Woman Killed In Head-On Collision

According to highway patrol a woman was killed Saturday night after a truck crossed the centerline on NC 24 in Carteret County and hit her car head-on.

Troopers tell us it happened around 10 p.m. on NC 24 8.8 miles west of Morehead City.

They say a truck with a utility trailer attached driven by 27 year old Kerry Lupton of Morehead City crossed the center line and hit a car driven by 41 year old Robbie Brown of Hubert. They say Brown was killed instantly.

Lupton was taken to the hospital with non-life threatening injuries.

Troopers say alcohol was not involved, but they believe Lupton was talking on the cell phone at the time and got distracted. They say they are speaking with the district attorney Monday morning but Lupton will most likely be facing a charge of misdemeanor death by a motor vehicle.

• by Anonymous on Jun 9, 2011 at 11:16 AM
    to "angela" maybe you should think before you post random outbursts online or perhaps you need to learn to keep your mouth shut at times.... the victim was my aunt and you have no idea what kind of troubles this accident has braught my family!!!!! you act as if her death was a personal attack on mr. Lupton. for your information we feel feel as much pain for him as we do for ourselves. i have no doubt in my mind that he is a kind hearted person. mistakes happen and instead of getting yourself involved with something you know nothing about you should maybe learn to keep your face out of other peoples business:) the point is that somebody wonderful passed away and that your friends life has changed. so instead of picking fights with people online you should maybe spend your time taking care of him..... since you two are so close!!!!
  • by todd Location: lejeune on Dec 21, 2010 at 11:54 AM
    These were his charges before the killing, dont sound like he was a educated man at all 2343 Misdemeanor POSS STOLEN GOODS/PROP (M) 14-71.1 3536 Misdemeanor SIMPLE POSSESS SCH II CS (M) 90-95 2322 Misdemeanor MISDEMEANOR LARCENY 14-72(A)
  • by Anonymous on Dec 14, 2010 at 09:28 AM
    To "she was our friend" I wanted to express my sincerest condolences. I have a friend that just lost her 17 year old daughter in a wreck the weekend before this happened, also from Carteret County and it is absolutely horrible, especially right before Christmas. It seems to me, with today's technology, that DMV would have "simulated driving tests" that people should have to pass. Learning from your mistakes on the road is too big of a price to pay. I also agree with "Again" post. It seems ALL of this could be simulated and practiced until the person gained the skills necessary. They use flight simulations, so we have the technology to make the roads safer. To "Wilma" I don't know him well. He has worked to restore my house (from fire damage) for several days in a row the week before this happened, and was going home from my house that evening. My point is I don't think charges should be filed because it won't bring the woman back. Hurting him and his family is not "justice."
  • by Bonnie Location: Greenville on Dec 13, 2010 at 10:16 PM
    This story saddens me an I feel for the family of this young lady. I am sure that this gentleman did not intend to harm anyone, but he did none-the-less. He should not be judged because he was on the phone. Accidents happen. I have read where many have said that talking on a cell phone while driving should be illegal, and I'm not so sure that this is a bad idea. However, there are so many other distractions that could have the same outcome. I feel we should all pay more attention when driving and avoid being distracted.
  • by Again. Location: Greenville on Dec 13, 2010 at 05:50 PM
    I've said it before--some of us are very capable of driving and talking on a cell phone at the same time without causing an accident. Banning cell phones won't solve the issue unless you ban drinking, eating, pets, children, turning the radio, applying make-up or anything else beyond driving. I will not have my rights infringed upon by those who do not know their own limits.
  • by She was our friend Location: Jax on Dec 13, 2010 at 04:36 PM
    You have spoken of the character of the man in the wreck, but no one has spoken of the deceased. She was a brillian woman, a loving, kind soul that was friends with everyone. She was a dedicated, hard worker with a unique sense of humor and filled the room with her presence. She made us laugh, and smile every day, and we were blessed to have her in our lives. Her life was filled with joy and she loved every day. We are lost, we are hurt, we don't understand why she has been taken away from us. While you are all debating the laws and rules of the road, how about thinking about her family, her friends, the things she held near and dear. Think of the pain your senseless arguing is causing the family and those that loved her. Think about how it would be if it were your sister, daughter, coworker, loved one you were reading about. I have my own opinions and will not air those, because his family is probably reading as well. Two families are hurt over this. We miss our friend.
  • by Michelle Location: ENC on Dec 13, 2010 at 01:55 PM
    Very sad :( Lately, there's been a lot of accidents and i'm starting to get paranoid to even drive. I dread every night when I get off work because I travel 30-45 minutes from home to work depending on the traffic. This is so very sad. I feel even worse for the family of the lost one especially being that holidays are just around the corner. It seems like people's driving gets worse this time of the year.. Sending my condolences to the family.
  • by Wilma Location: Greenville on Dec 13, 2010 at 10:07 AM
    Angela, I agree with you for the most part. However, we must take into account that every decision we make, at any time of the day, at any place, could have an adverse effect on our life. You validate the background of this individual, and I have reason to believe that you know him well. With that being said, a very unfortunate thing has happened that will effect two families for the rest of their lives. In the court of law, he will be "guilty" of something. That's not being mean, but that will be a fact. The bottom line is that we read about these things every day, and it never is easy when you consider the number of people this has influenced.
  • by Angela Location: Swansboro on Dec 13, 2010 at 09:43 AM
    My point was he is an extremely hard working, and studious individual....very unlike so many other young people his age. If he loses his licence, and loses his ability to work, his family that is still here will suffer as many of them depend on him as well as his employees. It's tragic about the woman - no doubt - but I don't think he was "guilty" of wrong doing because I know his character. But yes, the phone records will prove it and I do agree people should be required to have a hands free system in their cars in order to talk on it. Also, road conditions were extremely wet that day and night. If the cell phone records don't show anything, I think no one should be charged. What ever happened to unavoidable accidents? Guess the state won't make money off of that though. I can certainly understand charging people that were speeding, being wreckless, or was drinking with a crime....but no of these were the case here.
  • by friend of the family Location: MHC on Dec 13, 2010 at 08:34 AM
    The young man was on his phone so he didn't fall asleep while he was driving.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 111763279 - witn.com/a?a=111763279