NEW INFO: Woman Accused Of Attacking Her Handicapped Mother

A Jacksonville woman says she never assaulted her elderly mother with a hammer.

55-year-old Martha Martin is charged in Onslow County with assault with a deadly weapon, assault on a handicapped person and interfering with emergency communication.

Jacksonville police accuse Martin of attacking her 83-year-old mother, Pilar Martin, on Tuesday and disconnecting the phone when the mother was talking to police.

Martin, who is now out of jail, told WITN that she never struck her mom with a hammer. She said on Tuesday she was cleaning up the house and got mad, and threw a jeweled apple ornament. Martin says she accidentally hit her mother with it.

She says her sister, who also lives there, called police saying Martin was trying to kill her mother.

Pilar Martin also told WITN that her daughter did not hit her with a hammer.

• by blahblah Location: beargrass on Jan 22, 2011 at 06:45 AM
    for one thing the elderly woman looks scared...its amazing how fast people can change their stories...she hit her with the hammer for sure...where is the other daughters comment...
  • by Anonymous on Jan 21, 2011 at 03:52 PM
    If the police cannot help us when we need help- in whatever form that may be, what good are they? Everybody needs a little help at some point in their lives. As a former cop in Greenville, know a little about such things. This woman needs some help at this point in her life. Some of you need help with your spelling skills. Try a dictionary.
  • by Kaitlyn Location: Camp LJ on Jan 21, 2011 at 07:45 AM
    I think the most IMPORTANT thing that most are forgetting, is that the police have had multiple calls to the reside for domestic. I can say that to the majority, I domestic call is one to many. The police have to look at the call at hand. They most definately may remember the previous offender when at an address. So, I really think that while it may have been a mistake about what she was hit with. It was not a mistake that she threw something at her mom. She may not have wated to hit her mother, but she did. Now, she needs to shut up and face the music. I bet your control your temper in the future! Small spaces have that affect on people. If it didn't happen the way they say then a false police report should be filed. Stop wasting the cops time with your petty BS that you don't bother getting a Warrent for.
  • by anon Location: greenville on Jan 21, 2011 at 05:44 AM
    A lot of women have to care for their elderly parents, it's expected really. I've been taking are of people since I had my first child, and even now that my oldest is almost out of the house, I'm looking at having to care for my elderly mother. Basically, I'm going to be caring for people until I die. That's a lot of pressure for most women, it's exhausting, and I'm not saying it's right to lose your temper, I'm just saying that I get why it might happen.
  • by zz on Jan 21, 2011 at 12:11 AM
    think about it. If hit with a hammer where would a woman her age be at this time?
  • by B Location: NC on Jan 20, 2011 at 08:12 PM
    So Martha is trying to convince us that her sister and mother lied to the dispatcher, and she never disconnected the call? Sure thing Martha! Your mom will verbally regurgitate anything you've been feeding her, to get yourself out of this. You should be ASHAMED of yourself. If you don't have the patience to deal with it, put her in a residential home. You disgust me!
  • by anon on Jan 20, 2011 at 07:42 PM
    I cared for my grandma day after day, she had alzheimers and couldn't remember if she had eaten, taken a bath, or even if she had been outside or not. I would sit with her during meals to make sure she ate, because if I didn't, she wouldn't eat. I heard the same stories over and over again because she would tell me and five minutes later, she would tell me again. I have cried many tears watching my best friend, my grandma, have to deal with this, but would never have settled for her going into a nursing home. I know people who have been there and they don't give them the care they deserve and they are mistreated, worse than something hitting this woman could have happened in a nursing home. I've seen medicine being given to make patients sleep just so the staff wouldn't have to deal with them. This lady obviously wants to take care of her mother or she wouldn't be there day after day. Until you've lived it, don't judge. It could be your parent or grandparent and there's nothing sweeter.
  • by Anonymous Location: J'ville on Jan 20, 2011 at 06:37 PM
    Know Martha for the caring person that she is. Know her well. So many people are too quick to judge. Anyone that thinks eldercare is easy has not tried to do it yet. Per a local nursing home administrator, many people dump their family members in a facility and never come back. This is not the Martha I know.
  • by to jack on Jan 20, 2011 at 06:05 PM
    I "care" enough to have NEVER hit my mom with a hammer!!
  • by Rdouble D on Jan 20, 2011 at 05:33 PM
    Easy fix. Nerf Hammers!

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 114266419 - witn.com/a?a=114266419