Occupy Wall Street Marks Christmas With Prayers

Occupy Wall Street protesters have celebrated Christmas with prayers and a reading of a Martin Luther King speech in Manhattan's Zuccotti Park.

Police evicted protesters from the privately owned public space in November.

Christmas Day at Zuccotti -- the 100th day of the first demonstrations -- started at midnight with a prayer service in the park. Breakfast was served in the morning.

At noon, a 1967 speech by King was read -- one in which the civil rights leader expressed his opposition to the Vietnam War.

Other Christmas activities at Zuccotti Park included music and a poetry reading.

• by Go South on Dec 26, 2011 at 09:17 PM
    love you OWS ....keep up the good work ! ! Prayers be with you !
      by Obama Snake Oil co on Dec 28, 2011 at 03:40 PM in reply to Go South
      Is that acronm for Ole Weed Smokers? That seems to be what I saw in San Fran and NYC.....can you tell us what good work they have done? You referring to throwing paint cans and bricks at police and fussing when they got arested? I am sure glad the Iran Islamic movement is helping them with money....do the OWS pray to Allah?
        by Anonymous on Dec 31, 2011 at 04:44 AM in reply to Obama Snake Oil co
        I am not sure who collectively who they pray to...It would be hard to know...It's much simpler to knw individuals, that;s if they are Christians or not...they have clear fruits they bear and bare ! Judging from your postings and comments , I am not sure which god you prefer, although by process of elimination it's pointing to "self"
  • by Obama Snake Oil Co Location: Washington on Dec 26, 2011 at 01:21 PM
    So, you will hate this. If you gave your kid too much for Christmas, you contributed to this problem. Its called entitlement society and you added to it. You now owe it to them for the rest of their lives and now we owe them too for some reason. Well, some of you failed as parents and if you child is there, you are that parent. If you are a parent that gives a car to your child at graduation...wellcome to OWS...you are just adding to the next group of entitlement gens. You have to teach your kids to earn their way in life, not just get it when requested. Beat me up if you wish...I know better and you know better, now can I have 20 dollars for a movie?
      by Anonymous on Dec 26, 2011 at 09:16 PM in reply to Obama Snake Oil Co
      Thank you for taking the traditional leeson we teach or children about giving and turn it into a political senerio. I am sure God appreciate it too. I taught my children well and they are educated and you my friend didn't pay for it ! GOT IT ! They make less money compared than what I did in the 80's. You must be big frog in a little pond. Keep on craoking,it may very well be another lesson from the bible you will be telling us. Don't let you words find you out. You are no better than the next fellow
        by Obama Snake Oil Co on Dec 27, 2011 at 11:43 AM in reply to
        Well then, you should read about who is the OWS protesters. None of us were taught we got it on a silver platter in my family. All of us paid for our own college, not mom and dad, us, we worked and went to school. We also drove cars we bought and paid for used while wearing hand me down clothes from our brothers. We also took no loans from any college or government. Pretty sure the bible references god helps those that help themselves and give a fish to a man to eat and he will eat for one day, teach him how to fish and he will do it a lifetime. Hope you get it.
        by and... on Dec 31, 2011 at 08:17 AM in reply to
        I just like the fact you have the same view as commie china and Iran when the ideas are a bit different the what you read in your rush fan club newsletter. If you don't like it move to china where they have the same views as tinfoil hat republicants.
      by Anonymous on Dec 27, 2011 at 05:29 AM in reply to Obama Snake Oil Co
      Jesus gives, why don't republicans?
        by Obama Snake Oil co on Dec 27, 2011 at 11:44 AM in reply to
        According to the stats more republicans give to charities than democrats, its all over the web...google.
      by Osoc= lies again......this is getting boring on Dec 28, 2011 at 02:23 AM in reply to Obama Snake Oil Co
      Didn't you say that you were going to take back your daughters car and all the financial perks that you gave her, because you found out she was a President Obama re-election volunteer? Or were you just lying again?
        by Obama Snake Oil Co on Dec 28, 2011 at 05:06 AM in reply to Osoc= lies again......this is getting boring
        Didn't you get the joke or were you too wrapped up with personal concern about marble sales in NYC on July 4th?
        by Anonymous on Dec 29, 2011 at 02:46 AM in reply to Osoc= lies again......this is getting boring
        I remember that post, typical repug hypocrite.
  • by Anonymous on Dec 26, 2011 at 08:01 AM
    ive seen a few of them... seems to me they would have been better served by taking a shower and getting a job
  • by South Location: ENC on Dec 26, 2011 at 06:15 AM
    to Occupy this.. youmust be a deer hunter...one of those that work from Feb to Oct,,,then draw Unemployment during hunting season,feel justified in critsizing others as lazy and worthless.We HAVE A LOT OF red neck southern men that go through this ritual every year. They really know how to celebrate the whole holiday season.
  • by Anonymous on Dec 26, 2011 at 04:20 AM
    Hard work, self discipline, attention to detail,are characteristics that made America great, not sitting on your thumbs waiting for handouts from" mother government". The "Nanny State" ideals of democrats and Barrack Obama are leading this country to ruin.
      by TIA on Dec 26, 2011 at 06:04 AM in reply to
      hard work and self discipline rarely pay the the bills in our society today. Those Charcteristics that made America great are not the only ones that made America great. Hard workers in this country have been screwed all through our history.
        by 40some on Dec 26, 2011 at 07:25 AM in reply to TIA
        Not me, I started a business, worked hard and prospered over the last 15 years. Most of my headaches and burdens are due mostly to government intusions and demands for more money. You being a female, have more opportunity available to you than I have had.
          by Anonymous on Dec 26, 2011 at 08:51 PM in reply to 40some
          Then count your blessings and thank GOD that some tragedy has not sticken you. And I wish that you would explain youself; the comment you made to the female? ? I have three daughters and I want to know why you made that staement? I am waiting ?
      by Anonymous on Dec 26, 2011 at 12:41 PM in reply to
      Could not have said it better myself. We used to be a country that took individual responsibility for our successes and failures.
  • by Anonymous on Dec 25, 2011 at 09:39 PM
    Good for them, we should all pray for less government in our life and for taking responsibility for our own actions.
      by Anonymous on Dec 26, 2011 at 06:04 AM in reply to
      GOD bless you also !
      by To anonymous on Dec 28, 2011 at 11:25 AM in reply to
      Les government? Yeah, you want less government except when it comes to the bedroom and a woman's right to choose! Yeah, you want less government except you want to stop any "brown" person just for being brown and a 'possible' illegal. You want less government except it is alright to force blood tests on someone just for being poor! You want less government interference with you imposing your beliefs on others!!
  • by Northener Location: Washington, NC on Dec 25, 2011 at 08:56 PM
    I am origninally from NY and I don't understand why more people in NC do not agree with Occupy Wall Street demonstraters. They truly represent the 99% of us that are suffering from the oppressive 1% that are ruling this country. Open your eyes and minds, realize that the democrats are the ones that represent you and your families. I am so grateful that these people are not afraid to represent so many of us! God Bless Occupy Wall Street demonstraters!!
      by OccupyThis on Dec 26, 2011 at 03:37 AM in reply to Northener
      Because most of us were raised to have to work for what you get not steal from somebody else and or get free hand outs.Thank god I live in the south and was handed down better common sense than those northern dolts have.
        by Anonymous on Dec 26, 2011 at 05:49 AM in reply to OccupyThis
        .Thank "god" I live in the south and was handed down better common sense than those northern dolts have.>you might show that common sense by acknowledging GOD almighty.
          by PoleVaulter on Dec 26, 2011 at 06:37 AM in reply to
          You might show the common sense of acknowledging some kind of a name and btw half of those idiots up north that are protesting are atheist to start with.
        by NorthNSouth on Dec 26, 2011 at 06:56 AM in reply to OccupyThis
        I have lived all over this country and I'm afraid y'all are a little backward down here in some respects. Try getting out some.
        by @ POLE VAULTER on Dec 26, 2011 at 09:01 PM in reply to OccupyThis
        It's plain to see you're on the wrong track. Any username up here is anonymous reagardless,,so your point is worthless. So now the south has someone like you proclaiming it's godliness to be above others. How stupid..the southern babtist used the bible to jusityfy "one man OWNING another".Remember how the north led by Lincoln,which felt GOD was with him in ending slavery.I really don't know the exact stats on south-north holiness, but I do know if the south has less atheist than the north, we stand to have more hipocrits. "Cause we sure ain't more godly" than anyone else...and that's a fact !
      by Anonymous on Dec 26, 2011 at 05:59 AM in reply to Northener
      Many people in the South are uninformed,are still very clanish. Many still teach their children to be racist and bigots. In the eastern part of the state many live a relaxed way of live and as much as they oppose OWS ,they always talk hatred for the government,never like politicians. They have some distorted "christian" beleif that gives them the right to judge other with the term " do unto others as you live" and always make themselves comfortable with themselves using the cliche,"my nieghbor shouldn't be judging me, hey ! I know a lot about them". LOL. Happy New Year, northener and to the South which I do love.
        by Anonymous on Dec 26, 2011 at 08:02 AM in reply to
        wow that sounds like a biggoted statement to me... if you know your history you will recall the biggest demonstrations against school busing was in Mass. but dont let the facts get in the way of your lie
          by Go South on Dec 26, 2011 at 09:22 PM in reply to
          no not a bigot..born and bred(every generation since my folks landed here) in he south. Wouldn't live anywhere else but right here in NC,just putting the clear and definite staements out there. Like I said..the southern boys..like to throw around that "don't judge me stuff" . L O L
          by Anonymous on Dec 27, 2011 at 05:48 AM in reply to
          Oh well, sometimes facts are just 'bigoted.' Nothing you can really do about it.
      by 40some on Dec 26, 2011 at 07:22 AM in reply to Northener
      Back to the old argument over the nanny state and not so free giveaways.
  • by 40some on Dec 25, 2011 at 08:29 PM
    They want the free college education Obama promised them in the last election. Don't hear that story in the news, do you?
      by South on Dec 26, 2011 at 06:18 AM in reply to 40some
      Obama and all Republicans.Libertarians and Democrats should make a college education available to ANYONE that cannot afford it... FREE to those that use that education ! !
        by 40some on Dec 26, 2011 at 07:19 AM in reply to South
        Problem you don't understand with that line of thinking is that someone has to pay. Should professors work for free? Then there's the whole problem of folks getting something for free that show no appreciation as those who work for and earn something.
          by Money for nothing on Dec 26, 2011 at 10:35 AM in reply to 40some
          Nothing should be free. You should have to work to earn anything. Unfortunitly with 40% (and climbing) of the population not paying any taxes, we are doomed.
          by $ South on Dec 26, 2011 at 09:09 PM in reply to 40some
          You are absolutely wrong I SO MUCH appreciate those that are teachers and believe they should be higher wages than most people in the country even if it means at the tax payers expense. Our Government is NOT a capitalist institution. We do not produce not market goods, we are a non-profit organization paid for by tax payers , of which I am happy to say I am one. Education should be TOP of the list in this country ,,but I know that some of you (like OSOC)see public education as an entitlement program.
          by Anonymous on Dec 27, 2011 at 05:52 AM in reply to 40some
          Money for nothing seems like the type who thinks he pays taxes, but probably doesn't. I see it every tax-season, people who have 3 or more children always get back 5,000$ while either both parents work modest jobs or one is unemployed. There is no way they're paying their fair share when they're getting back over 5K a year.
          by To Anon on Dec 31, 2011 at 04:40 AM in reply to 40some
          Anonymous on Dec 27, 2011 at 08:52 AM in reply to 40some ..People that earned income credit do not "save this money"... if they qualify for it,it's because they have ! or more children they are supporting. The money that they receive goes back into the system,,, which is exactly what it was intended for...Back to the the top !
      by Anonymous on Dec 27, 2011 at 05:49 AM in reply to 40some
      They don't want a free college education, they want their tuition to not be raised so high that it becomes difficult to afford it.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 136212173 - witn.com/a?a=136212173