AT&T Agrees To Drop Bid For T-Mobile

AT&T says it is ending its $39 billion bid to buy T-Mobile USA after facing fierce government objections.

The cellphone giant said Monday that the actions of the government to block the deal do not change the challenges of the wireless phone industry, which it says requires more airwaves to expand.

AT&T's purchase of T-Mobile from Deutsche Telekom of Germany would have made it the largest cellphone company in the U.S. AT&T is currently the country's second-largest wireless carrier, while T-Mobile is the fourth-largest.

The Justice Department sued to block the merger on Aug. 31, saying it would reduce competition and lead to higher prices.

Last month, the companies withdrew their application to the Federal Communications Commission after its chairman also opposed the deal.


You must be logged in to post comments.

Username:
Password (case sensitive):
Remember Me:

Read Comments

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
  • by Audra Location: SoCal, unfortunately on Dec 19, 2011 at 11:56 PM
    Be glad. AT&T sucks. If you had T mobile, then you'd end up with sucky AT&T involved. Prices would likely go up, not down.
  • by Harry Paratesties Location: Jacksonville on Dec 19, 2011 at 09:40 PM
    That figures! Our Government sticking it's nose into business again trying to keep prices down! They know what they are doing will increase prices so that's what they want. Higher prices means higher taxes and charges on your bill! Thanks a pantload Government! It was just AT&T buying one company. There are dozens of phone companies, why is two joining together going ot make higher prices? Why? BECAUSE THE GOVERNMENT SAYS SO!!
WITN

275 E. Arlington Blvd. Greenville, NC 27858 252-439-7777
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 135897428 - witn.com/a?a=135897428
Gray Television, Inc.