Winterville fire officials say a homeowner was taken to the hospital after a fire broke out shortly after midnight.
Crews were dispatched to 97 Cooper Street, near downtown Winterville.
Fire Chief David Moore says the fire started with a wood burning heater and quickly spread to the roof.
Chief Moore says the homeowner, Stewart Paramore, was asleep when the fire started. Moore says Paramore made it out, but was taken to the hospital for smoke inhalation.
The home is just a quarter mile from the fire station and Moore says the volunteer crews arrived quickly and, with the assistance of neighboring departments, knocked the fire down.
The Red Cross went out to the property this morning to assess damages and is in contact with Moore for any further assistance that might be needed.
A house fire is under investigation in Winterville.
WITN's Chris Jones is on the scene and reports the address is 97 Cooper St. He says the one-story house has fire damage on the roof.
The house is located less than a quarter-mile from the local fire department in downtown Winterville. When crews arrived at the fire just after midnight, they reported flames visible from the roof.
No word on any injuries at this time.
Dispatchers say crews were sent to Cooper Street near the intersection with Cross St. in Winterville just after midnight. That location is just off Main Street, less than a quarter-mile from the fire department.
Crews reported that flames were visible from the roof when they arrived. The fire is out, but we're working to find out how serious the damage is and if everybody is okay. We'll keep you posted.