CONGRESSMAN: Marines Killed In Afghan Helo Crash From Hawaii

A Hawaii congressman says all six Marines who were killed in the crash of a U.S. helicopter in Afghanistan were based in Hawaii.

The helicopter crashed yesterday in the southern Afghan province of Helmand.

Rep. Colleen Hanabusa of Hawaii, a member of the House Armed Services Committee, said Friday she's saddened to hear of the deaths. Her spokeswoman says the congresswoman was notified Thursday evening that those killed were Hawaii-based Marines.

A defense official says there's no indication that the helicopter was hit by enemy fire.

(Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Previous Story

We are working to gather more details of where six Marines killed during a helicopter crash in Afghanistan were based.

NATO says there isn't any indication that the chopper was shot down, and that there was no enemy activity in the area at the time of the crash in southern Afghanistan. The names and bases of the troops are still being withheld by the military.

In addition, four French NATO troops were killed in Eastern Afghanistan today, by an Afghan soldier who turned on his comrades.

This prompted French President, Nicolas Sarkozy, to say his country is suspending its training programs for Afghan troops.

Stay with WITN and witn.com for more details.

• by T Maxx Location: G-vegas on Jan 20, 2012 at 01:11 PM
    GODSPEED my brother and prayer are with your family and friends.
  • by Smitty Location: Belhaven on Jan 20, 2012 at 12:04 PM
    Sorry to hear of the loss to these families! The people that risk their lives and that give their lives for the safety and freedom of our lives i thank you from the bottom of my heart! RIP!

• by Smitty Location: Belhaven on Jan 20, 2012 at 12:04 PM

• by Retired Enlisted Marine on Jan 20, 2012 at 08:36 AM
    Semper Fi My Brothers.
  • by JB on Jan 20, 2012 at 08:25 AM
    Formerly, Iraq, not Afghanistan...
  • by Formerly O.L.I. Location: ENC on Jan 20, 2012 at 07:31 AM
    Okay; just reread the Washington AP and only 10,000 troops (soldiers) were pulled out of Afghanistan a few weeks ago (big announcement by Obama). That was from 101,000, with a remainder of 91,000 soldiers stilled deployed there. I guess I thought pulling our troops out, meant what it said. Oh well.
  • by NavyMedic Location: Greenville on Jan 20, 2012 at 07:00 AM
    Well you gotta remember there was two operation Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom the war was being fought in Iraq and Afghanistan. They pulled everyone from Iraq but people are forgetting the troops are still forward deploying to Afghanistan. So the war truly is not over until they leave both countries. It's very tough that Marines are still losing there lives everyday and no one is safe especially service members because even the afghan/Iraqi soilders could always turn on you.
  • by Sad... on Jan 20, 2012 at 06:44 AM
    Troops were pulled out of Iraq...my husband is deploying to Afganastan next week for 7 moths. Troops are definitely still going to Afganastan... Praying for the families and Marines who lost their friends
      by Anonymous on Jan 20, 2012 at 02:49 PM in reply to Sad...
      Sweetie, my thoughts are with you, as my son has spent five years in the Mid East, and I know how hard that has been for me. Remember this, my son came home SAFE each time, and hope your husband does too.
  • by RIP Location: Greenville NC on Jan 20, 2012 at 06:15 AM
    Rest In Peace and may God bless and comfort your families!
  • by Anonymous on Jan 20, 2012 at 06:00 AM
    Dear Formerly, Are you serious? Iraq and Afghanistan are two SEPERATE countries, two SEPERATE wars. How about pay attention to current events. Signed, A US soldier serving in Afghanistan PS-YES, we are still here.
      by Formerly O.L.I. on Jan 20, 2012 at 12:01 PM in reply to
      I was referring to the big announcement by Obama, a few weeks ago, about pulling our troops out of Afghanistan. He meant only 10,000 out of 101,000. You can read the article on Washington AP. I do know Iraq, Iran, and Afghanistan are separate countries; didn't realize we are in two different wars; thought it was all based on 9/11. It's confusing. Thanks for the post, and come home soon.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 137746878 - witn.com/a?a=137746878