Postal Service Plan To Be Unveiled

Postal service leaders will unveil their cuts and costs plan Monday.

It's said to include cuts to first-class mail delivery, that means mail could take 2-3 days to reach a destination instead of the current 1-3 days.

There are also plans to close hundreds of mail processing centers.

On Tuesday, the postal service will talk about plans to move Kinston's mail distribution center to Raleigh.

There will be a public forum 6:00pm Tuesday night at Lenoir Community College. The forum will discuss the impact on employment and the consequences of moving the distribution center.

• by post office on Dec 6, 2011 at 08:38 AM
    Post office workers make way too much money.
  • by wake up Location: kinston on Dec 5, 2011 at 09:34 AM
    do any of you realize how much goes into your local economy by having a postal plant local. Do you know how many of your neighbors that will move and leave their homes here if it's closed. How many will end up in foreclosure and then what's your housing market gonna be worth then? How much money do these employees spend locally with retailers and small businesses....all that will be gone. Everyone keeps saying this is good... I disagree. The workers spend 12 or more hours a day processing each and everyone's mail giving up their personal time with family and friends to make sure each and everyone of you get your mail.....you say you don't use the service but you check your mail everyday. What other company provides you a free service to your door regardless of profit. What other service is required to pay so much in advance to their retirement system....no one.....fix that and no one looses their jobs, home, family
      by I Fought the Law on Dec 5, 2011 at 10:59 AM in reply to wake up
      So what, I work for a pharmaceutical company and sacrifice a lot too so you can have quality drugs to live a quality lifestyle. The difference between my company and USPS? We must make a profit to stay in business which means hard decisions like lay-offs and reduced benefits. Get real.
        by wake up on Dec 5, 2011 at 03:59 PM in reply to I Fought the Law
        you said it all I must say your so smart who do you think ships your medicine to where it needs to go. THE USPS! and without the medicines on time how many will suffer waiting an extra day for them by closing the processing center. I see how much your customers mean to you. The kinston plant gets from 2000 to 3000 packages of medicine a night. That's 2000 to 3000 people waiting for medicine that will take 2 to 3 days longer to get. THAT IS A PROBLEM
      by Anonymous on Dec 5, 2011 at 04:24 PM in reply to wake up
      If the service were free, we wouldn't be paying postage. It is not a free service.
        by wake up on Dec 6, 2011 at 11:28 AM in reply to
        even if you don't buy postage each and every person still receives mail through the postal service and are regulated to provide that service free to each and every mailbox. What other company provides you anything to your door 6 days a week free regardless of wether you purchase from them
  • by Anonymous on Dec 5, 2011 at 09:31 AM
    UPS could not handle more business (of delivering packages). They are so short staffed and have unreasonable schedules for their drivers. I know drivers, they work 12 hours a day and get paid overtime for all those hours. They make over 6 figures a year. Which is nice but talk about burn out potentional, working like this year around (not just at the holiday season).
      by B on Dec 5, 2011 at 12:09 PM in reply to Anonymous
      USPS not UPS
  • by Jen on Dec 5, 2011 at 09:27 AM
    @ Citizen I moved here from a larger town where I could do almost all of my post office visit's at a kiosks in the lobby of my local post office which was open 24/7. I could weigh, label, mail (drop in bins like UPS has), buy stamps, ect without talking to anyone. I was shocked when I moved to Greenville and they did not offer the service. Seeing people wait in line to buy 2 stamps is crazy.
  • by Dave Location: Wilson on Dec 5, 2011 at 09:18 AM
    Everybody knows the issues. Mail is dead. Lets be honest. If you absolutely needed something delivered the next day you would not use the usps anyway. You have these thousands of branches coast to coast and people standing in there handing out stamps and weighing boxes like a machine in a grocery store could not do it just as well. Plus for most people what do you get in the mail? JUNK!!! I am guessing 1 out of 15 pieces of mail that comes to my house is something I actually need or wanted.
      by really? on Dec 5, 2011 at 09:53 AM in reply to Dave
      did you read it correct. They are trying to close the processing plant not a branch.....not a counter where you buy postage, but a plant which mean you will have delays in everything you send or receive. And to everyone who thinks it's dead haha you make me laugh bc when the americans let this service fail each and everyone of you will be crying when you have to pay your ups and fed ex costs to pay bills or send anything.. we shall see
  • by Anonymous Location: Washington on Dec 5, 2011 at 08:51 AM
    Your idea is very good. Germany has been doing this for about 40 years. USPS does not get it at all. When carriers stay on their routes and stop talking long periods with people on their routes, they would get it done sooner. I have no sympathy for USPS. They are over managed and their benfits are outrageous.
  • by democraps on Dec 5, 2011 at 07:47 AM
    This will happen to all Americans if Obama is reelected!!
  • by A Little Wiser Than You on Dec 5, 2011 at 06:40 AM
    They need to go back to delivering mail only and let other more competent companies like UPS handle packages. I ordered something on-line last Sunday Nov 27th and it was shipped Priority mail with an expected delivery of Wednesday Nov 30th. When it didn't arrive I went online to track it and filed complaint. The next day they changed the delivery date to Friday Dec 2nd with no explanantion or follow-up. Typical inefficient government agency.
  • by Anonymous on Dec 5, 2011 at 06:24 AM
    I've reduced my use of the USPS by about 90% in the last 10 years. I pay bills either online or face to face. Holiday greetings and letters are by e-mail. Costs go up, service never improves. Shine's comment about reducing top level management is excellent. Not only are the top level management paid too much, they are also making poor decisions. Now they want to punish the customers who still use their services (end next day delivery).
  • by Do What on Dec 5, 2011 at 05:22 AM
    Instead of cutting costs how about teaching the mail carriers how to read.I get tired of having to chase down my mail.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 135014318 - witn.com/a?a=135014318