Congressman Butterfield Hears Concerns Over I-95 Tolls

A week after saying he opposed legislation in Congress to stop tolls on I-95, Democrat Congressman G.K. Butterfield told a group in Halifax County that he opposes the tolls.

Butterfield met Tuesday with leaders in Halifax County to discuss their concerns with the proposed tolls for $4.4 million worth of repairs and upgrades.

Butterfield says, "The tolls are just fundamentally unfair to the people of this region who use that highway everyday to go to and forth from work and to conduct their business."

Last week Republican Representatives Renee Ellmers and 3rd District Congressman Walter Jones introduced a bill "No Tolls in North Carolina Act of 2012" to prevent the Federal Highway Administration from approving a pilot program that would add tolls in order to pay for its expansion. They say our highways need to be updated, but residents shouldn't bear the burden. Congressman G.K. Butterfield said he opposes the legislation.

Democrat Congressman G.K. Butterfield says he opposes tolls for I-95 but does not support a proposal in Congress that would stop them. Do you think Congress should intervene to stop the proposed tolls?

• by Mike Location: Greenville on Mar 19, 2012 at 03:42 AM
    Oh great, he's not opposed to tolls, also he's not opposed to Obamacare, increasing taxes, and cutting our national defense in half, but other than that he's a good liberal.
  • by joe greenville on Mar 15, 2012 at 10:17 AM
    WELL IS THIS A WONDERFULL IDEA! BAD ENOUGH WERE TAXED TO DEATH, HIGH GAS PRICES,CANT PAY THE REMAINING BALANCE ON YOUR HOSPITAL BILL,SO THEY TAKE YOUR STATE TAX CHECK FOR THAT, NOW THEY WANT TO TOLL US TO DEATH.WE THE PEOPLE NEED TO GET RID OF SOME OVER SPENDING FAT CATS.MAY THEY FIX THE ROADS THAT ARE IN DISREPAIR INSTEAD OF JUST PATCHING THEM WITH ROAD PATCH FROM LOEWS HOME AND GARDEN CENTER!!!!!!!!!!
  • by Sam Location: Kitty Hawk on Mar 14, 2012 at 03:17 PM
    G.K. Butterfield, that's why they should make an exemption for locals who go back and forth between work and home. This man needs to step down right away as he is incompetent. What a disgrace to this state this man is!
  • by faye Location: eastern NC on Mar 14, 2012 at 02:24 PM
    Tolls on I-95 might generate money for road care, but the people who will be most affected by it are not the tourists who come thru, but the local people who must go to & from work everyday. Since unemployment is so high in our state, do you REALLY think adding more expense to our working folk will be advantageous? I don't! And before you jump on me for this, just let me say I'm NOT one of the ones who must travel I-95 daily.
  • by ALPHA Location: LENOIR on Mar 14, 2012 at 01:53 PM
    WE NEED TO STOP BUILDING MORE ROADS until we can find a way to MAINTAIN them. Building megabridges to service 200 homes and a beach is not a feasible usage of highway dollars(unless you put a toll on it to pay it off) Put a moratorium on the construction of new un-needed roads. (the by-passes of the 5 highway 70 cities was a waste of money)
  • by Pink1967 on Mar 14, 2012 at 10:53 AM
    I was in attendance at the meeting yesterday hosted by the I-95 No Tolls Coalition and local business leaders in the Roanoke Rapids area. The meetings was also attended by Tourism Represenatives, county commissioners and Chamber officials. The congressman did not "teeter" on this issues. He stated that he "gets" this issue and that he is opposed to the tolling on I95. I am not a fan of the political arena but it is a necessary evil to get things done. Lastly, the article is about tolls--why are we discussing the congressman's race?
  • by M on Mar 14, 2012 at 07:50 AM
    I will take every back road/dirt road/etc to avoid tolls...we pay enough to our state already...I'm sure there is already funding for this that is not being used properly and they expect the citizens of the state to pay for our Governments mismanagement...I don't think so!
  • by dlw Location: USA on Mar 14, 2012 at 06:58 AM
    Butterfield was rasied by a black family in Wilson. He caters to the black vote and their wishes. His district is stacked with black voters so he can be re-elected. He is re-elected by those that get something for nothing. Vote him out!
      by REM on Mar 14, 2012 at 08:59 AM in reply to dlw
      Welcome to the new way of the United States. Voting districts should be based on JURISDICTION ONLY (local, county, state, federal). It's too bad that common sense will never prevail.
  • by Ronald Location: Washington, NC on Mar 13, 2012 at 08:33 PM
    Connecticut had 3 tolls on I-95 in the 80's or 90's but took them ALL down when there were a few accidents with trucks that killed people when the trucks were unable to stop in time at the tolls. If you put up tolls history will repeat itself.
      by JS on Mar 14, 2012 at 07:54 AM in reply to Ronald
      I remember the CT tolls. I was in the Navy and stationed at the Subase in Groton, CT in the mid-late 80s. In the summer and on weekends, traffic was so bad that you'd wait in line about a half-hour to get to the toll both then once through, immediately went into another line bumper-bumper waiting for the next toll both which was 10 to 15 miles down the road. It was a God-send when they took them out!
      by Sam on Mar 14, 2012 at 03:18 PM in reply to Ronald
      Apparently you don't hear about that in New Jersey, Maryland, and Florida.
  • by fishin4lies Location: in a canal along 95 on Mar 13, 2012 at 07:54 PM
    so butterbutt is flipfloppin again kinda like a giant carp when it is tossed on the bank of the river

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 142557745 - witn.com/a?a=142557745