Woman Burned In Grease Fire

A woman was burned in a grease fire that broke out in her kitchen this morning.

Greenville Fire-Rescue says the fire broke out around 10:00 a.m. at 201-A Kristen Drive. They says India Crockett was cooking in the kitchen when a pot caught fire. The 25-year-old woman tried to carry out the burning pot through her back door, but the fire caught both her legs on fire. She received second and third degree burns to both legs.

Firefighters were able to quickly extinguish a small grass fire that began when the victim threw down the pot. There was also significant damage to the kitchen.

The woman's one and three year old children, who were home at the time, were not injured. Crockett is at Pitt County Memorial Hospital, and according to firefighters the hospital is still deciding whether the woman will be transferred to the burn center in Chapel Hill for treatment.


You must be logged in to post comments.

Username:
Password (case sensitive):
Remember Me:

Read Comments

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
  • by joel Location: winston salem nc on Jul 9, 2011 at 07:17 AM
    To everyone,I want to say thank you for helping india crockett.she is doing great.she is in winston salem,still in the hospital but doing great she has a long road to go but i know she going to make it and that she is a strong yong lady,because she is my little girl.
  • by t on Jul 5, 2011 at 06:49 PM
    Thank you Formerly O.L.I. for using this board for something good. Too often these boards are used for mere pettiness and stupidity. Your advice may well save someone in the future.
    • reply
      by Formerly O.L.I. on Jul 6, 2011 at 02:04 PM in reply to t
      Thank you. That was my intention. Of course I hope the young woman gets better. For anyone reading, a big bottle of Aloe Vera is so inexpensive, but also the salt. It's the best way to snuff out a stove fire and good Mom advice, just like I got growing up.
  • by Mother on Jul 5, 2011 at 06:36 PM
    As a mother of 2 young children; if I had not thought prior to an incident like this happening then I may freak and in haste not think of smothering a fire out and only be thinking of how to keep the fire contained or away from my kids and to insure they don't panic as well.... When I was younger I was babysitting and had a stove fire and it freaked me out... it was the burner and it took me several minutes to think of the right way to put it out without alarming the 4 and 5 year old I was watching.... Thoughts and prayers for a speedy recovery for the victim and being thankful that the children were not hurt as well....
    • reply
      by Formerly O.L.I. on Jul 6, 2011 at 02:07 PM in reply to Mother
      Great planning. It is always best to be prepared (old Girl Scout training). I also had the young experience of a stove fire (girls are trained to cook like boys are taught to hunt). Glad it turned out alright for you. I do hope the young woman recovers well.
  • by Formerly O.L.I. Location: ENC on Jul 5, 2011 at 02:07 PM
    Basic info for a stove top grease fire is salt or flour...something to SMOTHER it. Old time cooking advice is keep a container of salt nearby and pour it onto the flames. Never try to run with a flaming pot/pan to a door or sink; the flames will blow onto your hands. Only takes a second of that to make second degree burns. Water is NOT recommended as it only spreads the grease fire. SALT is cheap and works instantly. In addition, always keep ALOE VERA (also cheap) in your kitchen by your sink. I always have and believe me, it prevented several scalding burns and grease splatters from ruining my arms/hands. My injuries happened when I was much younger, so parents; teach your cooking teens/children how to handle these things.
    • reply
      by CJC on Jul 5, 2011 at 03:37 PM in reply to Formerly O.L.I.
      Just wondering, in all of your "good cooking advise" do you happen to have any prayers or sympathy for this lady? Just saying, you may want to check your humanity level.
      • reply
        by Formerly O.L.I. on Jul 6, 2011 at 02:02 PM in reply to CJC
        Of course. My intention was to help 'prevent' future accidents like this. If you reread my post, I also suffered from some cooking accidents, but thankfully, I was prepared from simple family education. Maybe you should check your criticizm level. At least I offer some basic burn-prevention education.
  • by POPPA Location: Winterville, NC on Jul 5, 2011 at 01:22 PM
    Prayers for you young lady, some of us have been there and done that. It is a very very hurtful thing. Our thoughts and Prayers are with you right now. POPPA
WITN

275 E. Arlington Blvd. Greenville, NC 27858 252-439-7777
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 125031199 - witn.com/a?a=125031199
Gray Television, Inc.