NEW INFO: Prosecutor: School Shooter Chose Random Victims

A prosecutor says the 17-year-old suspect in a fatal Ohio school shooting didn't know his victims and chose them randomly.

Prosecutor David Joyce said at Tuesday's hearing in Chardon, Ohio, that suspect T.J. Lane admitted firing 10 shots at Chardon High School.

At the hearing, Judge Timothy Grendell imposed a gag order on opposing attorneys at the prosecutor's request and told the media not to photograph the boy's face. He is a juvenile.

The boy was ordered held for at least the next 15 days. Prosecutors have until March 1 to charge him.

Three student have died as a result of the shootings. 2 others were wounded as well.

Previous Story:

A Cleveland hospital says another student wounded in an Ohio high school shooting has died, bringing the death toll to three.

MetroHealth System said Tuesday that Demetrius Hewlin died Tuesday morning. He had been in critical condition.

Hewlin was a student at Chardon High School. He was among several shot by a gunman in the school cafeteria Monday morning.

Hewlin's family says in a statement he was a happy young man who loved life and his family and friends.

The teenage suspect faces a juvenile court hearing Tuesday afternoon.

(Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)


Previous Story

A second teenager injured when a gunman opened fire at Chardon High School is suburban Cleveland has died.

Authorities say 17-year-old Russell King died from his injuries after the shooting at school early Monday morning. Three others are in hospitalized; one is in critical condition.

The gunman identified as TJ Lane remains in custody. Authorities say he attended a school for at-risk kids and took the bus to that school from Chardon High School each morning. He was arrested without incident shortly after the shooting about a half-mile from the school.

Fellow students said on The Today Show that Lane was "quiet and never stood up for himself." "He was a really, nice, quiet, honest-looking kid. He never had anything mean to say about anybody," the student told Today's Ann Curry.



Previous Story
Authorities say two of the four students injured in a fatal shooting at an Ohio high school are in critical condition.

Police Chief Tim McKenna says the investigation into Monday's shooting at Chardon High School "is going to be very long."

Officials had said earlier that one student had died and four were injured. A teenager described as a bullied outcast was arrested shortly after the shooting.

A student who witnessed the attack says it appears the suspect targeted a group of students sitting in the cafeteria.

Officials say they will focus in the next few days on grief counseling for survivors and families. Classes will be canceled Tuesday.

A candlelight service is being planned for Tuesday evening at a church across from the school.

(Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)


Previous Story

FBI officials aren't commenting on a motive in today's shooting at a high school in northeast Ohio that left one student dead and wounded four others.

But a 15-year-old student who witnessed the shooting says the gunman was an outcast who had apparently been bullied.

Danny Komertz says the shooter took aim at a group of kids sitting at a table in a cafeteria, and fired two shots quickly as students scrambled for safety. One student, he says, was trying to get under a table to protect himself. He says that's the student who was killed.

The suspect, whose name hasn't been released, was arrested near his car a half-mile away.

Student Heather Ziska says she was in the cafeteria when she and others heard popping noises in the hall. She says a boy she recognized as a fellow student came into the cafeteria and started shooting.

She and several others ran outside, while others ran to a middle school or locked themselves in a teacher's lounge.

Text messages started flying inside and outside the school spreading information about what was happening and what friends and family were hearing outside the building.

(Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)


Previous Story

An FBI spokeswoman says five students were injured when a shooter described as a classmate opened fire at an Ohio high school.

Special Agent Vicki Anderson said Monday the shooter was taken into custody near his car about half a mile away from the high school.

A spokeswoman for the Cleveland Clinic says two students were taken to the clinic's Hillcrest Hospital in suburban Cleveland.

A spokeswoman for the Cleveland MetroHealth System says an additional three students were taken to the Cleveland hospital.

There was no word on the extent of injuries.

(Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WITN

275 E. Arlington Blvd. Greenville, NC 27858 252-439-7777
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 140567193 - witn.com/a?a=140567193