Wind Farm Proposed In Pasquotank And Perquimans Counties

A company from Oregon is eying property in eastern North Carolina for what would become the state's first wind farm.

Iberdrola Renewables has filed paperwork to get 20,000 acres of land near Elizabeth City, where the turbines would create enough power for 55,000 homes.

“Developing our green economy is a cornerstone of my vision for North Carolina’s economic future,” Governor Bev Perdue said in a press release from Iberdrola Renewables. “Projects such as the proposed Iberdrola Renewables’ wind farm can help us lay the foundation for North Carolina to lead the nation in clean, homegrown energy.”

The company says the project, called Desert Wind Power Project, could financially benefit the landowners. Payments to local landowners could approach $1 million per year for the life of the project.

If the process is approved, construction could begin later this year.

• by Obama Snake Oil Co Location: Washington on Feb 1, 2011 at 03:37 PM
    W hat ? on Jan 31, 2011 at 07:39 PM, you are the perfect example of why I want marijuana left illegal in NC. You post nothing of substance...other than that you are using and you back it up with not one fact. Just conjecture on you part. Well, sorry, Pinocchio position is held by...wait....wait....Obama. My god man, that is the best liar in the club. Here is reality for ya, dingbat, I have many, many brothers and one sister...we are out there. Trust me...it happens. Now go to your hooey web sites for updates and lay off the pot. It shows little kid, it shows.
  • by Mel on Jan 31, 2011 at 05:52 PM
    Energy can not be stored with the exception of batteries. It is not that you can not build a antenna that get struck, but what are u going to do with the energy? How are you going to get it transmitted? You know how much a transformer would cost capable of stepping down that much energy? PS- it does not exist.
  • by HUH?(V) on Jan 31, 2011 at 05:08 PM
    To,W hat Ha,Ha,Ha,Ha,Ha!Give him a few minutes.He will fill in your empty space between your W and h.Trust me!
  • by W hat ? on Jan 31, 2011 at 04:39 PM
    WHAT?, now OSOC was at a farm with "300" Windmills, he just conveniently happen to have first hand accounts of the noise levels, just like he conveniently had a family member who actually found the WMD's in Iraq. This guy should be called Pinocchio, I bet his nose is 2 feet long. Stop your Lies. Which are you? Pathological, Compulsive, Chronic, or Habitual? Survey Says.........ALL FOUR!!!!!
  • by Obama Snake Oil Co Location: Washington on Jan 31, 2011 at 04:02 PM
    Mel, that is old news and old technology. We are building a MOX faciltiy in SC to make and recycle fuel just like in France. Jimmy Carter is the reason we stored it. The material can be reprocessed and used until the only product is depeated uranimum. That is the material we use for our military for armor piercing. I am not against wind, I just think people need to find out why its not a profitable enterprise before they buy into it. Is it worth it if you are paying $150 per month in utilities to jump to $400 a month? Again, google the grid expense the the complications of locating a windfarm here. Then see why the Oregon based company wants to come here after failing in other locations. Stay informed please as thinking this is lifes bread....well, the government is involved...scares the crap out of me.
  • by Friction not Fiction Location: Oregon HA! on Jan 31, 2011 at 03:47 PM
    This is a waste of money!All this technology and we still can not harness the power of lightening.I dont even want to hear that you dont never know where its going to strike.I am 45 years old and have lived in at least 10 differnt homes and 4 of them have been hit by lightening all 4 tv antennas.I have personally been stung by it three times.If I have the right kind of clothes on I can arc a spark about inch long certain times of the year.I have gotton small blisters from this on the ends of my fingers.I trip people out that I work with.I can reach out and touch certain things in the dark and one heck of a spark ignites but it hurts like heck everytime.It is a lot louder than a spark plug and hurts worse.Anyway,we can put a man on the moon,we can build a hubble telescope to reach out into the vast reaches of the universe,we can build a rover and let it roll around on mars and send visuals back to Nasa,we can split an atom but we cant harness the power lightening?Give me a break!
  • by Obama Snake Oil Co Location: Washington on Jan 31, 2011 at 01:36 PM
    Tyee, three mile island is a good example that the safety features worked. Chernoble, which used a different technology and reactor type, is a good example of the worst. I remember both events very well. The US had its breeder reactors shut down only leaving power generating ones. We are not talking apples for apples. The amount of radiation that anyone would have gotten at three mile island would be equal to a 5 hour flights at 40 thousand feet. Try to keep up, its a real solution to energy and maybe the only way to have electric cars. Wind will help, keep in mind, it only makes up .6% of the grid in America and is heavily subsidized by the government. Why? The return on investment isn't there yet. So the government is proping it up. Audra, as I posted before, in Reno, the only complaint was the noise. The farm I was at had over 300. It was pretty loud from the road.
  • by Mel on Jan 31, 2011 at 01:25 PM
    The biggest problem w/ Nuclear is the waste. Our standards are so high that we remove the fuel rods much more frequently than most countries. This causes a lot of waste and honestly there is no safe place to put it. Once its created you can not dump it, it has to be stored for LIFETIMES. Cost is associated with that. Plus, a nuc plant will take 10 years to build. We need power now. There has been a wind monitoring tower in Hyde County for close to a year now. Studies have to be done in order for the area to be deemed usable for wind farms. They can not just pick a spot & build them. They have wind mills all over Mt. Storm, WV. They do not make much noise, hardly any. How do u know what the wind is doing 200' in the air? Do u think that it is the same as here on the ground? Do you think wind measurements the weather man gives u are taken from 200' in the air? Fossil Fuels will eventually run out & I feel nuclear is the answer but they need to start building them now & build windmills
  • by Tyee Location: Harnett County on Jan 31, 2011 at 12:27 PM
    Ever heard of three mile island incident, how about chernoble (Russia) this matter requires great, great caution. Lives will be at stake. Ever heard of radio activity, radium? Radium kills.
  • by Audra Location: SoCal on Jan 31, 2011 at 11:44 AM
    Mel, you are correct. Melvin, I've posted the statistics previously about how many birds actually die around wind farms and how many die from cars on our roads per year and the difference is staggering. Birds arent stupid. They see the big blades and towers. There are not thousands of birds getting sliced up. That's a ridiculous myth. If you're going to debate whether you should have them or not, do it from a factual standpoint about cost and efficiency. It cracks me up that the same people who cry about tree-huggers will get in here and scream about a turbine chopping up birds. lol I will say this however, they are not "for show". They do provide quite effectively. I've lived in areas sustained primarily by them. I think the only real debate about them anywhere they are proposed is as it relates to funding. At least that's a sensible issue to bring up.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 114921694 - witn.com/a?a=114921694