Costa Offers $14.5K/Passenger For Wrecked Cruise

Costa Crociere S.p.A has offered passengers $14,460 apiece to compensate them for their lost baggage and psychological trauma after its cruise ship ran aground and capsized off Tuscany when the captain deviated from his route.

Costa, a unit of the world's biggest cruise operator Carnival Corp., will also reimburse passengers the full costs of their cruise, travel expenses and any medical expenses sustained after the grounding.

The agreement was announced today after a day of negotiations between Costa representatives and Italian consumer groups representing 3,206 people from 61 countries who suffered no physical harm when the Costa Concordia hit a reef on Jan. 13.

Passengers and crew are free to pursue legal action if they aren't satisfied with the deal.

• by - on Jan 30, 2012 at 10:23 AM
    I bet the repubs are blaming the left for this unfortunite disaster too.
  • by rusty Location: aurora on Jan 28, 2012 at 07:09 AM
    I wonder if the Captain is going to sue the cruise lines because "HE TRIPPED AND FELL INTO A LIFE BOAT?"
      by - on Jan 30, 2012 at 11:31 AM in reply to rusty
      Can you believe that guy, what a waste of flesh.
  • by An old timer Location: Anywhere on Jan 27, 2012 at 01:03 PM
    Can you say,,no less than a Million,,give me a break
      by Anonymous on Jan 27, 2012 at 01:51 PM in reply to An old timer
      hahaha....ain't you funny with that one. You need a break alright.....from the dream you must be in right now.
      by G on Jan 27, 2012 at 02:16 PM in reply to An old timer
      Well if you get too greedy you bankrupt the company and you end up getting nothing. I'm pretty sure a million to all the people on the cruise ship would do that.
  • by Anonymous on Jan 27, 2012 at 09:11 AM
    For those unharmed that's a good deal if you ask me.
  • by Anonymous on Jan 27, 2012 at 07:36 AM
    That a lot. I am sure most didnt have 14k worth of belongings in the cabin. It says they will also get travel and medical expense. Thats good for them to even offer anything. I am sure they dont have to. If they wanted im sure they could tie it up in court for years and never settle.
      by Anonymous on Jan 27, 2012 at 10:43 AM in reply to
      thats a pretty good deal....they should be lucky they made it out.
  • by anonymous on Jan 27, 2012 at 07:26 AM
    so, luggage and trauma is worth $14,460... ok, what is all those lost lives worth??? this is sad..
      by Anonymous on Jan 27, 2012 at 10:43 AM in reply to anonymous
      money hungry are we?
        by rusty on Jan 28, 2012 at 07:12 AM in reply to
        Must be a group of lawyers out for a "group" lawsuit where the lawyers get the money and the victim gets the "shaft."
  • by Anonymous on Jan 27, 2012 at 07:10 AM
    I wonder how much the cruise itself cost in the first place. I'm thinking that dollar amount doesn't sound like much in the light of what happened.
      by Anonymous on Jan 27, 2012 at 10:43 AM in reply to
      they should feel lucky to be alive...geez.
  • by Anonymous on Jan 27, 2012 at 05:12 AM
    What an insult to the paasengers. I will NEVER take a trip to Italy OR visit that idiot country. BACKWARDS in their court systems and apparently most everything else. Not safe in Italy.
      by The Original ENC on Jan 27, 2012 at 08:12 AM in reply to
      And the US had the Gulf oil spill, EXXON Valdeez, 3 mile island, Tot Mom and OJ...Italy is safe and friendly. I've been there many times. I'd suggest you stop being so reactionary.
      by Anonymous on Jan 27, 2012 at 10:35 AM in reply to
      I felt much safer in Italy than any US city I've ever been in. I even stayed in Rome for a few nights and felt very safe there too despite it being such a large city.
      by Anonymous on Jan 27, 2012 at 10:46 AM in reply to
      What does this have to do with what you just said?

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 138189534 - witn.com/a?a=138189534