Two Announce They Will Not Run For NC Governor

Another Democratic elected official has said no to running for North Carolina governor -- this time U.S. Rep. Heath Shuler.

The western North Carolina congressman put out a statement Tuesday saying it was an honor to be discussed as a candidate but that now is not his time.

Shuler is a three-term House member planning to run for re-election in the refigured 11th District stretching from the foothills west to the Tennessee and Georgia borders. Charlotte Mayor Anthony Foxx said earlier Tuesday he would forego a statewide race this year.

Two Democrats already have entered the gubernatorial race -- Lt. Gov. Walter Dalton and state Rep. Bill Faison.

Gov. Beverly Perdue announced last week she would not seek re-election.

Previous Story:

Charlotte's Democratic mayor says he isn't running for North Carolina governor.

Anthony Foxx said Tuesday the short time before May's primary would take too much time away from his young family and the issues facing Charlotte.

Gov. Beverly Perdue announced last week she will not seek a second term, stunning fellow Democrats and sending them scrambling to find a candidate.

Foxx is black and supporters felt he could have helped to bring out Democratic voters. Charlotte is hosting the Democratic National Convention in September, when President Barack Obama will get his party's nomination for re-election.

Former Charlotte Mayor Pat McCrory is the only announced Republican running for governor. Lt. Gov. Walter Dalton and state Rep. Bill Faison of Orange County have announced they're seeking the Democratic nomination.

• by Shine Location: NE NC on Feb 1, 2012 at 10:44 PM
    I want this to be unequivocally realized, that I also am not running for Govenor this term.
  • by Pete Location: Grifton on Feb 1, 2012 at 01:46 PM
    I will go on record and say I'M not running for Governor,and will go a step further and say I'M not running from the Governor either.
  • by Melvin Location: Jacksonville on Feb 1, 2012 at 07:56 AM
    "Foxx is black and supporters felt he could have helped to bring out Democratic voters." What kind of junk is this? Mr. Foxx is only being considered a candidate because of the color of his skin? Oh, I guess it is all in the sake of winning for the Democrat Party isn't it? Doesn't matter in whether or not that Mr. Foxx has a vision in where North Carolina should go into the future. The Democrat Party only wants him because he's Black. There is a little known fact that doesn't get out much anymore. There are Black Conservatives in North Carolina, that have very good ideas in leading North Carolina into the future. "Foxx is black and supporters felt he could have helped to bring out Democratic voters," that statement just irks me to no end,like Black North Carolinians are Democrat Party Zombies who are told how to vote.
  • by Wharf Rat Location: OIB on Feb 1, 2012 at 05:52 AM
    I flipped a coin and I lost, so I will not run either, but now I can`t remember who I borrowed the coin from......
  • by ncyankee Location: enc on Feb 1, 2012 at 05:28 AM
    so!!, never heard of these people, so why is this news
  • by Anonymous on Feb 1, 2012 at 04:31 AM
    How about Lavon or Barlow as the democratic nominee?
  • by Sam Location: Kitty Hawk on Jan 31, 2012 at 11:15 PM
    It would only be better if Barack Obama would announce he is not running for the 2012 election. Too bad he has too big of an ego. Hopefully either Ron, Rick, Newt, or Mitt destroys that major ego he has on him.
  • by The King Location: ENC on Jan 31, 2012 at 07:04 PM
    Richard Petty!!!!!!!
      by Sam on Jan 31, 2012 at 11:22 PM in reply to The King
      We don't want the King Richard Petty away from the NASCAR business. He is certainly way more of a king than Lebron James.
  • by Shine Location: NE NC on Jan 31, 2012 at 06:13 PM
    After being nicknamed govenor for the last 20 plus yrs. I have to say that I will not run this year. Please make a note of it. Thanks.
      by Col. Colt on Jan 31, 2012 at 08:20 PM in reply to Shine
      I wont run either, even if you begg. I have my standards and will not lower them!
  • by tod Location: 7springs on Jan 31, 2012 at 12:42 PM
    this just in im nt running either

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 138407129 - witn.com/a?a=138407129