Video Shows Daycare Worker Scrubbing Child's Face With Mr. Clean Magic Eraser

A Pitt County daycare is being investigated by the state after a worker is charged with child abuse for scrubbing a child's face with a Mr. Clean eraser sponge.

This video from a camera at Angels of Tomorrow daycare shows the incident on April 23rd. You can see worker Selina Sledge allegedly scrubbing the child with the eraser sponge while holding him down. The child's parents says that left him with bruises, abrasions, and a chemical reaction.

The mother says It wasn't until months after the incident, after hiring a lawyer, that she was allowed to review the tape.

The daycare says the child had ink from a marker on him and the worker was trying to get it off and didn't realize she was using a sponge with chemicals. The daycare also says they contacted the parents and told them that their child had gotten marker on himself.

The worker involved, Selina Sledge and another employee, were both fired. Sledge is due in court December first.

The child's mother, Elizabeth Locasio, says the situation should have been handled differently. "I'm angry and I'm upset. I'm boggled that people can do that. Clearly he was in pain after the first couple of swipes he was trying to push her away. She had him in a headlock, he's struggling and she does it for two and half minutes."

Daycare owner Erica Harris says, "In my heart I don't think it was intentional. Her thought process wasn't I'm doing this to hurt this child, it was I'm trying to get marker off this child so that he's presentable for parents when they pick him up."

Sledge is due in court December first.

• by carolinagirl965 on Feb 3, 2011 at 05:42 AM
    This story sounds like it was blown way out of proportion. I tell you what I always used to see at school...kids with snot crusted up all around their nostrils with thick sinus just waiting for them to wipe it on their sleeve! Yeeesh. I never seen one teacher tried to clean a kids nose then.
  • by TO BEKAH on Dec 15, 2010 at 09:24 AM
    i know if my child was in pain, she would tell me. and she certainly would NOT happily play all day .
  • by 2 -year-old teacher Location: Jacksonville on Dec 10, 2010 at 09:11 PM
    LeAnne, I realized after I posted that the post I was responding to said "to LeAnne", not LeAnne. Sorry about that but I guess because you too know everything, you were smart enough to figure that out! Happy Holidays!
  • by LeAnne on Dec 10, 2010 at 03:15 PM
    To 2 year old teacher...If you read posts prior you will see that some one was (the no dog in this fight) was chastizing me for not being christian like with my opinion on this matter...I agree with everything you say because I know everything...just saying.
  • by to bekah on Dec 10, 2010 at 04:11 AM
    So tired of hearing "no signs of pain" thats bull !!! try it take a mr clean eraser and wet it then rub the underside of your wrist 7-8 times then tell me you fell no pain. than think how soft that babies face is !!! tell the truth. I did it and it hurt !!! you can lie all you want but that child was in pain. also to say the child didn't need therapy, glad you are a expert and know him so well. all child react differently. these parents should be thanked for protecting they child and trying to protect others!!!!
  • by Bekah on Dec 7, 2010 at 07:03 AM
    Ok, "to sally", Why would Melissa need to lie? I dont get where she has to save her butt in this situation? Just because Mrs Locascio is a doctor doesnt mean ANYTHING. And to "bob" The issue is whether or not this is child abuse. I dont see how it could be. It clearly isnt. When you scrub something you use a foward backward motion. As in this case you can CLEARLY see she is wiping. And it matters not that there was another child who was cleaned, it was the fact that BOTH CHILDREN PLAYED ALL DAY. with no signs of pain. We all know that she used the magic eraser on her face, it was NEGLIGENCE. not child abuse. WE ALL AGREE WHAT SHE DID WAS WRONG. It matters that the LoCascios are stating there son "cringes at the sight of cleaner" and that he supposedly has needed therapy. THAT IS CRAZY.
  • by to sally on Dec 6, 2010 at 07:50 PM
    people lie to save there butts!!! did you see were locascio is a doctor she doesn't need the money and it would go to her son not here anyway!
  • by Bob on Dec 6, 2010 at 07:46 PM
    I'm confused what the issue is here. The daycare owners admit, the video shows the daycare worker scrubbing the kids face with a cleaner-laced sponge designed to clean walls, floors, etc. This issue has nothing to do with any other kid or how anyone else was treated. It is about one child whose face was scrubbed with a sponge containing cleaners designed to get marks off wood, paint, tile, etc. Are those defending this action saying it is o.k. to use this on a child's face? I'm confused.
  • by Sally on Dec 6, 2010 at 07:34 PM
    Thanks mrs. roberts for speaking out about your son. Its good to hear there was another side of the story. The news story definately looked one sided. Im glad in court everyone will see this teacher made a mistake. I pray for her family. As i pray for the Locascio's. Its so sad that they are spreading such harsh words about this teacher. And saying this little boy cringes at the sight of cleaner is even worse. Why would people lie. It makes no sense. But it is in the lords hands now. He knows the truth, and knows his children make mistakes.
  • by Bekah Location: New Bern on Dec 6, 2010 at 07:26 PM
    Why are you attacking Melissa? She is only doing what Mrs LoCascio is doing and that is defending her son. I dont see how ANY of you can say that she is lying if you havent seen the video. I dont see what Melissa has to gain from coming up and lying. So evidently there has to be some truth in what she is saying. She was a parent involved so she was able to see the video. As for "to melissa" how do you know what Nathan said when his mom picked him up? Unless you were there, you are going on what you have heard. THE ONLY TRUTH YOU CAN GET IS THE EVIDENCE FROM THE VIDEO, not he said she said. We have two different parents with two TOTALLY different stories. Melissa has NOTHING to gain from coming up here and lying, the only one i see having something to gain is Mrs. LaCascio. Shes the one who has a case against the teacher and is claiming her child was "abused." Im going to say I believe Melissa. I havent seen the video and I dont know the involved. But she has nothing to gain from lying.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 110495789 - witn.com/a?a=110495789