Kids Say 'Potato,' USDA Says 'Poh-tay-NO'

The potato is on the verge of being virtually banished from the nation's school lunch program, but not if Sens. Susan Collins of Maine and Mark Udall of Colorado have anything to say about it.

Collins, who grew up in Maine's potato country and picked potatoes as a girl, wants to restore some respect to the humble spud, a popular and inexpensive item in school lunches.

New guidelines proposed by the U.S. Department of Agriculture would eliminate potatoes altogether from school breakfasts and drastically reduce the amount of potatoes served in lunches.

Collins says potatoes are healthy and nutritious, as long as they're not fried. She and Udall are attempting to withhold funding for implementing the rules.

• by Anonymous on Sep 27, 2011 at 06:55 AM
    1 med tater:161 cal: zero fat: 37g carb: 4g fiber: 2g sugar: 4g protein: Vitamin C 28%: Iron 10%: Calcium 3% Sodium 17mg And Cheap!!!!! Instead of banning we should be mandatory along with rice and beans once a week.
  • by Keep french fries in school. on Sep 26, 2011 at 02:48 PM
    So sick and tired of people telling me what my child can eat. My child is not overweight and is very active and loves some french fries. Let me raise my child and feed her what I want to. Keep french fries in school. And by the way if anyone has eaten a school lunch lately, they suck so the kids dont eat the food that is served to them.
      by Anonymous on Sep 28, 2011 at 09:25 AM in reply to Keep french fries in school.
      Feed your child what you want! School lunches are not mandatory! If children aren't eating them then maybe they aren't that hungry!
  • by Potato Man Location: NC on Sep 26, 2011 at 02:12 PM
    Whats next by these nut case politicians " Apples " What is wrong with a Potato? It is the world's fourth-largest food crop, following rice, wheat, and corn. Long-term storage The potato contains vitamins and minerals, as well as an assortment of phytochemicals, such as carotenoids and natural phenols. Chlorogenic acid constitutes up to 90% of the potato tuber natural phenols. Others found in potatoes are 4-O-caffeoylquinic (crypto-chlorogenic acid), 5-O-caffeoylquinic (neo-chlorogenic acid), 3,4-dicaffeoylquinic and 3,5-dicaffeoylquinic acids.[56] A medium-size 150 g (5.3 oz) potato with the skin provides 27 mg of vitamin C (45% of the Daily Value (DV)), 620 mg of potassium (18% of DV), 0.2 mg vitamin B6 (10% of DV) and trace amounts of thiamin, riboflavin, folate, niacin, magnesium, phosphorus, iron, and zinc. The fiber content of a potato with skin (2 g) is equivalent to that of many whole grain breads, pastas, and cereals.In terms of nutrition, the potato is best known for its carbohydrate content (approximately 26 grams in a medium potato). The predominant form of this carbohydrate is starch. A small but significant portion of this starch is resistant to digestion by enzymes in the stomach and small intestine, and so reaches the large intestine essentially intact. This resistant starch is considered to have similar physiological effects and health benefits as fiber: It provides bulk, offers protection against colon cancer, improves glucose tolerance and insulin sensitivity, lowers plasma cholesterol and triglyceride concentrations, increases satiety, and possibly even reduces fat storage. Eat your potatoes they are good for you!
  • by VA on Sep 26, 2011 at 01:32 PM
    No one has said anything about the worst part of this story -- the headline. Really?? Poh-tay-NO???
  • by Anonymous on Sep 26, 2011 at 10:28 AM
    Sounds like Ms. Obama is making sure she gets her pet program forced on the public. Of course, this would not apply to her royal family nor any of the royal socialist elites in DC. When will government intrusion ever stop?
  • by ace Location: j ville on Sep 26, 2011 at 09:19 AM
    Please, idiots, get your head out of the sand. Quite trying to control the public. Sugar is by far more dangerous than potatoes and look at how many people die each year because of water! Are you going to ban sugar and water?
      by Sadly True on Sep 26, 2011 at 11:42 AM in reply to ace
      They won't ban it, they will just try to regulate it, which in turn will make it cost 5x as much as it should. They already have us going with High Fructose Corn Syrup. It's only cheaper because all of the subsidies the corn farmers get. Cut the subsidies and the price would be more than sugar. If it was really that cheap other countries would use it, but even in Mexico they still use pure sugar.
      by uh on Sep 26, 2011 at 02:43 PM in reply to ace
      It's not that it's being regulated, it's that local personnel are using it too often where more nutritious food should be. I think fries are delicious, but if I were a 10 year old and it was my choice, I would eat them every day- parents aren't in the cafeteria to police their kids.
      by Anonymous on Sep 27, 2011 at 02:49 AM in reply to ace
      Too bad this isn't just about you're kid.
  • by Anonymous on Sep 26, 2011 at 09:14 AM
    Another federal agency that should be REMOVED ! What are we paying these people to come up with they stupid ideas, then trying to FORCE US, their bosses, down our throats !
  • by rapper Location: snow hill on Sep 26, 2011 at 08:36 AM
    A potato on a stick...covered with chocolate...or cheese ! Yummmmmy !
  • by uh Location: Greenville on Sep 26, 2011 at 07:32 AM
    I have mixed feelings about this, but I remember having the choice when I was in high school, of what I would buy. While I liked to have a sandwich or something, there was a "spud bar" where you'd heap unhealthy toppings onto a potato. Carbs carbs carbs. It's tough to balance personal responsibility with the fact that developmentally, kids aren't yet concerned about diabetes and obesity.
  • by Sadly True on Sep 26, 2011 at 07:14 AM
    Wow, the Rice Farmers lobby must be going to town in Washington.
      by ? on Sep 26, 2011 at 09:44 AM in reply to Sadly True
      What's wrong with rice?! It's tasty and healthy, a lot healthier then a potato. Don’t get me wrong, I love potatoes and potatoes are healthy but if I had the choice between the two I’d pick rice almost everytime.
        by Sadly True on Sep 26, 2011 at 11:40 AM in reply to ?
        The only time I want rice is when I'm having stew beef, chinese, or sushi. Other than that, it's potatos 100% of the time.
      by Sadly True on Sep 26, 2011 at 11:43 AM in reply to Sadly True
      Not saying there's anything wrong with it, I just like potatoes better. :)

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 130548123 - witn.com/a?a=130548123