UPDATE: Woman Uses Pet Food Settlement Money To Help Other Pets Survive

A Kinston woman who lost her cat a few years ago to contaminated cat food has received hundreds of dollars in a settlement with the pet food company. We caught up with her to find out what she plans to do with that money.

Cynthia Carrano says as soon as she received the settlement money she knew exactly what she was going to do with it. She decided to buy pet food and donate it to the Lenoir County SPCA.

Today Carrano went shopping with one of the SPCA workers at Pet Sense in Kinston. She bought hundreds of dollars worth of cat, and dog food. That food was then loaded into trucks, and headed off to feed animals at the SPCA. Carrano says she was one of thousands of people involved in the class action lawsuit after her cat died after eating contaminated cat food. She has finally received the money years later from from Menu Food.

"I'm an animal lover and I wasn't going to take the loss of my pet to buy myself a new TV, I feel if I had to lose the pet the least I could do is take that money and help other animals," Cynthia Carrano

Pet Sense also gave Carrano a 30% discount when she bought the food there, So she could donate even more than she was originally expecting.

PREVIOUS STORY:
An eastern Carolina woman, who says her cat died from eating contaminated cat food, awaits a settlement from the lawsuit she filed.

Menu Foods announced Monday it will settle all lawsuits. Menu Foods pulled the food from shelves last year which may have led to the deaths of thousands of dogs and cats.

Cynthia Carrano of Kinston believes her cat is one of those victims. Her lawyer received a letter informing them of the settlement.

Details of the settlement will be filed in federal court on May 1st. Once it is approved pet owners will be notified about how to make a claim.

• by Sue & Jay Location: Long Island on Aug 1, 2011 at 07:49 AM
    Cyndi is my sister and Jay's sister-in-law. We are so proud of her for doing this selfless act kindness. We are happy to have been there on vacation and witnessed this happening. Hopefully others will have seen this and step up to help out the animals. Good Job Cyn.
  • by Anonymous on Jul 29, 2011 at 12:19 AM
    I am sorry for your loss. I thank you for donating to help other pets. Hopefully someone reading this story will be reminded of the wonderful pets needing a good home also. Also, thank you to Pet Sense,the business that donated the 30% discount.
      by Cynthia on Aug 3, 2011 at 06:47 PM in reply to
      I would like to thankyou for your comment on my news segment it really meant alot to me. It is nice to know that there are still people that beleive in acts of kindness! Unfortunatly animals can not help themselves and if I could I would save everyone in need but I can't so I try to do what I can! Once again thankyou so much!
  • by Molly Location: Kinston on Jul 28, 2011 at 08:48 PM
    Thank you Cynthia...what a wonderful gift you have given in return of a sad situation:( I wish there were more people like you and I hope to thank you personally:)
      by Cynthia on Aug 3, 2011 at 06:24 PM in reply to Molly
      Dear Molly, I would like to thankyou for your response on my news segment, it really meant alot to me that some people still do respond to acts of kindness! I can be reached at POOKEY61789@aol.com anytime Thankyou again!
  • by Anonymous on Jul 28, 2011 at 08:15 PM
    I am so sorry for the loss of her cat. The only thing positive in the situation is that she is using the settlement money to help other animals. Thank you from a fellow animal lover :)
      by Cynthia on Aug 3, 2011 at 07:08 PM in reply to
      I would like to thankyou for your comment on my news segment. it really meant alot to me. It's nice to see that there are still people that beleive in acts of kindness these days. Unfortunatly animals can't speak for themselves and id I could I would adopt them all but I can't so I feel whatever I can do may help or at least I hope it does. Once again thankyou!

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 17245059 - witn.com/a?a=17245059