Woman Charged With DWI Following Accident

A woman is in the hospital after Highway Patrol says she was driving drunk and ran into a tree.

Trooper J.E. Lee says about 5:15 Monday afternoon 42-year-old Susan Mendell of Grimesland in Pitt County was driving a white Toyota van on Highway 43 about a mile south of Chicod near Ivan Harris Road when she ran off the road twice and ended up hitting a tree.

Trooper Lee says Mendell received serious injuries and was taken to the trauma unit at PCMH, but says it looks like she'll be ok.

Mendell is charged with DWI, reckless driving, and not wearing a seatbelt. Troopers say she has one prior DWI conviction.

• by Anonymous on Oct 20, 2011 at 09:09 AM
    I hear she has children. Thank goodness they were not with her. I agree wih the texting comment BUT drinking and texting is much worse. I would not want her involved with MY children at school. This is at least the second DWI. She does have problems but these things never seem to open ones eyes to really address their problem. She should be held accountable for her actions.
  • by Anonymous on Oct 20, 2011 at 08:28 AM
    Does it really matter... Texting... Drunk?? She was not acting like a responsible 42 year old. She was putting her life and others in jeopardy with willfull disregard. She should be held accountable.
  • by Anonymous Location: Vanceboro on Oct 20, 2011 at 03:44 AM
    I'm disappointed in both the law and the paper. People reading this assume the reason for this accident was alchol. This woman was reported to be driving terribly because she was texting while driving. She pulled out in front of traffic , drove much too slow went on and off the road a few times and then sped up too much still driving all over the road til she lsot control and wrecked. What ever happened to jouralism?? We got an e-mail from a witness who works with us telling us of the hazards of texting. There are too many idiot driving who think they can text and drive and they are causing accidents and no one is aware of why. I have to beleive someone could have checked with a cell Phone company to confirm this?
  • by Formerly O.L.I. Location: ENC on Oct 19, 2011 at 09:57 AM
    Nice that someone uses this story to make a smart remark about David Sutton, but I cannot reply to their remark.
  • by I don't drink and drive Location: Greenville on Oct 19, 2011 at 09:40 AM
    Was in a class full of 20/21 year olds the other day. It was really sad and scary to hear many of them say that they drink and drive.
  • by Anonymous on Oct 18, 2011 at 01:35 PM
    What haapened to the idiot that was chasing the truck and broke his nose right after the accident?
  • by Court Watcher Location: Winterville, NC on Oct 18, 2011 at 12:02 PM
    It does not matter. Our district court judges will find a way for her to be not guilty. Look at the stats: we have about 2 judges who do traffic-related court. Judge Vincent is one and Judge Leech is the other. Judge Vincent always find DWIs not guilty. I have seen him find a .18 not guilty. isnt .08 the legal limit? Your tax dollars at work......
  • by concerned on Oct 18, 2011 at 11:06 AM
    She works for Pitt County Schools. You think she'll keep her job???
  • by Greg Location: Greenville on Oct 18, 2011 at 07:57 AM
    I saw that accident yesterday and I couldn't believe all the rubber neckers standing in the MIDDLE of the road. I'm suprised hald of them didn't get run down.
  • by Shine Location: NE NC on Oct 18, 2011 at 03:23 AM
    Chuck says "Daytime drinkers" etc............. I agree that she may have a problem but no different than " night time drinkers". She could do shift work like 7-3 and wanted a few after work. Seems like she had tooooooo many - prob. ran out of smokes........ Problem is that the cost of a DWI and getting just the 'required' trreatment' is what we are going to have to pay for her. She will never pay it.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 132023978 - witn.com/a?a=132023978