Claiming Adult Children On Your Income Taxes

Big question for folks filling out their tax forms, can parents claim their adult children, who've moved back home, on their income taxes?

The struggling economy has forced many young adults to go back home to live with mom and dad.. However, the IRS rules are strict about claiming adult dependents, simply providing housing doesn't qualify.

A qualifying dependent must have been under 19 at the end of the year or 24 and a full time student. Also the adult child must have lived with the parent for more than half the year.

If the age test fails, claiming the child as a "qualifying relative" might work if the adult child earned less than the amount of the personal exemption, but working a part-time job usually renders the child ineligible.

You must be logged in to post comments.

Password (case sensitive):
Remember Me:

Read Comments

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
  • by ~ALPHA female~ on Feb 1, 2012 at 11:15 PM
    I want to claim everyone in the state of NC that are receiving foodstamps and welfare checks. I'm paying for it, why can't I claim it?!
    • reply
      by Anonymous on Feb 1, 2012 at 11:55 PM in reply to ~ALPHA female~
      This is not ALPHA FEMALE. She has more respect than this.
  • by What About...? on Feb 1, 2012 at 09:52 PM
    I've got a helper monkey. He gets paid in bananas, but I'm not sure how much he earns other than that. When he cheats on his taxes, I spank him. ☺
  • by Anonymous on Feb 1, 2012 at 05:35 PM
    I am claiming my adult child and some other folks too.
  • by Blake on Feb 1, 2012 at 04:51 PM
    Can we claim most of west Greenville as dependants?
  • by Chris Location: Greenville on Feb 1, 2012 at 03:19 PM
    You should have to claim an adult child that lives in the parents home, and pay extra tax. Parents claim kids until age 18 and get back more refund than they deserve. After 18 they should pay more , or tell the child to make it on their own.
  • by Cboy on Feb 1, 2012 at 12:51 PM
    Better question would be, "Can our grandkids claim Obama and the DNC"
  • by Roy Location: Winterville on Feb 1, 2012 at 11:54 AM
    With all the adult children giving up and moving home there should be no deduction at all. No incentive to make it on their own. And it cost the federal government to much money.
  • by john Location: farmville on Feb 1, 2012 at 11:36 AM
    now help me understand this, you bishops and apostles, does that mean my kids or someone elses kids or who ever my grandmama claims
  • by Craig Location: G-Vegas on Feb 1, 2012 at 09:22 AM
    Adult children??? I think you can still claim your adult child if they live with you and the adult child is in college. There is a age cut off for that though.
    • reply
      by Anonymous on Feb 1, 2012 at 12:51 PM in reply to Craig
      The story already stated that....
  • by FYI on Feb 1, 2012 at 05:50 AM
    @ wondering... If the child was born ANYTIME in 2011 you may claim the newborn. If the newborn was born on or after Jan. 1st 2012 you can not claim the child for 2011 taxes. FYI your w-2 has nothing to do with who you claim.
  • Page:

275 E. Arlington Blvd. Greenville, NC 27858 252-439-7777
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 138469354 -
Gray Television, Inc.