Chinese Woman Gives Birth To Record Newborn

A mother in central China has given birth to a 15.52 pound baby, possibly the largest newborn on record since the country's founding in 1949.

The state-run Tianjin Post said Tuesday that the 29-year-old mother in Henan province gave birth to the boy Saturday by cesarean section. It said delivery took just 20 minutes and both mother and the baby, named Chun Chun, are doing fine.

The paper said Chun Chun's parents are average size and there was nothing unusual about his mother's pregnancy or diet.

The paper said it wasn't immediately clear whether Chun Chun made China's record books.

Guinness World Records says the heaviest newborn ever recorded was born to an Ohio woman in 1879 and weighed 23.7 pounds.

• by Dem-whit-Chi Location: Jacksonville on Feb 8, 2012 at 04:45 PM
    My big orange(ring tail)tomcat is missing.anybody seen him?
  • by LCR Location: ENC on Feb 8, 2012 at 03:11 PM
    Ouch, just the thought makes me hurt, and I thought 7lbs 14oz naturally hurt, couldn't imagine, but c-section, nothing to it!!! Just a BIG baby!!!
  • by cuz on Feb 8, 2012 at 02:42 PM
    Doesn't China have a rule of 1 child per couple. I bet they are married.
  • by Danita Location: Jacksonville on Feb 8, 2012 at 01:45 PM
    Omg glad my daughter was 7 pounds and 3 ounces glad the baby and mom is fine
  • by The Wise One Location: NC on Feb 8, 2012 at 01:02 PM
    Too much shrimp-fried rice?
  • by Pete Location: Grifton on Feb 8, 2012 at 10:34 AM
    I think the name CHOW-DOWN-SOON would have been a better choice of names.
      by Mustang on Feb 8, 2012 at 02:29 PM in reply to Pete
      With one-ton soup!
  • by Anonymous on Feb 8, 2012 at 09:38 AM
    Glad the baby is healthy but I have to admit my first thought was what she must have looked like pregnant. She must have been as round as she was tall. Glad mine stayed in the 6-7 pound range.
  • by MJ Location: Greenville on Feb 8, 2012 at 09:27 AM
    OUCH! I hope this was not a natural birth or DOUBLE OUCH!
      by Anonymous on Feb 8, 2012 at 10:50 AM in reply to MJ
      It specifically stated it was a cesarean birth.
  • by Kung-pow on Feb 8, 2012 at 08:02 AM
    It's gonna take a lot of rice to feed that baby.
  • by Sonya Location: Belhaven on Feb 8, 2012 at 05:12 AM
    That's just 2 lbs more that my boy weighed.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 138914469 - witn.com/a?a=138914469