Blagojevich Gets 14 Years In Prison For Corruption

A federal judge has sentenced Rod Blagojevich to 14 years for corruption that included trying to sell or trade an appointment to the Senate seat vacated by President Barack Obama.

It's one of the stiffest penalties for corruption in a state with a history of crooked politics.

Blagojevich apologized for his crimes and asked for mercy in addressing the judge earlier Wednesday.

His attorneys had said the sentence of 15 to 20 years prosecutors wanted was too harsh.

He is the second successive Illinois governor sentenced for corruption. His Republican predecessor, George Ryan, is serving a 6 1/2 year term.

(Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

• by Bob Barker Location: Hawaii on Dec 7, 2011 at 08:46 PM
    I am sick and tired of people's pessimistic attitudes. get over yourselves! This country is founded on optimism and strength, not whining and pessimism. This country won't get in any better, no matter who is elected if you people do not realize it is YOU that changes this country, and optimism in the face of awful circumstances. It shames me to see people hating the government for all the faults of the USA! Maybe you people should have never let it take over in the first place. Wake up, and stop being stupid. I am from Greenville, I live in Hawaii, and the mainland is insane. Here we fight for the grapes, while you people just complain about it.
      by What?? on Dec 8, 2011 at 08:35 AM in reply to Bob Barker
      "I am from Greenville, I live in Hawaii", enough said.
  • by Carl Kolchack Location: Pitt County on Dec 7, 2011 at 01:54 PM
    Had he been elected in North Carolina he would only had to pay a $1000.00 fine.
  • by Teresa Location: Farmville on Dec 7, 2011 at 12:30 PM
    This was harsh compared to what other politicians get. This was an inside deal and they just did not like him. I believe 3 years would have gotten his message across. I believe he is ready to do a tell all now.
  • by Anonymous on Dec 7, 2011 at 11:20 AM
    I can't really say he desereved this harsh a sentence. He was just playing the game most politicans do, he just got caught at the wrong time, made mistakes by making it too public and basically saying he didn't think what he did was wrong. His arrogance was his downfall.
  • by me Location: Bayboro on Dec 7, 2011 at 10:58 AM
    Oh yea and he will not be the last. Our gov might be next. Also our last gov should be.
  • by Data Man on Dec 7, 2011 at 10:53 AM
    Do people hate Obama that bad!? They are punishing this man because white america hates anything that Obama is a part of! Wake up america. This man is our leader. He runs this country and is doing better than anyone that has ever been in office! Let him serve his 4 more years of leading us! He has proven that he can lead!
      by Excuse Me on Dec 7, 2011 at 01:22 PM in reply to Data Man
      I hope your post is meant to be sarcastic because it could not be further from the truth!!!
      by Carl Kolchack on Dec 7, 2011 at 01:56 PM in reply to Data Man
      America is always capitalized.
      by Anonymous on Dec 7, 2011 at 02:59 PM in reply to Data Man
      you got 1 part correct, he is running this country, running it straight in the ground.
      by Anonymous on Dec 7, 2011 at 03:47 PM in reply to Data Man
      He needs to be punish. And if I was Obama I wouldn't want to run another 4 years trying help these selfish stinky people.
      by Obama Snake Oil co on Dec 7, 2011 at 04:15 PM in reply to Data Man
      I suppose Jeffrey Dolmer was one of your heros too. Did you think Adolf Hitler was a good business man too? Did you think Blogo was an upstanding honest man too? Geez...weak...real weak.
      by Ace on Dec 7, 2011 at 04:27 PM in reply to Data Man
      And Black America loves anything that Obama is a part of!

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 135185308 - witn.com/a?a=135185308