      I's so sorry for you!!!!! Really, why would you want to make the same mistake twice!!!!!
        by Lavon on Mar 23, 2012 at 08:36 AM in reply to Lennie E. Peterson
        The same way you voted for Bush twice,,how did that work out for ya
          by Blame Obama on Mar 23, 2012 at 12:51 PM in reply to Lavon
          really good 401k still had money cd's payed 5% or more and you got better intreast rates on investments . let me quess you did not have a savings.
        by Blame Obama on Mar 23, 2012 at 12:52 PM in reply to Lennie E. Peterson
        I Agree
      by Blame Obama on Mar 22, 2012 at 09:01 PM in reply to Lavon
      Well im black He did nothing for me .He Gave my grandma one cost of living increase raise on her social security .The White man feels bad and always give more you are so wrong lavon Obama has set us back . Maybe he will change ,but didnt he win on that note Change.
        by Lavon on Mar 23, 2012 at 08:33 AM in reply to Blame Obama
        What have you done for yourself
          by Blame Obama on Mar 23, 2012 at 12:50 PM in reply to Lavon
          Well I been Given a Education by a white President. That made shure ,I could provide for my family instead of living off the system My Sister.I my self Belive any young people Collecting foodstamps or money should have to work for it at a park or something .Our people can do better . The real Question is what Obama done for his own race.I know he's half white it shows LOL
  • by joseph Location: 28560 on Mar 22, 2012 at 12:34 PM
    We need voters ID.We have to have ID to go the Dr. and about everything else so why not to vote?
  • by Iron Mike on Mar 22, 2012 at 12:27 PM
    All this nonsense about voter fraud is just a huge pack of lies from the Republican Party. But, if you're Republican, you probably are afraid of blacks voting. And, voter suppression -- like what happened between 1860 and 1960 -- is probably the best way to keep blacks from viting.
      by Lennie E. Peterson on Mar 22, 2012 at 07:44 PM in reply to Iron Mike
      No sir, I'm not! I ran for city council in 2011, and will attempt to do so again in 2013. And NO, it's not a pack of lies sir!!!!

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 143455476 - witn.com/a?a=143455476