Injured War Vet Receives New Home

A marine who was injured during his tour of duty in Iraq took in three foster children when he returned to the United States. Now his family of seven is receiving a new home.

Staff Sergeant Vince Gizzarelli, of Jacksonville, is getting a new mortgage-free house. Crews will break ground on "Operation Finally Home" Wednesday.

Gizzarelli has been working to recover from a traumatic brain injury from injuries sustained from the war in Iraq. His family has also stepped up to be the guardians of the three Spillman brothers.

The youngest sibling, T.J. Spillman, lost some of his toes in 2009 when a pit bull puppy chewed them off. His parents pleaded guilty to child abuse. The Gizzarelli's are now the boys' legal guardians.

Now the seven members of the household can begin watching their new home being built.

• by Melvin Location: Jacksonville on Sep 1, 2011 at 06:41 AM
    There are some on this blog, that seem to have deep seeded personal issues with those who serve in the military. That line of thinking and or opinion is typical of a free society. But, it also should be kept in perspective that those who freely serve in the United States Military maintain that very same freedom to those who disagree. If a person doesn't believe in the Bible, that is OK. And if those same persons don't believe in a strong and dedicated military that OK to, but disagreeing with those who do believe in the Bible and the military by resorting to posting infantile and sophomoric comments about they're beliefs is indicative of a lack of understanding and humility.
  • by Original C on Aug 24, 2011 at 06:43 PM
    What's that you said, Voice? Could you please speak up, Anon 8-20-11 11:17 PM? Oh, that's right...you've both said exactly NOTHING since my last post, because you both know you're WRONG. You guys are part of a pathetic, self-deluded minority, and no one takes you seriously. You're lucky that I occasionally do indulge you, just to show you how misguided you are. I await your next posts, but I'm not holding my breath. Bring it on, comrades!
  • by Original C on Aug 20, 2011 at 07:40 PM
    Anon 8-20-11 9:14 PM: You're right, you can't argue with ignorance. But, I keep trying! Better to be a "cretin" who appreciates freedom and those who guard it, than a pacifist, commie ingrate.
      by Anonymous on Aug 20, 2011 at 08:17 PM in reply to Original C
      Why is it that anyone who disagrees with you and your fellow flag wavers are automatically branded as a "commie"? The answer should be the same old tired reply.
        by Original C on Aug 21, 2011 at 02:19 AM in reply to
        ...And how is that any different from labeling those of us who love our country as "cretins"?
  • by M Location: NC on Aug 18, 2011 at 04:39 AM
    Where can i volunteer for this project to help a wounded vet get this new home?
  • by Grateful on Aug 17, 2011 at 04:15 PM
    I remember when I first heard of the toe-chewing puppy and the sick feeling that I got in my stomach. When I heard this story, however, I felt joy and happiness for those precious children. Congratulations to a well-deserving family! God bless you all!
  • by Original C on Aug 17, 2011 at 02:04 PM
    Can't think of anyone more deserving! Now let's see how long it takes the anti-military / anti-America crowd to start criticizing this in their typical spineless pacifist style.
      by THE Voice on Aug 17, 2011 at 06:18 PM in reply to Original C
      Not long, C. This is another typical pro military publicity stunt. I'd rather be a "...typical spineless pacifist" than some warmongering, flag waving, hypocritical redneck. Incidentally, genius, you need to put a comma in between the words "spineless" and "pacifist". I am a pacifist, but no where near spineless. I served in the military, but got out when I saw the lies and deceit. People like you and the rest of the military lovers who post your tired, boring rhetoric are either too arrogant or too blind to actually see the big picture.
        by Original C on Aug 17, 2011 at 08:04 PM in reply to THE Voice
        ...And before you go playing English teacher, the word is "nowhere", one word, not "no where". Funny how you sniveling liberals say it's "free speech" when you voice your vile commie rants, but it becomes "rhetoric" when we true Americans speak up. For that matter, I believe that you served in the military like I believe Clinton didn't inhale. Furthermore: I don't drink. I don't smoke. I don't carry my wallet with a chain attached to it and my belt. I've never set foot in a bar. I don't watch NASCAR races. All in all, I'm pretty sure I am NOT a "redneck". But, I digress. It's because of our military that you have the right to free speech, which you hypocritically use to criticize both America and our soldiers. Yes, our Founding Fathers gave us that right and all the others, but it's our military that safeguards them. Thank God we didn't have people like you around in WWII..if we did, we'd all be speaking German.
          by Anonymous on Aug 19, 2011 at 07:47 PM in reply to Original C
          World War II is over. Get a grip.
          by Anonymous on Aug 20, 2011 at 06:14 PM in reply to Original C
          You cannot argue with ignorance. No point in it, Voice. These cretins are too busy running the flag and the bible down everyone's throat to actually have time to grasp what is going on.
        by Anti-Military on Aug 19, 2011 at 07:49 PM in reply to THE Voice
        We're here, Voice. We support you and those like us who loathe the "heroes". FTT.
          by Original C on Aug 20, 2011 at 02:48 AM in reply to Anti-Military
          ...and, thankfully, you and your kind are in the minority! Meanwhile, Anon 8-19-11 10:47 AM, WWII is over. But because our nation had very few folks like Voice and you back then..we won.
  • by hope Location: NC on Aug 17, 2011 at 11:04 AM
    Thanks for the sacrifice/service. Also, thanks to those that made this possible for this family!
  • by anon on Aug 17, 2011 at 08:53 AM
    FINALLY... something positive to report. God bless this family for all they have provided for our country and the love and care they will continue to provide for these children.
  • by dixiegurl7 Location: easternNC on Aug 17, 2011 at 06:28 AM
    God bless this family! Thank you, WITN for a heartwarming story. Looking forward to updates!
  • by anon Location: ENC on Aug 17, 2011 at 03:58 AM
    What a wonderful family this is! May God bless them all. Thank you for your service!

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 127924613 - witn.com/a?a=127924613