Unemployment Up Again In State

Despite adding 16,500 workers in the state, unemployment in North Carolina climbed up in August.

New figures out today show the August unemployment rate stood at 10.4%, compared to 10.1% in July. It was the second month in a row that unemployment crept back up into double digits in North Carolina.

The biggest increase in jobs during August were those in the government, up 13,600 from the previous month. Trade, transportation and utilities saw the biggest drop with 3,600 fewer jobs.

• by you don't get it Location: Gville on Sep 16, 2011 at 05:40 PM
    Sorry but we should NOT have extended benefits without stipultion. Too many say well I get this money so why should I look for a job? Trust me many do this and who pays for them to sit home while you and I go to work and many barely get by. To get the money after a specified time the gov should have them doing volunteer work or whatever, and if they don't want to then CUT THEM OFF! Sorry but a year on unemployement is unacceptable in my book if you do NOTHING to get it!
  • by Anonymous Location: gville on Sep 16, 2011 at 05:34 PM
    The postal service is a self funding entity. Yes they are losing money but where else can you send a letter for a meager amount? They make more money on the frickin fliers from business to NOT wanting citizens, but yet they have a great service. Email, etc. sure put them at a loss but many times you need to mail and even certified. Don't let them go to the waysaide as they are a Needed business. Many just don't get that
  • by Lavon Location: Goldsboro on Sep 16, 2011 at 01:50 PM
    Im better off than I was three years ago and you know why? It's because I don't sit around and wait for some President or politician dictate my life. If your not better off now than you were three years ago then you need to figure out what your doing wrong because no grown man or woman should be broke. That's childish.
      by Anonymous on Sep 16, 2011 at 02:10 PM in reply to Lavon
      Yeah, most people drawing a check from the government IS better off, not so for the private sector working class.
        by Lavon on Sep 16, 2011 at 03:29 PM in reply to
        Im in the private sector and im fine so whats your problem. Since you hate Government jobs so much then why don't you go tell a military soldier that you hate his job because that's basically what your saying. Second of all who cares what you don't like.
        by Obama Snake Oil co on Sep 16, 2011 at 03:39 PM in reply to
        I agree, however, he should be afraid. He has a government job...yeah, he is a tadpole counter for water puddles. Its obvious from his posts. I have seen and heard posts from people with jobs like him. Like Barlow...he observes shrimp treadmills and counts the wheel spins every hour. However, both kept their jobs while teachers were layed off and they have no remorse or desire to get a real job like the rest of us. Now they have to worry that a republican gets elected and people actually have to go back to work. Then their jobs will be eliminated for real jobs. Of course, when gas prices went up, he wasn't effected. When stock took a hit twice...he wasn't effected...when food went up, he wasn't effected and when inflation went up on goods a services...he wasn't affected. Momma had a word for people like that...let him explain it to god...
      by Anonymous on Sep 16, 2011 at 02:52 PM in reply to Lavon
      Lavon something to consider.... the US postal workers have enjoyed premium pay, premium benefits for years now but watch and see.... it's coming to an end. Why ?? Because the postal service is going broke. The government is NOT GOOD at making a profit. They lose money on everything they touch. And how do they recover those funds ??? By taxing us more. And you can talk all the talk you want about taxing the rich, taxing business people more but that fact is.... any costs imposed on business or business owners is PASSED ON TO THE CONSUMER in higher prices. Last time I checked, the consumer is YOU, ME, US, WE. Get it ? I do not blame the businesses for this either, they have to make a profit. I do blame businesses like GE that do not pay any taxes at all. You remember them right, the CEO is in obamas cabinet. Or is he a czar ?
      by lavonI'mNot on Sep 16, 2011 at 03:48 PM in reply to Lavon
      Man you are funny.I dont mean as in HA HA either.Anyway tell that to 22 miilion unemployed and the most ever on an obama food card.
      by Anonymous on Sep 16, 2011 at 08:22 PM in reply to Lavon
      I am better off than I was 3 years ago but it is not because of Obama, it is because of the choices I have made. I am 39 and have 3 incomes coming in every month. I get my retirement check from the military, my VA disability (compensation) and I am currently working for a Fortune 500 company as a contractor in Afghanistan. Although the government is sure getting their "fair share" of my money.
  • by investor/trader on Sep 16, 2011 at 12:57 PM
    Warm up the printing machines. That will fix Europe and the US. Just Watch em do it. INFLATION!
  • by taxman Location: wilson on Sep 16, 2011 at 12:41 PM
    Well there you go. Manny of these Rethugican economists and politicians keep insisting that supply side economics was/is the answer. This began with Reagan and continues to this day. You woud have expected them to figure out that there must be a demand before anything produced by the supply side will be purchased. This demand is what causes the jobs to be created by the supply side not simply anonymous business people "creating" jobs out of nothing! Well, without jobs, after having exported them overseas, demand has been and will continue to be reduced.Don't need an economic genius or PhD to figure that out. Of course if the supply siders were figuring on having an expanded overseas market that will/would create jobs overseas; which is what many countries involved in "free trade agreements" require else they slap large tariffs in American goods and produce. I believe that economists and politicians back in Reagan's time, and even before Reagan,had this figured out but they just didn't give a d--n ! What you had was the US government and many/most US businesses ready to jump into any trade agreement that would be profitable to the businesses affected. This is exactly what happened and is happening today. Oh yes, and if you read Karl Marx's book on aconomics and the capitalist system, it will be explained to you in greater detail. Referencing Marx doesn't mean I agree with him on socialism but there certainly are many issues he writes about that would have helped the dumb-nuts supply sidere understand the pitfalls of their highly vaunted "free market system". This is only a free and equitable system if both sides in the trade gain what they want-need....what is called win-win. But as things stand now, the dumb-nuts supply sider economists and politicians ,Rethugicans and Damocrats both, have the USA screwed economically.
      by Anonymous on Sep 16, 2011 at 01:26 PM in reply to taxman
      Simple question is, are you better off today than you were 3 years ago. Most will answer NO. The era of Reagan, Bush, Clinton, Bush were ALL better than it has been under obama. You can blather all the hyposis' you want, but the answer to the first question is still NO.
  • by Lavon Location: Goldsboro on Sep 16, 2011 at 10:25 AM
    Wait a minute, what happened to the "Tax Cut For The Rich" that was suppose to create jobs? Yeap the Republicans fooled you, swindled you out of your tax money, gave it to the rich and they cut and ran with it and left town. Do you still believe in Republicans??? I think not, im sticking with Obama
      by Anonymous on Sep 16, 2011 at 11:38 PM in reply to Lavon
      Swindled me out of my tax money? I got a tax break under Bush and 2 checks from him. If that is the case how did they give it to the rich? I still havent got the money from the evil rich that Obama promised.
  • by Why I Love Obama on Sep 16, 2011 at 10:20 AM
    So I can get an obamafood card.
  • by Annette Location: ENC on Sep 16, 2011 at 10:07 AM
    HAHAHA! All of you are "thanking" Obama & Perdue, but this is a direct consequence of our STATE budget that the GOP just had to have. Do you remember the debt debate just a few weeks ago? It is the fault of everyone in government, not one particular political party. In the next series of elections, DO NOT vote for anyone w/ an (i) beside their name. Partisan politics don't benefit anyone.
      by Obama Snake Oil Co on Sep 16, 2011 at 11:39 AM in reply to Annette
      So you are saying that the democrats who had NC for 100 years in the state and the feds that just gave up 4 years in DC had nothing to do with this? Have you been away for a long time while all this came to this or is it colder in the city? Its not I we are worried about, its the D that do all the spending, we try to vote them out, but it takes 4 years to clean house.
        by Anonymous on Sep 16, 2011 at 12:16 PM in reply to Obama Snake Oil Co
        Hows that Shellacking in 2010 working out for you?
  • by Funny on Sep 16, 2011 at 09:45 AM
    I was eating lunch on the 20th of February with my 7 year-old son and I asked him, "What day is tomorrow?" He said, "It's President's Day!" He is a smart kid. I asked, "What does President's Day mean?" I was waiting for something about Washington or Lincoln ... etc. He replied, "President's Day is when President Obama steps out of the White House, and if he sees his shadow we have one more year of unemployment."
      by Theresa on Sep 16, 2011 at 10:45 AM in reply to Funny
      Thanks for the humor. It gave me a good laugh. We all need some humor as we watch our way of life go down the drain.
      by Zzyzx Road on Sep 16, 2011 at 02:10 PM in reply to Funny
      That was a good laugh. In fact, I laughed so hard, I almost choked on my lutefisk!
  • by Anonymous on Sep 16, 2011 at 08:41 AM
    But the state is fighting over whether or not to make gay marriage unconstitutional. NC sure has it priorities set.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 129952128 - witn.com/a?a=129952128