VA Woman Finds NC License In Yard After Tornado

A Bertie County woman whose home was destroyed in Saturday's storm had one of her possessions recovered in another state.

The tornado demolished Mary Grandy's house in Colerain and blew her car across a field. But it blew her driver's license 90 miles away, all the way to Norfolk, Va.

A Norfolk woman found the license in her yard and returned it to Grandy.

• by stewart Location: allen williams on Apr 20, 2011 at 07:17 PM
    They should never have messed with those Moon Rocks.
  • by jerry Location: enc on Apr 20, 2011 at 04:44 PM
    That wind blew the mortgage off my neighbor`s house down onto mine, and now I have two house payments.
  • by Better than a fancy mansion Location: Jacksonville on Apr 20, 2011 at 10:17 AM
    The hurricanes don't much bother me. It's the tornadoes they spawn that I'm concerned about. As in Andrew, I belive it was called, that flattened Homestead FL. The wind gauges were pegged. The only real protection is a safe room or below ground shelter. The guy out out on Hwy. 53 with a earth covered bunker behind his mobile home only needed to go out back to his bunker and go to sleep for the night as they passed us. And people think he went over the top...
      by Formerly O.L.I. on Apr 20, 2011 at 01:19 PM in reply to Better than a fancy mansion
      Your right; an underground 'root celler' as it used to be called. I have been trying to come up with an affordable, healthy idea about making one all on my own. I'm sure a 6'x8' would suffice in a real emergency, for 4 people. Still working on the ground plans though.
        by Anonymous on Apr 20, 2011 at 03:44 PM in reply to Formerly O.L.I.
        Have read of some as simple as a semi buried old oil tank covered with earth or the large pipes used under roads/driveways... Steel reinforced concrete would be high. Anything that gets one out of that horizonal wind. Simple hand pumps would keep it dry enough to survive. One guy whose family survived in FL, while those around them died, built his own with instructions from the Internet.
  • by Sam Location: Kitty Hawk on Apr 20, 2011 at 10:03 AM
    That's crazy. I guess if the tornado hit the OBX, (Thank God it did'nt) then my license could have ended up in the gulf stream out in the ocean.
      by greene co on Apr 20, 2011 at 05:53 PM in reply to Sam
      or your house house maybe?
        by Anonymous on Apr 21, 2011 at 02:32 AM in reply to greene co
        Max Headroom.. is that you?
  • by wow on Apr 20, 2011 at 08:11 AM
    An andy's sign from snow hill was found in farmville
  • by been there Location: greenville on Apr 20, 2011 at 08:03 AM
    Yes, tornadoes are scary things! We have many days and sometimes weeks to get out of the path of a hurricane, but only seconds sometimes for tornadoes. In 1965, in my home state of central Indiana, my parents and siblings lost their home in a tornado, and my brother's birth certificate was found 70 miles away,and it was still intact. 52 lost their lives in my county, one being my choir director. Very scary.
      by Come on! on Apr 21, 2011 at 12:07 PM in reply to been there
      If anyone listened to the weather the week prior to the tornados they would have been expecting them. That does not always mean one can out run or hide from a tornado, but be assured that I'd not be shopping at Lowe's with approaching severe weather. It's the same way with Jesus Christ - we all have knowledge He's coming, but are we ready and awaiting HIS return???
  • by Formerly O.L.I. Location: ENC on Apr 20, 2011 at 05:21 AM
    Tornadoes are so scary. I read a story in Reader's Digest over 35 yrs. ago about what they can do. One incident was a home that remained intact but a bottle of aspirin was turned to powder inside the bottle; another was a thin broom straw that was driven into a tree like an arrow, without breaking. It's something to do with the barometric pressure involved. It's great to hear good folks returning these items.
      by jerry on Apr 20, 2011 at 04:40 PM in reply to Formerly O.L.I.
      That`s amazing, because I remember reading the same article!
  • by anon Location: ENC on Apr 20, 2011 at 04:58 AM
    Some friends of mine in Florence (Pamlico County) said mail was found mail which had been blown there from Jacksonville, NC. That was quite a long ways, too!
  • by Sick humor Location: The coast on Apr 20, 2011 at 02:53 AM
    TOTO we're not in Kansas anymore.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 120266104 - witn.com/a?a=120266104