ESPN Fires Employee For Lin Headline Seen Online

ESPN says it fired an employee responsible for an offensive headline about Knicks sensation Jeremy Lin.

The headline Friday on ESPN's mobile website was used for a story about a New York loss in which Lin had nine turnovers. The headline was an idiom that contains a word that also can be used as a slur against Chinese.

Lin is the NBA's first American-born player of Chinese or Taiwanese descent. He has captivated fans by leading the Knicks to seven straight wins before Friday's loss.

In a statement Sunday, ESPN apologizes for that headline and says it is aware of two other "offensive and inappropriate" comments. An ESPNEWS anchor who used the same phrase has been suspended for 30 days. And ESPN says a similar reference was made on ESPN Radio New York, but the commentator is not an ESPN employee.

• by BLAH on Feb 20, 2012 at 04:56 PM
    Turning japanese I think I'm turning Turning Japanese I really think so.Turning Japenese I think I'm turning Japanese I really think so.Not much difference is there?Only CHINA does not like Japan.
      by The Vapors on Feb 20, 2012 at 05:58 PM in reply to BLAH
      That song actually isn't talking about turning Japanese. If you don't know, I can't tell you...you'll have to tell yourself.
  • by Lin on Feb 20, 2012 at 01:17 PM
    He is like Chinese food, you eat it and 30 minutes later you are hungry again!
  • by tod on Feb 20, 2012 at 11:57 AM
    the same channel espn frequently has run the movie " White men can't jump" why isnt this racist?
      by Boats on Feb 21, 2012 at 04:42 PM in reply to tod
      It is... But anti-white racism is politically acceptable. Go figure.
  • by pittcountync on Feb 20, 2012 at 11:21 AM
    I am a Korean/American and I find no insult to any name that someone calls me. I am self confident enough to realize what someone thinks or says about me directly or indirectly through a "racial" comment have no bearing in who I am. I know who and what I am and I am proud of who I am. People now a days are so afraid of offending someone..... or being offended themselves. In my opinion all this complaining about political correctness is just a bunch of insecure individuals who want to draw attention to themselves while they cry about having their feeling hurt. I was taught long ago just as my children have been taught by me, "sticks and stones may break my bones but words can never harm me". For all the people out there crying about what someone said, grow up and act like an adult and not a child....... someone somewhere is always going to have something negative to say but in the end their words do not change who or what you are....... if you are too insecure about yourself then go out onto the elementary school play ground and let them kids toughen you up.
      by anon on Feb 20, 2012 at 11:58 AM in reply to pittcountync
      a big AMEN to that
  • by Meg on Feb 20, 2012 at 10:38 AM
    Russ, you need to read American history. It was diversity that made this country the great country that it is. If you check your ancestry you will, no doubt, find that they came from another country, unless you are full blooded American Indian, which I highly doubt, and besides they are the ones who should have a true complaint about you and me being here in the first place. I find American Indians to be much more understanding of the diversity issue than "homegrown good ole boys". By the way, everyone who lives here contributes to the economy by making purchases so that argument doesn't help you too much. I suppose you could argue that even the thief contributes to the economy in his own way by making it necessary for us law abiding citizens to purchase home security systems and weapons to protect ourselves.
  • by Anonymous on Feb 20, 2012 at 08:11 AM
    Question- Where were Jesse and Al?
      by Anonymous on Feb 20, 2012 at 08:42 AM in reply to
      He's of "Chinese or Taiwanese descent" why would they get involved?
        by Anonymous on Feb 20, 2012 at 10:26 AM in reply to
        That is very true.
        by anon on Feb 20, 2012 at 11:09 AM in reply to
        NAACP. national association for the advancement of colored people. is he not colored of some sort???
          by good thinking! on Feb 20, 2012 at 06:20 PM in reply to anon
          peach is a color! that makes me colored!
      by anon on Feb 20, 2012 at 08:57 AM in reply to
      good one. where are they?
        by shonuff on Feb 20, 2012 at 10:41 AM in reply to anon
        He is of the wrong.......people of color. Has to be darker.
  • by anon Location: wallace on Feb 20, 2012 at 05:32 AM
    i agree, political correctness will lead to tyranny of this country.i live by the old saying ' sticks and stones may break my bones, but your words will never hurt me'!! been called every name in the book, still standing, not bleeding, not hurting. just as long as they do not put their hands on me , i can live with the name calling. they will get what is coming to them one day, they will have to answer for it, not me. i just go on about my business and try to be nice to others. my parents taught me that at a very young age, never stood there and took name calling, just kept walking away with a smile.kinda like a prank caller on a phone, if you stay on the line he can do his prank, but if u just hang up, he cant!!
  • by The Original ENC Location: enc on Feb 19, 2012 at 05:22 PM
    jeez... everyone is sooo thin-skinned anymore. It's ALL funny - I even enjoy jokes about my own race. It's called a SENSE OF HUMOUR...we as a people should look into it again.
  • by Meg Location: Greenville on Feb 19, 2012 at 02:13 PM
    He should be fired. And yes we do need to buck up in the this country but if he is allowed to freely insult an entire race of people without repercussion, where does it end? If he had insulted blacks, Hispanics or any other race it would not be tolerated. So why should this be tolerated?
      by Jack on Feb 19, 2012 at 06:25 PM in reply to Meg
      Oh shut up Meg!! Just shut up!
        by Meg on Feb 20, 2012 at 06:34 AM in reply to Jack
        Is that the best response you have, Jack? Perhaps you should reconsider and actually say something of value. Please explain your point of view in a coherent manner rather than simply gracing us with this emotional outburst. That is the attitude that people have when they think it is okay to insult others based on their race. It is the same attitude people use when they become angry (or should I say jealous) because someone of another race works hard and succeeds financially and you haven't done so well. It really isn't because they are smarter than us Americans. It is because they aren't afraid of hard work and they give their best effort. Often times, we Americans, look at certain jobs and refuse to take them because are beneath us so we would rather walk to the post box and pick up our welfare check instead. The truth of the matter is that hard working immigrants scare many Americans because they understand what it means to live with daily ignorant comments and yet they can still work hard and put up with these rude, arrogant, foul mouthed good ole boys who have nothing better to do with their time than go mudding. Make an effort to educate yourself Jack.
          by Russ on Feb 20, 2012 at 08:43 AM in reply to Meg
          At least the good old boys that go mudding are contributing to the economy by purchasing the equipment to do so. Unlike the punks standing on the street corner stealing from the taxpayers. Diversity is going to be the final straw to the down fall of this once great country.
          by observer on Feb 20, 2012 at 09:04 AM in reply to Meg
          did you not just freely insult an entire race of people with the above comment "good ole boys"
          by Meg on Feb 20, 2012 at 01:42 PM in reply to Meg
          Ha Ha! To Observer, yes I did at that, didn't I. Well, just like ESPN I apologize to all that felt insulted.
          by wow on Feb 20, 2012 at 06:22 PM in reply to Meg
          i have never in my life picked up a welfare check. and i qualify. but i haven't. and im an american. i get what youre saying, but i dont appreciate the stereotype!
        by to russ on Feb 20, 2012 at 06:26 PM in reply to Jack
        are you kidding me? first of all, you know nothing about economics if you say that. even the poorest illegal immigrant contributes to the economy by paying rent to a landlord. that landlord has to pay taxes on their property, so there you go. and mudding...yeah, not the best representation of white people. i take offense, anyways! how is diversity the final straw? who should we then be just like? should we all go mudding like you? i hope when you graduate high school, you get yourself a college education and become enlightened on the idea of diversity. it will probably be painful for you, but at the same time, good.
        by Anonymous on Feb 21, 2012 at 09:41 AM in reply to Jack
        to Observer; I have never heard of a Person of Color being charged with a hate crime for attacking or killing a Good Ole Boy or a Hillbilly. Why?
          by OBSERVER on Feb 23, 2012 at 01:01 AM in reply to
          Since I do not work in the field of law enforcement or with the justice system, that is a question I cannot answer. I was merely making an observation.
      by wrong on Feb 20, 2012 at 06:21 PM in reply to Meg
      if he had insulted whites no one would make a fuss.
  • by Chris Location: Greenville on Feb 19, 2012 at 01:17 PM
    This country needs to buck up and stop all this sensitivity to anything that has any inkling to even resemble something that could offend someone. An apology,firing,back peddling and general whining about every little thing that is not PC, is just worthless. Grow some thick skin, buy a sense of humor, or build a bridge and get over things.
      by Lol on Feb 19, 2012 at 03:12 PM in reply to Chris
      Chris, your grasp on cultural diversity is short sighted and ignorant. Read a book.
        by Chris on Feb 20, 2012 at 02:24 PM in reply to Lol
        Ohh, no I said something not PC, lemme apologize to Lol. They may feel offended, and their sensitivity needs to addressed. Go ahead hold your breathe while you wait for it.
      by Chris For President on Feb 19, 2012 at 11:17 PM in reply to Chris
      Ya got my vote!
        by shonuff on Feb 20, 2012 at 06:52 AM in reply to Chris For President
        I agree with Chris.... stop all the d whining. But on your big boy pants and grow a pair. Life is too short to worry about what someone you don't KNOW said about you. Geez..
        by Chris For President on Feb 20, 2012 at 05:56 PM in reply to Chris For President
        Chris doesn't get my vote for spelling master or sentence structure.
      by Disgusted on Feb 20, 2012 at 07:26 AM in reply to Chris
      AMEN Chris! They need to just get over it!
      by all fun n games! on Feb 20, 2012 at 06:26 PM in reply to Chris
      yep, its all humorous till its about you!
        by Chris on Feb 21, 2012 at 12:26 AM in reply to all fun n games!
        Nope, its still funny. I have a sense of humor.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 139642403 - witn.com/a?a=139642403