Charges Brought In Crash That Killed Young Father

The Highway Patrol has brought charges against an elderly driver who they say caused an accident that killed a young father. The head-on crash happened Wednesday morning on Highway 117 in Duplin County.

Troopers say 21-year-old Jonathan Norris of Beulaville was killed after the vehicle he was driving was struck head-on by another vehicle driven by 72-year-old James Mainor of Rose Hill.

According to troopers the crash happened on Highway 117 at Yellow Cut Road at 7 a.m. Wednesday. They say Mainor was traveling north on Highway 117 and did not see a car stopped in front of him attempting to turn left at the intersection. When Mainor did see the stopped car, he swerved left into southbound, oncoming traffic. He then hit Norris's vehicle head-on.

Troopers say Norris was in the car with his wife and 3-year-old child at the time. Both were transported to the hospital. Troopers say the child has a broken leg, meanwhile the wife does not have life threatening injuries.

Mainor was also transported to the hospital with non-life threatening injuries.

Troopers say Mainor has been charged with death by motor vehicle, driving left of center, and careless and reckless driving.

• by kasey malone Location: warsaw on Jul 21, 2011 at 11:58 AM
    i miss u cuz i really really miss u
  • by Gwen Location: Magnolia on Jun 21, 2011 at 11:09 AM
    My prayer go out to all that was involed in the accident.
  • by marry Location: warsaw on Jun 20, 2011 at 03:46 PM
    My prayers and my heart go out to both families, But by the grace of God. It could have been anyone of us.
  • by Terry Location: Concord on Jun 17, 2011 at 04:20 PM
    My prayers go out to both families. Those of us who are hurting as well as grieving,let us ask the creator to guide our thoughts,words,and actions. The scriptures tell us that he {God}gives power to the faint of heart and to them that have no might he will increase our stregth.
  • by Gloria Location: Chesapeake,VA on Jun 16, 2011 at 07:41 PM
    My thoughts go out especially to Julia and Angel, and to John's family. He was such a nice young man. While the driver of the other vehicle is being charged in this accident, I feel as another senior, that he needs our prayers as well. As Jesus said we need to pray for both sides of this awful story and to reserve judgement as the courts will take care of that aspect and God will do the judging. As for Angel and Julia and their families, my heart goes out to you. As a widow myself I understand what you're going through. Take care. Love Gloria.
  • by Lucinda Location: Wallace on Jun 16, 2011 at 05:59 PM
    Please Everyone, lets pray for all that are involved. It's a sad situation any way you look at it. May God be with Julia & Angel. We all make mistakes and it's just awful that Jonathan is no longer with us. Lets all remember that we have fathers and most of them are 70 or over. What if that was your father in this situation. He has to deal with this for the rest of his life. Lets not throw stones.
  • by Carlton Location: Duplin County on Jun 16, 2011 at 12:14 PM
    This was a tragic loss for this young man's family and for the driver and his family as well. There are no winners in a situation like this. A young father is gone and a man is left to deal with this tragedy for the rest of his life. I am praying for both families. Let's not pass judgement, because at any given time, this could happpen to anyone. Rather than judge or condemn, let's continue to pray for their strength during this difficult time.
  • by joyce Location: rose hill on Jun 16, 2011 at 11:29 AM
    johnaton ur and always will be my redneck cuzin julia said ur probly up in haven duck taping sumthing... watch over us and we will miss u
  • by Jim Location: Belhaven on Jun 16, 2011 at 06:15 AM
    This is a tragedy for sure, this young man certainly did nothing wrong, it was an accident clear and simple. I see drivers distracted all the time which must be the case here, to single out people over 65 as bad drivers is certainly a crock. I am 62 and have driven millions of miles without an accident. I travel all over the country and most of the time am being passed by younger drivers swerving speeding and changing lanes. My take is this every 4 years you should have to take a driving test. Could be on a simulator but for everyone. When you go to court you see only young people with tickets. Lets make everyone responsible.
  • by Sarah Location: Wallace on Jun 16, 2011 at 05:58 AM
    Jonathan.... you were so full of life and could always make me smile. You always had a smile on your face. Your memory will live forever in our hearts. You were a great cousin and I love you much. I never fed you that supper I promised for helping me move, but in Heaven you will be fed abundantly. RIP, love your cousin Sarah
  • by Frances on Jun 15, 2011 at 12:06 PM
    Prayers for this young man's family and friends.
  • by Formerly O.L.I. Location: ENC on Jun 15, 2011 at 11:56 AM
    How about that; a senior driver, who had more experience, didn't see the stopped car right in front of him, and swerved into oncoming traffic, rather than the side of the road...so tragic. Condolences to this young Father and son...so sad.
  • by Anonymous on Jun 15, 2011 at 11:55 AM
    My heart and Prayers go out to this family and all involved. May he RIP.
  • by Pam Location: Washingon on Jun 15, 2011 at 11:27 AM
    My heart goes out to this family. I'm so sorry for your loss and will be praying for your family.
      by christopher norris on Nov 27, 2011 at 06:23 PM in reply to Pam
      my heart goes out to my little brother who was killed june 15, 2011 its really realizing the fact that he gone. and to any1 who cares that man made a careless mistake every1 does he DOES NOT deserve what he going through

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 123909914 - witn.com/a?a=123909914