Woman Trapped After SUV Goes Airborne, Overturns

A woman was trapped in her wrecked car for more than a half hour this morning in Pitt County. This after a witness says the SUV went airborne and landed in a field.

The crash happened on Mills Road, off of Highway 43 around 10:30 a.m.

Firefighters from Eastern Pines took about thirty minutes to free the woman from the overturned SUV. A nearby resident, who was in his garage, heard the accident and saw the car airborne. The vehicle then rolled over once in a field.

The woman was coherent when pulled from the wreckage. No word yet on what caused the accident.

• by Chris on Dec 1, 2011 at 04:20 PM
    unless you drive down into a ditch & up into the drain tile of a driveway Gerry :)
  • by Gerry Location: Emerald City on Dec 1, 2011 at 10:36 AM
    The SHP will determine how fast this woman was driving before she lost control of her vehicle. IMO, you need to be moving right along to get a vehicle not designed for flight operations to get airborne.
  • by Anon on Nov 30, 2011 at 08:36 PM
    Women drivers...
      by cjc on Dec 1, 2011 at 04:08 AM in reply to Anon
      So, I guess that would be your one and only comment if it had been your wife, mother, grandmother, sister, aunt? How insensitive of you. I will add you to my prayers as you are obviously living a sad life with no compassion for others. May God's love find you soon.
  • by Kim Location: Black jAck on Nov 30, 2011 at 06:08 PM
    You are so right about that Marcela,You and those people are angels and if I was to ever see you or those I would thank you guys so very much for all ya'll did for my Grandma!! And as for Anonymous she was not speeding.
      by Anonymous on Nov 30, 2011 at 07:58 PM in reply to Kim
      I am sorry you thought I said she was speeding. I have no idea what happened but like I said I am glad she is alive. What I did say was a lot of people speed down 43 & the back roads off of 43. I know this for a fact because I have traveled 43 many many times for years.
  • by Jenny Location: Snow Hill on Nov 30, 2011 at 06:08 PM
    Bless it are the Angels among us!
  • by Marcela Location: Greenville on Nov 30, 2011 at 05:28 PM
    I am glad to hear that she's doing well. The man who lived right there and the home health nurse who took care of her before the EMS arrived are Angles. I stopped to help but those two had it all under control. I have been thinking of her all day. She's in my prayers!
      by Anonymous on Dec 2, 2011 at 04:23 AM in reply to Marcela
      Oops! Angels *
  • by Adrienne Location: Pantego on Nov 30, 2011 at 04:17 PM
    Hard to say what happened to her, but I know that on our roads around here that if anyone crosses the yellow lines and you have to swerve off the road, that new growth they have planted beside the repaved roads could sling you in any direction, for any reason...
  • by Anonymous on Nov 30, 2011 at 01:34 PM
    I am glad the lady didn't get killed. I live in the Eastern Pines area & yrs ago I use to take my son to Chicod school on 43. I am not saying the lady was speeding. What I am saying is people fly down 43 and fly down the back roads off of 43. There is no law enforcement around so they get by with it. It use to scare me driving my son to school because I felt like I was at the Daytona 500. If you didn't speed with everyone you would get run over.
  • by Kim Location: Black Jack nc on Nov 30, 2011 at 12:47 PM
    A big thanks goes out to everyone that was there to help my grandma. Thanks again!!!
  • by Kim Location: BLACK JACK on Nov 30, 2011 at 12:32 PM
    Thanks everyone!! She is doing good still in hospital. Waiting on the xrays and things to come back!! thanks again for everyone that saved my Grandmas life today!!!! Great thanks to all fireman,emts,and everyone else thank the Lord for people like yall!!!!

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 134756023 - witn.com/a?a=134756023