Iraq Military: Attacks Decline, But Could Continue

BAGHDAD -- The Iraqi military says insurgent attacks are on the decline, but predicts they could continue for a few more years.

Gen. Babaker Shawkat Zebari, the army chief of staff, also says Iraqi troops will get help from American forces if they need it.

U.S. combat troops completed a withdrawal from Iraqi urban areas at the end of last month and are scheduled to pull out of the country by the end of 2011.

Zebari spoke Sunday at a news conference after meeting Iraq's top Shiite cleric, Grand Ayatollah Ali al-Sistani, in the holy Shiite city of Najaf, south of Baghdad.


You must be logged in to post comments.

Username:
Password (case sensitive):
Remember Me:
WITN

275 E. Arlington Blvd. Greenville, NC 27858 252-439-7777
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 50577277 - witn.com/a?a=50577277
Gray Television, Inc.