Poll: 8 In 10 Pet Owners Visited Vet In Last Year

A new poll shows that eight in 10 pet owners across the country took their animals to a vet in the past year, spending over $500 on average.

The AP-Petside.com poll shows dogs made more trips, 85 percent of dog owners took their pets to the vet, while 79 percent of cat owners took them in.

According to the poll, dog owners spent an average of $537. For cat owners, it was $558.

The poll also shows that 16 percent , that's one in six owners, had to deal with a serious pet illness during the year and they spent an average of $1,092 on vet care.

For those whose pets did not face a serious illness, the average bill was $358.

• by question on Nov 29, 2011 at 10:55 AM
    Has anyone tried the vet's office inside of Petsmart & if so what are your thoughts about it? We are thinking of changing vets because where we go is awfully expensive.
      by Lower cost, good care on Nov 29, 2011 at 01:23 PM in reply to question
      Try Animal Care on HWY 33 or McLawhorn Animal Clinic. Both offer quality care at reasonable prices. 10th Street is all about the money and there's way too much vet rotation. Dr. Hayes is good if you can get him but few clients do.
  • by Josephus Jr Location: Greenville on Nov 29, 2011 at 10:54 AM
    10Th Street Vets are really high. They charge a very high office visit fee($40.00 ) & Really eat you up on Nail Trims & Other minor items. The high vet costs are the reason i cannot let myself get any more animals. I Have 3 dogs & 2 Cats left& As they die off i cannot afford to get more. Average costs to me per vet visit is Around $75.00 or so. Then add in the heartworm pills & Flea meds & Whoa!! I Am looking into the deal at pets mart & Yes they have a vet srrvice nowe.You pay a monthly fee for vet services.
  • by Anonymous on Nov 29, 2011 at 10:53 AM
    I am sure most vets are ok if your dog just needs shots or their nails clips. However if your dog is seriously sick or injured then please go to a vet that you trust 100 percent. Our pets are like our children and I have to have total trust in a vet.
  • by Sue Location: G'ville on Nov 29, 2011 at 07:49 AM
    To Duke's Mommy: I agree with you 100% about Animal Care on HiWay 33. We also take our pets there, and have great care. Our 13yr old Sadie, a Dobie/Rott mix had cancer surgery about 3 weeks ago. Wonderful care from Dr. Shaffer and the technicians. She is healing wonderfully and her quality of life is so good now. We also have 2 other dogs, 6 cats (5 outside) and a fish! Pets are really a great addition to the family.
  • by Not 10th St on Nov 29, 2011 at 07:25 AM
    I had really bad experiences with 10th St. I had a cat with a serious UTI who had been treated, to no avail, at 10th St. When I called to say it was an emergency, they blew it off and said they could see the cat the next day. I then called McLawhorn Animal Clinic and even though I had never been a patient there, they saw the cat right away. He had to be catheterized immediately and would have died a painful death but for Dr. McLawhorn's care. Then, he started the kitty on a drug that actually worked for his UTIs, unlike the ones 10th St. had given. On another occasion, one of the 10th St. vets gave another cat a drug that shut her kidneys down, causing her death. Won't ever return to that vet practice.
      by yes on Nov 29, 2011 at 09:38 AM in reply to Not 10th St
      10th street cares more about moving animals through and grabbing money than anything else. gotta put the little gentleman through med school.
        by Anonymous on Nov 29, 2011 at 10:41 AM in reply to yes
        We have taken our pets to 10th St Animal Hospital for years & years and our pets have always received excellent care. I would rather have the BEST care for my pets even if the price is not as cheap as somewhere else. My pet is worth it & I trust Dr. Hayes totally.
  • by Anonymous on Nov 29, 2011 at 04:20 AM
    As long as the people in your family are receiving good medical care it is fine. Only God can love you more than your dog.
  • by DUKE'S MOMMY Location: ENC on Nov 29, 2011 at 04:02 AM
    We take all of our pets (2 dogs, 5 cats) to Animal Care Vet on Hwy 33. They are great vets there and are always willing to help you with anything. Their prices are also WAY LESS than the local vet in Farmville.
      by Anonymous on Nov 29, 2011 at 05:53 AM in reply to DUKE'S MOMMY
      Well as long as witn is allowing shout outs I will say we go to Tenth Street Animal Hospital and they are not only professionals but they are very compassionate. I would recommend Dr. Hayes & his staff to anyone!

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 134659893 - witn.com/a?a=134659893