Camp Lejeune has joined Cherry Point in placing dozens of Onslow County businesses "off limits" because they sell synthetic marijuana known as Spice or K2.
The order from the base commander--effective February 7--lists 24 businesses in Jacksonville, Maysville, Richlands, and Sneads Ferry. Last week 19 establishments in Craven and Carteret counties were put on the off limits list by Cherry Point.
Last year Marines were told they could not use the synthetic marijuana...even though it is still legal to purchase in North Carolina.
Here is a list of the additional businesses placed off limits:
1. Coastal Smoke Shop, 214 Brynn Marr Rd. Jacksonville, NC
2. Nash Market, 237-4 New River Dr. Jacksonville, NC
3. Dash-In, 1316 Hargett St. Jacksonville, NC
4. Kwik Stop Mart, 311 Old 30 Rd. Jacksonville, NC
5. CJ's Quick Mart, 1010 Gum Branch Rd. Jacksonville, NC
6. Tobacco and More, 211-B Western Blvd. Jacksonville, NC
7. Reid's Mart, 461 Hubert Blvd. Hubert, NC
8. Smokers Post, 1042 North Carolina 210 Sneads Ferry, NC
9. Verona Quick Stop, 2894 Verona Loop Road Verona, NC
10. Discount Tobacco, 331 G & H Western Blvd. Jacksonville, NC
11. Tobacco Leaf, 215-100 Western Blvd. Jacksonville, NC
12. One Stop Shop, 501 Corbin St. Jacksonville, NC.
13. D's Quick Mart, Richlands, NC
14. Tobacco Club, 487-B Western Blvd. Jacksonville, NC
15. Hip Hop and Hookahs, 311 S. Marine Blvd. Jacksonville, NC
16. Speed Mart, 2601 Piney Green Rd. Jacksonville, NC
17. Moe's Mart, 2105 Belgrade Swansboro Rd. Maysville, NC
18. Tobacco Alley, 106 Hickory Rd. Jacksonville, NC
19. Belfast Quick Mart, 1500 Piney Green Rd. Jacksonville, NC
20. Tobacco For Less, 439 Western Blvd. Jacksonville, NC
21. Tobacco House Cigarette Center, 1213-C Country Club Rd. Jacksonville, NC
22. D's Drive Thru, 226 Wilmington Hwy. Jacksonville, NC
23. Kings Drive Thru, 1796 Gum Branch Rd. Jacksonville, NC
24. Express Way, 1261 Gum Branch Rd. Jacksonville, NC
Cherry Point has placed 19 businesses "off limits" to Marines for selling synthetic marijuana.
Last summer commanders at Camp Lejeune and Cherry Point told businesses not to sell "Spice" and "K2" to area Marines or face the possibility of being placed on the "off limits" list.
Marines have been told they can face punishment if caught using the designer drug and just Thursday a North Carolina senate committee voted to recommend legislation to impose penalties similar to real marijuana for possessing or selling a synthetic compound sold in gas stations and convenience stores.
The synthetic marijuana is legal in most states and is hard to discover through drug testing.
In an email from Cherry Point, obtained by WITN News, the order was effective February 1st.
The businesses are various tobacco shops and convenience stores in Atlantic Beach, Beaufort, Havelock, Morehead City, New Bern and Newport.
Camp Lejeune is also expected to list businesses on Monday in the Jacksonville area which are off limits as well.
Here is a list of the establishments placed "off limits":
White Sands 2610 W. Fort Macon Road Atlantic Beach NC 28512
(Big Daddy) Wesley's 317 Cedar Street Beaufort NC 28516
Tobacco Shop & Gifts 1712 Live Oak Street Beaufort NC 28516
Coastal Smoke Shop 233 W. Main Street Havelock NC 28532
Tobacco Outlet 107 Greenfield Heights Blvd Havelock NC 28533
Expressway, Ltd. 513 E. Main Street Havelock NC 28532
Food Fare 227 W. Main Street Havelock NC 28532
Super Expressway 807 E. Main Street Havelock NC 28532
Nadines Food Mart 4525 Adams Creek Road Havelock NC 28532
US Mini-Mart 221 E. Main Street Havelock NC 28532
98 Cent Only Store 1400 Arendell Street Morehead City NC 28557
Merv's Joke Shop 4010 Arendell Street Morehead City NC 28557
Expressions 167 NC Highway 24 Morehead City NC 28577
4950 Arendell St Unit 5B
Tobacco Shop & Gifts 1250 US Hwy 70 East New Bern NC 28562
Tobacco Outlet 1822 South Glenburnie Road New Bern NC 28562
Tobacco Town 1717 Neuse Blvd. New Bern NC 28560
Twin Rivers 2709 Neuse Blvd. New Bern NC 28560
Tobacco Shop 7075 US Hwy 70 East Newport NC 28570
H&D Express 3439 Hwy 24 Newport NC 28570