Bales To Be Charged With Murder In Afghan Killings

A U.S. official says Army Staff Sgt. Robert Bales will be charged with 17 counts of murder in the massacre of Afghan villagers.

The official says charges against Bales also include six counts of attempted murder and six counts of aggravated assault and other violations of military law.

The official spoke on condition of anonymity because the charges had not been announced.

The 38-year-old soldier allegedly gunned down nine Afghan children and eight adults as they slept in their homes in two southern villages.

• by Devil Dog Location: Greenville,NC on Mar 23, 2012 at 12:21 PM
    To Anonymous...I was in the Corps for 21 years and worked civil service for 12 so I'm not a moron. Waste, fraud and abuse is abound throughout the military and civil service. The mind does strange things and one who deploys 3 and 4 times has mental breakdowns. I personally witnessed it. I'm sure this S/Sgt had mental issues. I'm not a war monger, but in 2001 we were attacked killing 3,000 innocent men women and children.
      by Truth on Mar 23, 2012 at 01:40 PM in reply to Devil Dog
      It is a shame how soon people forget 9/11......very sad. There was NO remorse from that country for all of those INNOCENT people that got murdered that day.
  • by Soldier on Mar 23, 2012 at 11:51 AM
    I can't believe all of the tit for tat comments. Comparing it to the Fort Hood incident... which is equally unforgivable... but the almost understanding or defense of this animal is beyond me. Being a soldier in the US Military is a privilage. We are supposed to be above the anarchy and uncivilized natures of the enemy we engage. There are rules to War. And War is a last resort tool to acheive a politcal end. Not to be celebrated nor vilified.
  • by Anonymous on Mar 23, 2012 at 10:07 AM
    After all the comments yesterday about soldiers just shut up and follow orders, I am left to wonder if he was just not following order.
  • by Really?? Location: Coastal NC on Mar 23, 2012 at 08:26 AM
    I realize what this soldier did is wrong but it sounds like they are ready to have him put to death as soon as they can. What about the Muslim Major Hasan that killed all of those innocent people at Fort Hood? He is still with us people! He was a psychiatrist with a cushy office job......not deployed multiple times and suffering from head injuries and war results. I am getting tired of the "do no evil holier-than-thou" blind-folded opinions. Remember 9/11....????? Were they not innocents too?????
      by Votto on Mar 23, 2012 at 10:34 AM in reply to Really??
      We already saw your first post of almost the exact same thing OSOC, we get it. You are a pretty sick person to think that someone should not be punished after killing innocent people. Kinda funny since on your blaze account you openly talk about shooting innocent american citizens, you justify it by calling them "libterds" though.
        by Anonymous on Mar 23, 2012 at 01:14 PM in reply to Votto
        you must be an extremelt paranoid person to think most of these posts are from OSOC. You have accused me of being him several times. I can assure you that OSOC and I are neither the same sex nor the same race. They have drugs available for paranoid people. It may be time you check into it.
          by Votto on Mar 23, 2012 at 01:51 PM in reply to Anonymous
          The fact that you responded to this as multiple people just furthers my point, thanks
        by Really?? on Mar 23, 2012 at 01:35 PM in reply to Votto
        I have no idea who you are talking to....who in the world is OSOC? Are you for real?
  • by Bubba on Mar 23, 2012 at 07:32 AM
    Don't feel sorry for this animal. He was entrusted with the honor of being a soldier. He betrayed that honor and therefore has none. Killing children in their sleep is cowardly... he tarnished the honor of his fellow troops and should be shot by firing squad. There is no excuse.
  • by Devil Dog Location: Greenville on Mar 23, 2012 at 07:18 AM
    Thank the Democrats, as far back as Jimmy Carter, Bill Clinton and now the current occupant of the white house. The Dems cut the military to the bone and now they are cutting benefits for active duty and retired military. Reduce the number of federal employees by 25% instead of cutting the military budget. Without a strong military your freedom is at risk. Bring back the draft so the so called experts have a piece of the action. Semper Fi!!!
      by Anonymous on Mar 23, 2012 at 10:27 AM in reply to Devil Dog
      That's a flat out lie. The military has never been cut to the bone. The current defense budget is over 600 billion dollars and in all reality, is closer to a trillion. And they are reducing the number of federal employees, members of the military are still government employees. And you're a moron if you think cutting the (already bloated military budget) military is going to reduce the overall strenght or their capabilities. You're propaganda and fear-mongering has no place in a rational society. People like you are the reason we're forced to go to war in the first place.
  • by Researcher Location: ECU on Mar 23, 2012 at 06:03 AM
    I looked up the effects of IED's. When an IED hits you, it usually goes up your body into the abdomem. It takes legs, genitals, and arms as well as other horrible injuries. When you see some of our young soldiers who come back with no legs possibly no arms and unable to have children, maybe you will begin to see a tiny bit of what they endure. These soldiers are barely out of their teens. Some people will say they knew what they were getting into but I can assure you they do not know the full impact of this until they see it. When I saw the videos on the computer, I was shocked. We, as Americans, are not told the truth. It is buffered in the news but look for yourself and see the true horrors. What this soldier did was not right but it is understandable when you know the facts. He had been hit by IED's and seen friends killed by them. He should have never been sent back. Please take a little time and research what the devices are doing to our young men and women. I am not trying to change how you feel about what he did, but maybe with a little insight you can find some compassion for him.
  • by Anonymous on Mar 23, 2012 at 04:47 AM
    see by reading these comments i see where this country has gone! charge a soldier with murder for killing some he was at war with! all of you sayin he needs to be ounished suck! and for woody williams with your bible qoute, there a several instances in the bible where gods people were sent to war and killed folks. read your bible cause you just look like a normal hypocrite.
      by Anonymous on Mar 23, 2012 at 10:23 AM in reply to
      He was at war with unarmed women and children? Must be a coward then.
  • by Anonymous on Mar 23, 2012 at 04:25 AM
    People! C'mon, most of us will never know what this soldier has been through while at war. WAR IS HELL! Does it make it right that he done what he did? No, absolutely not. I think he should be punished, but not charged with murder. Those men over there kill our soldiers every day! I'm sure they aren't on trial for murder. Why can't we still stnad up for these men that fight for our freedom, even if we have to say "Yeah, he done something very wrong, I do not support his doings, but consider the circumstances. He is a United States soldier. He stands in front of us, so I will stand behind him." He probably saw many of his buddies killed right in front of him. I have seen families that suffer from losing their soldier, I can't even imagine the pain the soldiers go through when their brothers are killed in front of them. I pray for his family, as well as the innocent lives and families suffering overseas.
      by seriously? on Mar 23, 2012 at 04:47 AM in reply to
      He murdered 17 people..not soldiers..not bad people...extremely poor and innocent people. They lived in horrible conditions! "Those men over there"...not everyone in Afghanistan hates the US..in fact, ask anyone who's been, and most of them will tell you how nice most of the villagers typically are. War is hell, and I understand that..but that doesn't give him the right to not get charged with murder...9 children..read the details..he's a monster and he needs to go away forever.
      by Anonymous on Mar 23, 2012 at 05:47 AM in reply to
      I also do not think he should be charged with murder. You said a mouthful when you said WAR IS HELL. I, too, will stand behind this soldier no matter what. I do not know what it is like to have a loved one die in war but I lost a loved one to war. When my loved one returned, he was no longer the same man. He saw so much tragady, he was forever changed. He said even the woman and children would kill Americans. Can you imagine having to look over your shoulder every second in order to protect your own life while fighting for theirs? He no longer showed affection, was violent, had PTSS, drank to forget the horrors he want through, and I was afraid of him and what he may do to me. I lost him even though we lived in the same house. It took many years for him to find his way home. I am only thankful that he did as I loved him dearly. War can all but destroy the soldier and his wife and children whether he dies or lives and returns home. Time for the war to end. We will never change the Women and children are taught to hate us and are sometimes used to harm us. When will the "powers that be" accept they don't want us there, we've been there too long, when we leave things will go back as they were and IT IS TIME To BRING OUR PEOPLE HOME!!!! How many more do we have to lose through death or mental trauma?
  • by woody williams Location: Jacksonville nc on Mar 23, 2012 at 02:20 AM
    My honest opinion is that this solider should be sentence to Life in Prison, no parole,1 year Saltary, But No Death Roll,,because the Bible says Thy Shall No Kill!!

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 143912466 - witn.com/a?a=143912466