Bug Spray May Be Responsible For Infant Death

Authorities say bug spray that produces a fog to kill insects may be to blame for the death of a 10-month-old South Carolina boy and his critically injured 2-year-old brother.

Anderson County Deputy Coroner Don McCown said the boys' mother had been using foggers because of an insect problem. Elizabeth Whitfield called 911 on Sunday to report her youngest boy was having trouble breathing. Paramedics took all three to a hospital, where Jacob Whitfield died.

Kenneth Whitfield remained in critical condition, and Elizabeth Whitfield returned to the ER with breathing problems.

McCown says investigators found seven fogger containers in the single-wide mobile home. He says a single fogger is typically used to treat 6,000 cubic feet.


You must be logged in to post comments.

Username:
Password (case sensitive):
Remember Me:

Read Comments

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
  • by debra Location: kinston on Nov 3, 2009 at 11:23 AM
    Im with you Kathy..no matter what - ACCOUNTABILITY !!! I have lost a child that was murdered. I KNOW that the mom must be going thru hell with this...BUT - She cant really blame anybody but herself. If she couldnt read....she should have asked somebody.
  • by J Location: New Bern on Nov 3, 2009 at 09:36 AM
    One fogger works for ~800sq/ft. 2 foggers should take care of a single wide I would think maybe 3. But 7? And this woman did not pay the ultimate price. That would be the baby.
  • by Ann Location: Pitt County on Nov 3, 2009 at 09:31 AM
    Thoughts and prayers to this family. And, this Mother IS paying the ultimate price, what a heartbreaking story.
  • by Audra Location: SoCal on Nov 3, 2009 at 07:20 AM
    Well, call me heartless too then.. because I don't feel as sorry for the mother as I do for the BABY. Hello people! We used foggers in our home a few times when I was young, and it was ALWAYS done according to instruction. The correct number for the space, set it and run out, stay out for longer than recommended, then come back and open the front door and wait. Then after a while, hold your breath to go in and open windows. It's a lethal chemical & should be treated as such. The ONLY slack I would cut would be if one of them had a sensitivity to it & reacted even after the air was cleared. The fact that all present were affected AND the usage far exceeded necessity and plain instructions however, tells me that this was gross negligence. Im appalled. Sorry.
  • by Stacey Location: Greenville on Nov 3, 2009 at 06:28 AM
    This is terrible. I have to agree with Kathy though. I am a mother and I have made mistakes, but you have to have a little common sense. It is sad that she is paying the ultimate price, my thoughts are with her.
  • by me Location: enc on Nov 3, 2009 at 06:15 AM
    Kathy, I am sure the mother is out of her mind concerning the death of her son. I will be praying for her and her family during this difficult time.
  • by Jim Location: Washington on Nov 3, 2009 at 06:15 AM
    I'm with Kathy on this one. This just boils down to plain old common sense and this mother obviously didn't have any. I do feel sorry for the mother though, I'm sure she did not mean for this to happen but still, what was she thinking? Or was she thinking at all??? Apparently not!
  • by Lisa Location: Bath on Nov 3, 2009 at 05:31 AM
    I am sure Kathy that you never did anything incorrect as a mother...if you are one! It is so easy to point out what someone else did wrong when you are on the outside looking in. This mother is paying the ultimate price...the loss of a child.
  • by mom on Nov 3, 2009 at 04:52 AM
    Nice Kathy. Like the mom is hurting enough.
  • by Kathy Location: NC on Nov 3, 2009 at 02:21 AM
    Didn't this mother read the directions on the can? I do believe the cans say to leave the premisses up to 2 hours while the fog is in the air, and open windows to let the place air out. What did she do? Set the foggers while the children were in the home ? I would say that was neglect on her part.
WITN

275 E. Arlington Blvd. Greenville, NC 27858 252-439-7777
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 68833727 - witn.com/a?a=68833727
Gray Television, Inc.