Christopher Hitchens, Militant Pundit, Dies At 62

Christopher Hitchens, the author, essayist and pundit, has died after a lengthy, public battle with cancer. He was 62.

Hitchens death was announced in a statement from Conde Nast, publisher of Vanity Fair magazine. The statement says he died Thursday night at M.D. Anderson Cancer Center in Houston of pneumonia, a complication of his esophageal cancer

Known for his militant humanism and independence, Hitchens had announced in June 2010 he was being treated for cancer of the esophagus. He was a prolific writer known for his essays in Vanity Fair and Slate and for his best-selling manifesto for atheists, "God is Not Great."

He was a militant humanist who believed in pluralism and racial justice and freedom of speech, big cities and fine art.

• by John Lennon on Dec 17, 2011 at 02:23 PM
    I was bigger than Jesus! Come on Mike and spend eternity with me. We the cool crowd, the hip, the popular, the ones who think we are the intellectuals because we think we are the first ones to think of doubting Christ!
  • by GBHB on Dec 16, 2011 at 01:13 PM
    Despite how you feel about his views, the man was simply brilliant. The world lost an extraordinary, independent, and fearless thinker Thursday night. RIP
  • by here Location: here on Dec 16, 2011 at 12:38 PM
    "Science flys you to the moon, religion flys you into buildings."
      by Anonymous on Dec 16, 2011 at 01:44 PM in reply to here
      my hero
      by THE Voice on Dec 16, 2011 at 06:28 PM in reply to here
      No truer words were ever spoken.
  • by Kane on Dec 16, 2011 at 08:02 AM
    Brilliant writer....hope he was right.
  • by ENCTARHEEL on Dec 16, 2011 at 07:26 AM
    He found out what it was like to met the God he didn't believe in.
      by questions on Dec 16, 2011 at 11:20 AM in reply to ENCTARHEEL
      Heaven and hell are abstract concepts that are reduced to images we can comprehend. If heaven represents pleasure and light, how will we know pleasure unless we have the memory of pain for comparison and doesnt that introduce the encumbrances (emotions, guilt, conscience) of the failed human condition that burdens the lost? If we have truly lost that burden during the enlightenment to heaven, then how will the promised reward of a righteous existence be realized/recognized? Would you feel pride? If you can further the thread without resorting to reflexive invective, please do so.
      by GBHB on Dec 16, 2011 at 01:16 PM in reply to ENCTARHEEL
      Really? How do you know this for a fact or are you relying on that "faith" thing? Hitchens would have ripped you a new one and would have certainly "rocked" your faith if you came at him with that one. Be glad he isn't around to do it.
  • by Marie Location: Greenville on Dec 16, 2011 at 06:07 AM
    May God have mercy on all our souls. We might not agree with, but respect someone who dare to differ and speak his/her own mind. All righteous Bible proclaimers, why so quick to judge and worry about others' salvation? Too many dance to the same drum beats. By the way, learn to spell and use correct grammar. If you read Hitchens, you'd know that! He even made Limbaugh uncomfortable!!
  • by Anonymous on Dec 16, 2011 at 05:22 AM
    This man has sealed his fate in eternity. Very sad indeed. May God have mercy on his soul.
  • by mel Location: Greenvilee on Dec 16, 2011 at 05:08 AM
    I don't know if the expression on his face in the published photo is indicative of his usual appearance, although I suspect that it is, but he looks like he was a very sad, disappointed, and discouraged man. Not surprising based on his belief system. Marie, He may have been honest about his beliefs, but I doubt very highly that he will rest in peace.
      by Wharf Rat on Dec 16, 2011 at 06:22 AM in reply to mel
      So, you would look as happy as a lark if you were dying of cancer?
        by Mike on Dec 16, 2011 at 07:06 AM in reply to Wharf Rat
        Know God, know peace. Yes, I could look happy... to be going home without having to deal with the likes of so many people who are not at peace with themselves or their maker. I once went into surgery and an O.R. person told me I was the calmest person they had ever seen there. I told them it was because I know what my future holds and even the best surgeon could not overcome God's plan. How much turmoil do YOU deal with? I have perfect peace within. May God have mercy on ALL who doubt Him. I once saw a billboard that stated, "Don't believe in me? What if you are wrong? ...God"
      by Marie on Dec 16, 2011 at 06:36 AM in reply to mel
      Maybe he was in pain? Why so quick to judge? What do we know after all? I hope we all can rest in peace when that time comes. Is your belief system above anyone else's? The drums keep going....
  • by Mike Location: Edenton on Dec 16, 2011 at 03:33 AM
    He will now find out how great God REALLY is as he stands before Him in judgement. Lost souls are truely a shame.
      by here on Dec 16, 2011 at 06:09 AM in reply to Mike
      So is mindless faith in mythology. a shame that is.
        by The flood on Dec 16, 2011 at 09:19 AM in reply to here
        Luckily that is not what believing in God is.
      by Anonymous on Dec 16, 2011 at 08:39 AM in reply to Mike
      Simple minded souls are just the same...
  • by Marie Location: Greenville on Dec 16, 2011 at 01:55 AM
    He was deliberately honest and conscious. RIP....
      by Mom on Dec 16, 2011 at 05:24 AM in reply to Marie
      I hope you are not as deliberately honest and conscience about it. Your eternal future rests on it. God Bless and Merry Christmas Marie.
        by here on Dec 16, 2011 at 06:08 AM in reply to Mom
        Your funny.
        by Marie on Dec 16, 2011 at 06:39 AM in reply to Mom
        Hi Mom! Merry Christmas to you, too. I do hope we are all honest and conscious or we'll be led astray. Since you are all knowing about my eternal future (imagine that), do you wish for me to follow you?
        by Anonymous on Dec 16, 2011 at 06:28 PM in reply to Mom
        Another so-called "christian", huh?

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 135718058 - witn.com/a?a=135718058