Woman Gets 25 Months In Deadly DWI Crash

A woman accused of drinking and driving when she hit and killed a Farmville woman is going to prison today.

Shaquanna Braswell of La Grange was arrested in June after troopers say she was driving while impaired when she caused a three car crash on Highway 258 near Wheat Swamp Road in Lenoir County.

In that crash 56-year-old Betty Gray of Farmville was killed.

After a trial Braswell was found guilty of felony death by motor vehicle. She'll spend 25 months in prison.

• by jim on Dec 20, 2011 at 07:27 AM
    ban alcohol, how about responsibility ,has nothing to with alcohol.grow up.
  • by jim on Dec 20, 2011 at 07:27 AM
    ban alcohol, how about responsibility ,has nothing to with alcohol.grow up.
  • by Opinionated on Dec 17, 2011 at 12:13 PM
    The only way to stop drunk drivers is to ban alcohol. It should be illegal just as drugs. Now I guess every one's attention is off Mrs. Betty and Shaquanna Braswell.
  • by 40some on Dec 15, 2011 at 02:30 PM
    Had she been a habitual DWI offender, she would have gotten 13 years. It's based on criminal history. There was a boy recently that killed the mother of his child. The girl's family swayed the judge and he got 7 days in jail.
      by CUZO on Dec 16, 2011 at 07:18 AM in reply to 40some
      She was a habitual DWI offender she had already had 3 DWI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
        by Anonymous on Dec 19, 2011 at 12:52 PM in reply to CUZO
        You are misinformed! If you are going to comment then research first! Its not that hard. Its public record. Also public record is the fact that the victims son testified on behalf of Ms Braswell. That had to be one of the most difficult things he has ever had to do. While his entire family did not and does not share his views I truly beleive he spoke from the heart eactly as God gave it to him. Also public record is the fact that Ms. Braswell is NOT married. She did however have a boyfriend. I truly understand those who were family and touched by the lives of both be it negative or positive.
  • by Keevon Davis Location: 4 Way on Dec 15, 2011 at 12:30 PM
    For those of you thats making negative comments about my wife need to sit back and think about praying for both families instead of being ignorant and stupid because the courts gave my ladie what they felt like she deserved so save all your negative comments or come see me if there is a problem because God is the judge at the end of the day! And you all have a wonderfull and blessed day
      by Anonymous on Dec 15, 2011 at 01:41 PM in reply to Keevon Davis
      Yep and she ended someone else's day - for good. People can pray for both families all they want but it doesn't fix anything for the ones that had an actual loss. Your wife gets a second chance. The victim doesn't. I hope to God she uses it the right way.
      by 40some on Dec 15, 2011 at 02:31 PM in reply to Keevon Davis
      Did you know the day or night that this happened that she was going to get behind the wheel after drinks?
      by Mother Of Two on Dec 16, 2011 at 10:41 AM in reply to Keevon Davis
      You should have told your wife Not to drive drunk she killed a woman that was tring to go to work!! Your wife should have stayed home that night.... R.I.P Ms. Betty
      by Anonymous on Dec 18, 2011 at 08:19 PM in reply to Keevon Davis
      Defend her all you want, if I had been the judge she would be doing min. 10 yrs. And now someone's saying she got priors. Please, be serious, she should be doing 20. Blame the court for this one.
  • by Anonymous on Dec 15, 2011 at 10:04 AM
    There is a lot that I could say concerning this case(from the inside)Was she wrong YES, 25 years or 25 months, she will live with what she has done. Could the same thing have happened had she taken too much NyQuil and caused the accident, Possible. Collecting Welfare and making babies, she had one son and a full time JOB. With a great support system from her parents(step as well)My heart goes out to not only her but to my aunt who lost her mother. It has been a long journey thru all of this. My prayer is that thru this that not only MOnique but all the readers and commenters would realize just how short life is and give thiers to Christ! Would I love for my aunt to have her mother when she needs her, yes, but I know she finds some peace in knowing that her mother was Saved and loved the Lord. We cannont hold this woman accountable for all drunk drivers. A new law went into effect just hours before this accident(if Im not mistaken)25 months was a result of that.Instead of "just "voting, listen to the people you are putting in office. Find out where they stand on issues that matter to you. Dont wait until the next person gets behind the wheel of a car drunk. No Im not taking a side in this. I just felt facts should be stated. I cant argue laws(that was not my field of study) I do however know family. I love the driver my cousin, and Bettys daughter my aunt. I pray that God continues to sthrengthen my aunt and turn this into ministry for her. I pray for Moniques son that he is covered under Gods mighty hand through all of this.
  • by Seriously? on Dec 15, 2011 at 02:20 AM
    She should have been tried to first degree murder. Everyone know the dangers of drunk driving and what can happen, so therefore she pre-planned the death the moment she put that key in the ignition. If you have enough money to go out and buy booze, you should have enough for a cab ride...or bus ride for that matter.
  • by P.Od. citizen Location: Bath on Dec 14, 2011 at 06:54 PM
    She should be imprisoned until the one she killed comes to release her. I mostly feel this should be the judgment on anyone that takes an innocents life.
  • by pete Location: grifton on Dec 14, 2011 at 05:24 PM
    How long will it be before she get's behind the wheel again 30 months? hope next time she meets the judges family.
  • by V on Dec 14, 2011 at 04:39 PM
    Do the members of the Assembly,the Governor of NC, the Attorney General and the DAs think if a sentence is represented by "MONTHS" and not "YEARS" when a homocide occurs, regular folks in NC will be fooled into buying the sentence is JUST? Last time I checked 25 months is 2 years and 1 month. Why is a MULTI TON VEHICLE not treated as a deadly weapon in NC? In NC, if you STAB, STANGLE, or are behind the wheel of a VEHICLE, NC devalues the LIFE the killer takes. WHY? WHY do the law abiding folks in NC allow it?

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 135580928 - witn.com/a?a=135580928