Light Drinking Linked To Slight Breast Cancer Risk

A study suggests that women who drink just three alcoholic beverages a week face a slightly higher chance of developing breast cancer when compared to women who don't drink.

The study involved more than 100,000 U.S. nurses. The link between alcohol and breast cancer isn't new. But most previous studies found no increased risk among light drinkers.

Experts say the new research provides compelling evidence of the increased risk, because it followed so many women for up to nearly 30 years.

Still, the study only shows an association between alcohol and breast cancer, and it doesn't prove that drinking causes the disease.

• by Reco Location: Gland on Nov 2, 2011 at 04:45 PM
    Well for all you heathey people that drink guess what if its from a pubic source chances are it is ttreated with chlorine and chlorine is know to cause breast cancer.
      by Audra - SoCal on Nov 2, 2011 at 09:33 PM in reply to Reco
      What, like a drinking fountain? I avoid those like.. well, the plague. lol
  • by B Location: Gville on Nov 2, 2011 at 07:33 AM
    Next thing they'll say is that breathing is bad for your health
  • by Wine Drinker Location: Greenville on Nov 2, 2011 at 07:25 AM
    I wish someone would do a study to see what drinking diet sodas do to you. I drink water all day at work and love a glass of red wine while I'm making dinner(generally 3-4 days a week). I can't imagine how I'm being more unhealthy than my friends that drink Diet Coke all day long, every day of the week. Can't imagine they're going to be much healthier than I am in 30 years (plus they're all overweight).
      by Audra - SoCal on Nov 2, 2011 at 09:32 PM in reply to Wine Drinker
      Those studies have already been done. It's no secret that soda with either high fructose corn syrup, or the artificial sweeteners either one are unhealthy - majorly so. Your water and wine routine is infinitely healthier, indeed.
      by Formerly O.L.I. on Nov 3, 2011 at 05:04 AM in reply to Wine Drinker
      I know some people who have first-hand experience with what sodas, diet or not, do. They contribute to heart attacks (think Mt. Dew) and bladder cancers, in addition to ruining teeth.
  • by Carl Kolchack Location: Pitt County on Nov 2, 2011 at 07:17 AM
    Drink wine, get cancer. Don't drink wine get heart disease. That's known as 6 of one, half a dozen of another.
  • by dee on Nov 2, 2011 at 06:18 AM
    then why do the french & italians have much lower cases of all cancers & they drink much more alcohol-namely wine??
  • by Formerly O.L.I. Location: ENC on Nov 2, 2011 at 06:00 AM
    ...or eating at a fast food twice a week, consuming a bag of M&M's a month, eating smoked meats with nitrites every month/week, drinking regular tap water, or no water at all, breathing the air around a factory, wearing deodorant with aluminum chlorohydrates, wearing tight under garments, oh; the list could go on and on.
  • by Russ Location: Henderson on Nov 2, 2011 at 05:35 AM
    Thirty years wasted on a study and untold billions of dollars when they should be studying how to kill the stuff. And I bet the 500 ingrideants in that two item frozen dinner are healthy for you.
  • by Audra Location: SoCal on Nov 2, 2011 at 04:58 AM
    ....and said test doesn't account for what these regular "light" drinkers are eating and exposed to otherwise in their social travels for these drinks. I don't really consider a regular habit of alcohol to be "light" drinking either. I have maybe 1 drink a month or 2 or 3 months sometimes. THAT is light. First they tell us don't drink, then they say oh wine is good for you.. have a glass a day. Then it's a few days a week. Then it's back to every day. Now it's don't do that or your cancer risk increases. I'm all for ignoring all the unfounded rhetoric and just using my own brain to make intelligent choices.
  • by opinionated Location: Maple Hill on Nov 2, 2011 at 04:12 AM
    What DOESN'T cause cancer now a days.... They have linked cancer to everything

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 133059728 - witn.com/a?a=133059728