REPORT: Feds Withheld Research On Driver Cell Phone Use

A published report says hundreds of pages of research and warnings about the hazards of drivers using cell phones were withheld from the public for fear of angering Congress.

The New York Times quotes Dr. Jeffrey Runge, the former head of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. Runge says he was urged to withhold the findings because some members of Congress had warned the agency against lobbying states. He says transit officials told him billions in financing could be jeopardized.

The Times reports the research findings were obtained by the Center for Auto Safety and Public Citizen through Freedom of Information requests.

Among the findings is that driver distraction contributes to about 25 percent of all police-reported traffic crashes.

Research also found that even with hands-free devices, a cell phone conversation takes the driver's focus off the road.


You must be logged in to post comments.

Username:
Password (case sensitive):
Remember Me:

Read Comments

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
  • by here Location: here on Jul 21, 2009 at 06:30 AM
    Good!! Anger them, maybe they will actually do something!!!!!!
  • by concerned on Jul 21, 2009 at 05:50 AM
    "distraction contributes to about 25 percent of all police-reported traffic crashes." What type of distraction does that include? And what contributed to the other 75 percent of the crashes? Details please!!!! I could really care less if something makes congress angry, they keep us upset and worried all the time.
  • by inflammatory reporting on Jul 21, 2009 at 03:41 AM
    how does this say congress would be 'angry'? all i can see is that SOME MEMBERS OF CONGRESS warned against lobbying states. im no lover of our government but im starting to lose my appreciation for those that are given the duty to report the FACTS of news (without embellishment). thankyou
WITN

275 E. Arlington Blvd. Greenville, NC 27858 252-439-7777
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 51298202 - witn.com/a?a=51298202
Gray Television, Inc.