Gay Marriage Debate Heating Up

Opponents of a proposed North Carolina constitutional amendment that would bar state-sanctioned gay marriage and other same-sex unions are ready to begin their campaign against it in earnest.

The Coalition to Protect All North Carolina Families scheduled a news conference Wednesday to launch its effort to defeat the amendment question put on the ballot for May by the state Legislature.

Amendment opponents say the change would imprint discrimination in the state constitution, harm the state's business climate and prevent local governments from offering benefits to domestic partners of employees.

A group that wants the amendment to pass also has formed.

North Carolina is the only state in the Southeast that doesn't have an amendment banning gay marriage in its constitution.

• by Anonymous on Jan 19, 2012 at 01:07 PM
    I don't see what the fuss is about. Gay marriage will be legal eventually whether you like it or not. Might as well go ahead and legalize it so you can get accustomed to the notion of two guys making out infront of your kids.
  • by Liberals>Conservatives on Jan 19, 2012 at 08:40 AM
    I wonder how many of these people who don't believe gay couples should have the same rights as straight couples also deny evolution as fact.
  • by Anonymous on Jan 19, 2012 at 07:24 AM
    I feel truly sorry for all these bible-thumping bigots who can't see past their own prejudices and ignorance. I wonder how they'll cope when gay couples are allowed to marry. I quite honestly hope that churches end up being forced to marry homosexual couples. It'd be a glorious achievment for the United States. I really couldn't wait to hear how it's an 'attack' on their religion. I say good, your religion deserves to be mocked and attacked.
  • by Steve Location: Ayden on Jan 18, 2012 at 08:22 PM
    The homosexual agenda has nothing to do with equal rights and everything to do with an attack on religion and destroying a traditional institution. Nobody cares what homosexuals choose to do but they will not rest until it is forced on everyone and somehow YOU are the one who is intolerant. Protect FAMILIES. Protect FREEDOM. Protect the 1st Amendment. Vote YES!!!
      by Anonymous on Jan 19, 2012 at 07:19 AM in reply to Steve
      I think the staggering divorce rate is doing more damage to your 'sacred and traditional' institution than gay marriage could ever possibly hope to do. And apparently you all do care, very much so, about what gay couples do. Otherwise you wouldn't fight so hard to deny them a basic right.
  • by AJ Location: Boone on Jan 18, 2012 at 06:06 PM
    NO H8! :D
  • by John Location: Greenville on Jan 18, 2012 at 04:51 PM
    As an African American male Democrat, I will be voting for tradtional male/female marriage. This is not a political issue it is a Biblical issue.
  • by Anonymous on Jan 18, 2012 at 03:01 PM
    Just say 'NO'.
  • by Dave Location: Wilson on Jan 18, 2012 at 02:29 PM
    Homosexuals already have the exact same right to marry 1 adult of the opposite sex in this state. What they are asking for is "special" rights. If you go down the road of "being able to marry whoever I choose" you will not be able to stop marriage of multiple people or marriage of adults who are close relatives. VOTE YES!!
      by Anonymous on Jan 19, 2012 at 07:19 AM in reply to Dave
      No reason either of those shouldn't be allowed as long as it's consenting adults.
  • by Me & My Monkey on Jan 18, 2012 at 01:44 PM
    I wanna marry my monkey. Will this legislation cover that, too? (seems like the same thing to me)
      by obamanot on Jan 18, 2012 at 03:36 PM in reply to Me & My Monkey
      That is the stupidest thing I have ever heard.They already cover that.I want to know when some usa leaders can marry their middle eatern goat!
  • by Anonymous on Jan 18, 2012 at 11:57 AM
    Who cares, enjoy throwing away your time discussing it. People will be people
      by Anonymous on Jan 18, 2012 at 02:05 PM in reply to
      Amen! For it or against it, people will fight to the end over what they feel is right to them.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 137557608 - witn.com/a?a=137557608