Wilson Man Killed After Pickup Overturns On Hwy 264A

A Wilson man was killed after troopers say his pickup truck ran off the highway and struck a culvert.

Michael Smith died in the accident. Troopers say the crash happened Wednesday around 4:00 a.m. on U.S. 264 alternate near the Highway 58 intersection.

They say the 52-year-old Smith's pickup was traveling west on the highway at a high rate of speed. The crash caused the truck to overturn, throwing the driver out. A passenger, Timothy Speight, was injured and taken to Wilson Memorial Hospital.

The Highway Patrol says speed was a factor and alcohol impairment is suspected in the accident.

• by Hazel again on Jul 13, 2011 at 10:08 PM
    My father was killed by a train just last year. Dead is not my father. My father is dead. I am always sorry for any loss of life. I just think that the writers of this news station are lazy.This is nit the only story that read like a text message. It is probably not the proper venue to complain about grammar. Also yes of course I have better things to do.
  • by Teresa D. on Jul 13, 2011 at 07:54 PM
    I can't believe that someone is that petty over a word, when this man lost his life and his family is grieving. I wonder if it was someone in Hazel's family if she would still be talking about a noun or a verb. PLEASE GET A LIFE!!!!!!!
  • by Marie Location: Washington on Jul 13, 2011 at 06:37 PM
    People!!! Please a man died in an accident and you want to talk of grammar!!!!
  • by Its "grammar"... Location: NC on Jul 13, 2011 at 02:37 PM
    ..if you are going to argue about someone elses grammar, at least spell "grammar" correctly....
  • by Smh Location: Washington on Jul 13, 2011 at 01:26 PM
    A man lost his life and all you can do is ramble on about the way the author wrote this.
  • by To Hazel Location: Greenville on Jul 13, 2011 at 12:36 PM
    Hazel, thank you! I often read articles on this site that refer to Dead (used as a noun) and not only it is not proper grammer, it is also inconsiderate and impersonal! It would sound much better if it stated "John Doe of Wilson was killed in the accident", rather than "Dead is John Doe"....sounds so cold!!
      by Fiona on Jul 13, 2011 at 04:53 PM in reply to To Hazel
      Except in this case, "dead" is not used as a noun. It's used as an adjective, and it's usage is correct. Move on, folks.
  • by Hello?? Location: Greenville on Jul 13, 2011 at 12:35 PM
    To the writer titled Hazel V., please GET A LIFE!! You know what the reporter meant. You must not have a lot going on in her life to have to critic somebody's writing abilities. Just read the stories and go on with your life, PLEASE!!! P.S. I suggest you use Google to look up things instead of lecturing someone else. Thank you in advance!!
  • by Hazel VanOpynen Location: Greenville NC on Jul 13, 2011 at 11:58 AM
    The writer of this article should take note that Dead is not a person, a person can be dead, but dead can not be a person because dead is a verb. I had decided against commenting about this because of the high emotion involved in cases of sudden death but in the last article I read, the author (possibly the same author) made the same error. I hope that the author sees this and decides that the death of a person can be better phrased. If you need ideas on how to better say that someone has been killed or is dead, might I suggest using Google. Please stop using dead as a noun. Thank you in advance.
      by Josephus Jr on Jul 13, 2011 at 01:06 PM in reply to Hazel VanOpynen
      I seed exactly what yoiu saying,however This website is not a english 101 classroom & frankly i do not know a noun from a verb & do not care a hoot. Supprised you even mentioned it. It sure is hot down heer in Bear Grass wheer i live down heer. Go teach a english class somewhere else & leave us alone down heer
      by Check webster on Jul 13, 2011 at 05:08 PM in reply to Hazel VanOpynen
      The word dead is actually a noun, adverb or adjective. Definition for dead as a noun:one that is dead; the state of being dead; or the time of greatest quiet. (check webster dictionary) The proper verb is die or died. Granted the context in which dead was used in the story was a bit impersonal and in poor taste it was however grammatically correct.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 125492148 - witn.com/a?a=125492148