UPDATE: Homeowner Injured In Winterville House Fire

Winterville fire officials say a homeowner was taken to the hospital after a fire broke out shortly after midnight.

Crews were dispatched to 97 Cooper Street, near downtown Winterville.

Fire Chief David Moore says the fire started with a wood burning heater and quickly spread to the roof.

Chief Moore says the homeowner, Stewart Paramore, was asleep when the fire started. Moore says Paramore made it out, but was taken to the hospital for smoke inhalation.

The home is just a quarter mile from the fire station and Moore says the volunteer crews arrived quickly and, with the assistance of neighboring departments, knocked the fire down.

The Red Cross went out to the property this morning to assess damages and is in contact with Moore for any further assistance that might be needed.



Previous Story:

A house fire is under investigation in Winterville.

WITN's Chris Jones is on the scene and reports the address is 97 Cooper St. He says the one-story house has fire damage on the roof.

The house is located less than a quarter-mile from the local fire department in downtown Winterville. When crews arrived at the fire just after midnight, they reported flames visible from the roof.

No word on any injuries at this time.



Previous Story:
We are working to find out what sparked a fire in downtown Winterville early Wednesday.

Dispatchers say crews were sent to Cooper Street near the intersection with Cross St. in Winterville just after midnight. That location is just off Main Street, less than a quarter-mile from the fire department.

Crews reported that flames were visible from the roof when they arrived. The fire is out, but we're working to find out how serious the damage is and if everybody is okay. We'll keep you posted.


You must be logged in to post comments.

Username:
Password (case sensitive):
Remember Me:

Read Comments

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
  • by Destruction on Jan 11, 2012 at 03:15 PM
    looks like the fire dept really tore the house up.
    • reply
      by Fireman on Jan 11, 2012 at 06:04 PM in reply to Destruction
      You obviously have no knowledge of firefighting.
    • reply
      by ryan on Jan 11, 2012 at 08:53 PM in reply to Destruction
      it is nearly impossible not to go in a burning house safely with out doing damage and i agree with Fireman you obviously dont know anything about firefighting im not a firefighter at the moment but i will be soon for winterville Fire department hopefully and i know that you cant just walk into a burning house without doing damage and dont knock the fire department until you have been in their shoes i bet you wouldnt last a day
      • reply
        by Anonymous on Jan 11, 2012 at 11:18 PM in reply to ryan
        its not very smart to state your name and department, especially on a public forum. remember, you represent your department at ALL times so watch what you put on facebook and dont insult people especially if you arent even on yet. In reply to destruction in order to extinguish a fire, especially one in the walls and attic you have to cut multiple holes and spray water in the appropriate areas aswell as pull ceiling and insulation. WFD, WCFD and ROFD did an excellent job
  • by giggles on Jan 11, 2012 at 08:44 AM
    Love how all these comments sound like the came from a teenage girls slumber party. . .
  • by Shine Location: NE NC on Jan 11, 2012 at 02:54 AM
    Great..... guess while we were busy doing the GPS coordinates we somehow forgot to ask what building or business that had the fire?
    • reply
      by what??? on Jan 11, 2012 at 04:36 AM in reply to Shine
      Dude, that is a residential structure. It is mostly homes thru there with a few businesses. If it had been a business it would have been reported so. Have some respect for the family that lost their home and stop trying to make smart comments and work on giving support. Praying for this family. I am very grateful to the fire dept. for risking their lives to save this and surrounding homes. FIRE 15/51 you guys ROCK!
      • reply
        by Anonymous on Jan 11, 2012 at 05:36 AM in reply to what???
        Hmmm 41 was there too. Before 51. You are right up to that point.
        • reply
          by Anonymous on Jan 11, 2012 at 06:44 AM in reply to
          Don't say anything about 51. You may get kicked off.
        • reply
          by Robert on Jan 11, 2012 at 07:35 AM in reply to
          You get kicked off when you don't meet the minimum requirements for training and not being active. Hiding behind a computer and complaining shows your imaturity.
        • reply
          by Anonymous on Jan 11, 2012 at 09:41 AM in reply to
          or if you disagree with the board...
        • reply
          by Anonymous 2 on Jan 11, 2012 at 03:40 PM in reply to
          The board.... More like Kinfolks. PS Robert if that is true then how can you make up your own trainning hours, go on one call a year ( next to your home ) Thats not active.
WITN

275 E. Arlington Blvd. Greenville, NC 27858 252-439-7777
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 137078248 - witn.com/a?a=137078248
Gray Television, Inc.