UNC System President Touts The Importance Of ECU

The president of the UNC System was in Greenville Tuesday talking about the importance of ECU to the local economy.

President Thomas Ross was the guest speaker at the Greenville-Pitt County Chamber of Commerce luncheon.

Ross explained how important ECU is to the system, saying it's one of the top UNC campuses, and provides a significant economic boost to Pitt County.

Ross also says despite recent tuition hikes, he believes ECU - and the rest of the UNC System - will remain strong.

• by Wow Location: ECU on Feb 22, 2012 at 05:39 PM
    This is very sad to me to read such posts from our local citizens. When you think about it without ECU Greenville would be a small redneck town in the middle of no where. Also to the comment about ECU being tied dead last, you need to do some research, ECU has not been that low in the ranks in a while. ECU is the leader of Distance Education in the state, and also was rated #1 university in the country for public institutions because of our medical school. Being a current ECU student there are not as many "thugs" or "hoodlums" as there was my freshman year. And really when you look at the crime rates, more crime comes from our off campus community in the low income areas then anywhere else. Not to mention ECU Police send out a monthly report detailing crime rates in the campus area as well as off campus student housing and 4 out of the last 5 have had less than 2 incidents. Just because ECU is not talked up does not mean those of us that are currently attending or have attended are garbage and will not amount to anything. Thanks to Steve Ballard, ECU offers more to its students then some other Universities. If you really want to look at a crappy campus that is really bad and offers nothing to the UNC System take a look at Elizabeth City State University, 3 years ago they were paying whites and latinos to go to that school because the demographics were so bad and crime is still a major issue at that school. I know there will be someone who disagrees with me and bashes me for grammar (by the way that's really elementary and you all need to grow up) or wants to tell me to shut up and go ahead, but ECU is a leader in North Carolina, and we are Pitt County's tax revenue, so those of you who work, you can thank ECU for bringing in all the people to ECU year round because if those people didn't come here, you probably wouldn't have a job and be feeding off the government like half of Pitt Countys residents.
  • by Dude, Where's my car on Feb 22, 2012 at 04:25 PM
    Is this community college still open?
  • by Those flunkies have to go somewhere on Feb 22, 2012 at 02:32 PM
    UNC doesn't want them.....
      by okay on Feb 22, 2012 at 09:33 PM in reply to Those flunkies have to go somewhere
      Probably didn't want you either.
  • by Ecu is known for partying on Feb 22, 2012 at 11:37 AM
    @ Josh you spell they not though LOL and you are correcting others sentences LOL must be an ECU english major did you work on the East Carolinian? You know the paper with the nude guy on the cover! Need I say more ECU does not have a good rep and its justified to. How many girls basketball teams have as many arrests as ECU? before you say everyone does it, nope find me another school with the girls bball team in this much trouble? Campus crime out of sight! Halloween problems dating back to the 70s, a riot after a football game in the 80s! I have to get back to work this could take all day, gotta go!
      by pIRATE on Feb 22, 2012 at 12:36 PM in reply to Ecu is known for partying
      Don't sanitation workers only get 15 min breaks for smoking and posting ignorant comments on their local news channel website? See ya at Wal-Mart in the UNC apparel section!
      by ^Wrong on Feb 22, 2012 at 01:26 PM in reply to Ecu is known for partying
      Though is the appropriate word. Learn english.
      by You on Feb 22, 2012 at 01:30 PM in reply to Ecu is known for partying
      Learn how the reply button works! Ps. Ecu doesn't party like it used to. I've been here for 3.5 years and the party seen is not like it was. Thank you ALE and GPD. (for nothing).
  • by UNC grad on Feb 22, 2012 at 10:42 AM
    ECU is a great school
      by For a janitor on Feb 22, 2012 at 02:33 PM in reply to UNC grad
      Party school all the way.
  • by anonymous Location: United States on Feb 22, 2012 at 09:29 AM
    Wow, the amount of disrespect shown to ECU in these comments is unbelievable. ECU is a great benefit to not only eastern NC's economy, but NC as a whole. The people talking bad have probably never been here or are some of the UNC/NCSU cronies. Just because you go to a rival school doesn't justify the immaturity and hatred that gets spewed. Your ignorance will be our gain someday. Ecu student - 2013
      by sad but true on Feb 22, 2012 at 11:29 AM in reply to anonymous
      transfer-you will be better off if you did! The disrespect gets worse after you graduate. Perception is reality, its not just unc/ncsu folks it goes much deeper than that. You will remember this reply when you here the 500th ecu joke or are asked about the numerous arrests,crime and the fact the princeton review has ranked ecu tied for last in national colleges! If everybody percieves something to be one way then in essence it is in our society!
        by Anonymous on Feb 22, 2012 at 05:10 PM in reply to sad but true
        You know what? It is not ECU, it is YOU. I have an undergraduate degree (biology) from ECU and was accepted to some of the best medical schools in the U.S. Today, I am a practicing family physician with my own practice and doing quite fine. No one, not anyone, EVER questions or comments about my education. My patients are happy. My M.D. degree? From ECU, residency was at Johns Hopkins. So, yes, look in the mirror, the issue is YOU. Look inward, find a modicum of pride, and move on. I assure you, no one will miss you. I reckon this is true in your personal life too. You know I'm right; after all your first name, "sad", fits exactly your modus operandi.
          by Anonymous Too on Feb 23, 2012 at 10:18 AM in reply to Anonymous
          This is one of the best responses that I have read here in a long time. I assume that "sad but true" has now slunk back into his self-loathing depressed hole.
  • by Bruton Location: Greenville on Feb 22, 2012 at 07:56 AM
    Only progressives support the idea of higher education. Tax revenues should not be used to finance institutions such as ECU.
      by Pop Quiz on Feb 22, 2012 at 11:08 AM in reply to Bruton
      . . .said the man using a computer on the Internet.
  • by sad but true on Feb 22, 2012 at 06:24 AM
    sad to say perception is reality when a school is percieved to be bad by so many then it is by employers to, if I would have known ECU was looked at by the masses so poorly I would have gone elsewhere and I will if I ever go back to school
      by Josh on Feb 22, 2012 at 09:21 AM in reply to sad but true
      Your grammar is atrocious, which is probably why nobody will hire you. Consider taking an English class or two, and major in something worth while if you want employers to notice you.
      by Anonymous on Feb 22, 2012 at 09:35 AM in reply to sad but true
      humm..sounds like someone failed out of ECU.
      by Anonymous on Feb 22, 2012 at 10:11 AM in reply to sad but true
      here's a simple suggestion... if you ever do decide to "go back to school", you may want to learn the difference between to, too, and two. Just an idea. Of course, you could always "go back to school" by re-taking 4th grade English too (note the spelling).
      by josh on Feb 22, 2012 at 10:27 AM in reply to sad but true
      Maybe when you learn to form sentences correctly things will go more your way. Ecu isn't looked poorly upon, bad students are though.
        by sad but true on Feb 22, 2012 at 11:24 AM in reply to josh
        I was an honor student at ECU,I got my degree. do you text in complete sentences? Why do people try to correct grammar on these comment threads ? Please! I bet you spell LOL out online! Please don't get angry folks I graduated from ECU but if I had to do it again I wouldn't! Why? because I am tired of taking up for the place because most of the criticism is spot on and ya'll know it!
      by Mustang on Feb 22, 2012 at 11:44 AM in reply to sad but true
      You've got to get your GED first.
  • by Tom Location: USA on Feb 22, 2012 at 05:36 AM
    ECU enriches not only Pitt County but all of the down east region. It's as reputable a university as any other in the NC system, especially UNC Chapel Hill or NC State. The entire system is failing at maintaining a respectable collegiate atmosphere - free of urban thugs and hoodlums that shouldn't be there to begin with. Attendees should be athletes b/c they are students, not students b/c they are athletes - or are considered a "protected" class.
      by josh on Feb 22, 2012 at 09:26 AM in reply to Tom
      "Attendees should be athletes b/c they are students, not students b/c they are athletes - or are considered a "protected" class." - Perfect example to unc.
  • by Ed U. Cates on Feb 22, 2012 at 05:23 AM
    The Chamber of Commerce is most likely stacked with Republicans; the same Republicans who support funding cuts to education. Curious bedfellows. Who paid for this little soiree?

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 139925963 - witn.com/a?a=139925963