UPDATE: Memorial Service Set For Pirates Cove Apartments Shooting Victim

By: April Davis
By: April Davis

A memorial service will be held Thursday for the teen killed in a shooting this weekend at Pirates Cove Apartments which police say was gang-related.

The victim's friend and mentor Jermaine Harrison tells WITN the service to remember 18-year-old Demetrius "Deejay" Boone will be at the Cornerstone Missionary Baptist Church in Greenville Thursday at 6:00 p.m.

Police say they have two people of interest in the case, but no one has been arrested.

PREVIOUS STORY:
Friends of a murder victim in Greenville, the fourth in less than three weeks, are speaking, remembering his life.

Police say 18-year-old Demetrius "Deejay" Boone was killed in the early Sunday morning shooting at Pirates Cove apartments. His friend Rayshawn nobles was shot and remains in the hospital.

Boone lived with his close friends and mentors, Jermaine and Tanika Harrison, in Winterville. They say their lives will never be the same now that he's gone.

Boone graduated from South Central high school earlier this year. The Harrisons say like always, he was happy and smiling. They say music was a huge part of his life and say Boone, along with Nobles, made up the rap group "Cashflow", and recorded at their home.

Jermain Harrison says, "Deejay was a kind person, full of energy, very positive. In no way was he affiliated in any gangs, in no way was he affiliated in any shooting activities."

Greenville Police say Boone and Nobles were at a birthday party at Pirates Cove apartments when a group of 10 to 12 Crip-affiliated gang members tried to enter the party shortly after 12:30. Officers say the men didn't want to pay the $2.00 admission fee and forced their way inside, where a fight broke out. They say the fight moved outside, where shots were fired.

Police say they have two people of interest in the case, but so far, no arrests have been made.

PREVIOUS STORY:

A teen is dead after shots rang out at a birthday party early Sunday at the Pirates Cove apartment complex in Greenville. Police say gang members tried to force their way into the party, resulting in a fight.

Police say a group of 20 to 30 people were having a party at an apartment when 10 to 12 Crip affiliated gang members tried to enter the party. The gang affiliated group refused to pay an admission fee of $2 to enter the party. Police say the group then forced their way into the apartment and a fight started. The fight eventually moved outside where the shots were fired.

Police were called to the scene around 12:40 a.m. They say 18-year-old Demetrius Boone had been shot multiple times. He was
still breathing when officers arrived on scene. He was taken to Pitt County Memorial Hospital where he later died.

18-year-old Rayshawn Nobles was also injured in the shooting. Nobles was also taken to the hospital.

Police say neither victim is a student at East Carolina University. Friends say the two men had formed a group called "Ca$hFlow" and that Boone was known to friends as DeeJay. They say neither was involved in gangs and Boone had graduated in January from South Central High School.

Officials tell WITN they smelled marijuana when they arrived at the party. Alcohol was also present.

Greenville Police say they have two persons of interest in this case, however at this time, no arrests have been made.

Because of the increasing violent activity in the area, the police department is creating the Pitt County Violent Crime and Gang Task Force.

According to Police, this is the fourth murder in Greenville since November 17th.

• by RM Location: Greenville on Dec 13, 2011 at 10:43 AM
    I Love You DeeJay! We Had First Period Together With Mrs. Couples. I Miss You My Dude! <3 Friends Forever! South Central Class Of 2011 Stand Up; We Will NEVER Forget You!
  • by troy on Dec 11, 2011 at 11:40 PM
    I was watching cnn's heroes tonight.I was moved by all this night. One woman touched my heart. She asked don't give up on our young people tonight. She asked this with simply one word.PLEASE, know she did not win tonight.Really she did win because she touched me in my heart .This night I promise I am not willing to give up on our young people!!
  • by AK47 on Dec 11, 2011 at 02:57 AM
    I think there are alot of young adults that go over to Pirates Cove to use certain facilities who do not pay to live there. Security Sucks.
  • by ECUMOM65 on Dec 11, 2011 at 02:47 AM
    I want my son OUT OF Pirates Cove. It's next door to the hood. He had personal belongings stolen out of his car the day before Thanksgiving. Some security they got over there.
  • by For DeeJay on Dec 9, 2011 at 09:22 AM
    Rest in peace DeeJay. You were a good kid. I pray that love would come out of this tragedy.
  • by Jenny Location: Greenville on Dec 8, 2011 at 05:30 PM
    This is such a sad story. So young that a life is taken away. I hope they catch the cowards that did this. Please young children think twice before going to parties because you do not know who all is invited or will try to raid the party. GPD arrest the criminals and get them off the streets. Greenville is getting dangerous. It is not safe anymore.
  • by R.I.P. Deejay Location: Greenville on Dec 8, 2011 at 05:04 PM
    This is so sad. There is a 18 yr old whose life was taking away before christmas and i couldnt imagine how painful it is for the family and friends of deejay. Being a parent it would kill me to have to plan a funeral for my own child. Also there is his friend in the hospital recovering and when he gets out won't even be able to see his friend anymore. I hope and pray that there is justice served for both of them asap! I'm curious to know out of all those people at that party why was deejay and his friend the ONLY two people shot?!?! It just seems very odd to me. I pray that what happen sunday wasnt no type of setup because like i said its very strange that two friends get shot out of everyone else. What did these two young men do to be the only targets?!?! I hope someone steps up and confess about what really happen.
  • by Data Man on Dec 8, 2011 at 12:14 PM
    As long as blacks keep killing blacks; nothing will ever really be done about it. Our young black man hangout and sell drugs, shoot guns and just stay in trouble. This kind of stuff would be stopped in an instant if these were black on white crimes. These crimes are being done as black on black crimes we can't seem to see this!
  • by concerned Location: Greenville on Dec 8, 2011 at 08:56 AM
    Can't wait for the GPD to make some arrests. In this crime and all of the other unsolved murders in our city.
  • by Smith Location: winterville on Dec 7, 2011 at 07:06 PM
    My heart goes out to both boys families, i don't know either boys but i have brothers that attend and graduated from SC who knew them.I was actually working at the hospital that night when the family and friends were given the horrific news of Boone:( and it just didnt sit right on my heart.I cried and prayed for this childs family...i put myself in there situation.It could have been my brother,my mother's son. I con't to pray for God to give this family peace and strength to get through this, i can't imagine.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 134990643 - witn.com/a?a=134990643