UNC: Dismiss McAdoo Lawsuit

The University of North Carolina is asking a judge to dismiss a lawsuit filed by former football player Michael McAdoo.

The Charlotte Observer reported the school and Chancellor Holden Thorp filed papers in Durham Superior Court on Tuesday asking that the lawsuit be dropped.

McAdoo sued July 1, after the NCAA ruled him permanently ineligible to play college sports.

A hearing is scheduled Oct. 11.

The university and Thorp argue because McAdoo has signed with the Baltimore Ravens, he voluntarily forfeited his eligibility and no longer has a claim against the school.

McAdoo's lawyer, Noah Huffstetler III, says he is not surprised by the request. Huffstetler has said McAdoo was found guilty of only one of three violations reported to the NCAA.

• by Heeler Location: NC on Sep 7, 2011 at 09:38 AM
    Yeah, just one rouge department head helping football players stay in school. Noooooo, none of the coaches or anyone else in the athletic department knew anything about this. Yeah right. On second thought, maybe Butch Davis really IS clueless and the good Doctor doesn't care about sports and just wants to help unqualified students earn a degree. Give Butch another game ball after carolina whips another "football power" this week.
  • by Dave Location: Greenville on Sep 7, 2011 at 08:22 AM
    The holes are in the news again. Poor fella getting thrown under the bus. What? you think unc didn't know this was going on? Even the professor quit, cheating been going on years over at the hole, that's the "Carolina Way".
      by Anonymous on Sep 8, 2011 at 08:20 PM in reply to Dave
      enjoy your fantasy, it wont last long. take another pill looney tune...we dont expect people like you to understand the real "Carolina Way". you remind me of the dishonest few that were at UNC, yes you are one of the "few", LOL
  • by Anonymous on Sep 7, 2011 at 06:39 AM
    It should be dropped, what a stupid lawsuit. I only cheated once so I should be allowed to play? I dont think so buddy...you cheaters have done enough to hurt UNC and we dont want you or your kind. Take it up with the NCAA and go to another school if you want to play. Even if you won your lawsuit you would be riding the bench. You are done at UNC, period!
      by Bud on Sep 7, 2011 at 09:42 AM in reply to
      Waaaaiiit just a minute Anonymous, you're talking like UNC didn't have a hand in this whole scandal. Who didn't report the thousands of dollars in waived parking tickets? What professors and tutors HELPED those students cheat? What coach/staff/AD possibly allowed those players to bypass NCAA rules? While I agree this lawsuit should be dropped because the guy isn't trying to play college ball again after signing with the Ravens, I don't think you UNC fans should forget that it was your own program that dug this hole you're currently mired in and not just the players themselves. ECU didn't have to fire their coach when the baseball players got booted from the school for plagarism. Just tells me the whole UNC program is dirty.
        by Anonymous on Sep 7, 2011 at 06:32 PM in reply to Bud
        you are entitled to your opinion but i know for a fact there are many honest students, professors, tutors, coaches and staff at UNC. a few dishonest people did this, not the majority. i am sure you and your buddies will never admit that because you are not fans of UNC and thats OK. enjoy your time to bash. real Carolina fans know we will get through this no matter how bad or how long. the Tar Heel nation is too big, strong and old to just fold the way you think we have. we have not and the cheaters are being ran out town. when this era is over we will set the standard for others again as we once did and the Carolina Way will be restored and we will be better because of the adversity. you cannot do anything about it, you will still have to play us in all sports. UNC is the most successful athletic program in this state and that will not change because of a FEW idiots or WITN posters...
          by Bud on Sep 8, 2011 at 11:30 AM in reply to
          Well Anonymous I appreciate your response and I'm glad you have been mostly level-headed about the whole subject. However I must point out that it's pretty much irrelevant who "the most successful program" is because nobody alive today cares who won what game in 1934. Sure, UNC has the most wins overall but consider this if you will: UNC has a 44 year head start over ECU, yet even with that much of an advantage UNC has never won a National Championship and hasn't even won the ACC in the past 30 years. Statistically speaking UNC has won a little over 50% of their games in that 122 year history, and ECU has matched that in their 78 year history. Even though head-to-head UNC leads ECU overall, the teams have won the same average number of games for the past 80 years, making them pretty much a wash. Want to bring up level of competition? Doesn't UNC play Gardner-Webb, JMU, and Furman? I'd say they're less competitive than Houston (1 Heisman winner to UNC's zero), Tulsa, UCF and SMU (3 claimed National Championships to UNC's zero). I'm just saying Anonymous, we live in the here and now, and here and now UNC is up to their necks in NCAA mud.
          by Anonymous on Sep 8, 2011 at 02:00 PM in reply to
          Bud, when I said most successful athletic program I was referring to ALL athletics not just football. If I would have meant just football I would have said football program instead of athletic program. UNC is always ranked in the top 5 in the country year round in multiple sports and you know it. Try re-reading my post to confirm.
          by Bud on Sep 8, 2011 at 02:32 PM in reply to
          Well I'm sorry Anonymous but this is a football article and it's football season so I'm talking about football. You're absolutely right, UNC is the best overall with basketball, baseball, women's soccer and whatever other sports UNC is good at that I'm not currently aware of. I am interested in your thoughts/comments on what I had to say, please respond to my previous comment if you would.
          by Anonymous on Sep 8, 2011 at 07:36 PM in reply to
          I dont know what you want me to say. You want me to agree with you but I dont. If you say the past is irrelevant then forget the head start. Lets assume that if UNC has a record with another team, they had football that year, OK? Here we go: UNC against State (63-31-6), Duke (57-36-4), Wake (62-36-6) and ECU (10-2-1). UNC's record in the last 10 meetings against ECU is 8-1-1. UNC is not even a "football" school but ECU is. I am just not agreeing with your logic but wish you and ECU the best. Now that we have determined the "most notable" football program in the state I can only refer you to the Directors Cup history for you to be able to properly evaluate colloge athletic programs for total success, thats all sports combined in case you are not familiar the Directors Cup. Good luck to ECU and you but please understand why UNC is not throwing in the towel as some of you are suggesting we should. Go Heels! PS, in 97 UNC was #4 in the final coaches poll but the Noles won the ACC so no ACC title. Dagumit Bobby Bowden! Noles were #3 that year. In the event that ECU beats UNC it will not toally break my heart. I live in Greenville and love the Pirates as well. Chill a little on UNC student-athletes because the majority of Heels are good people.
          by Bud on Sep 9, 2011 at 06:32 AM in reply to
          Thanks Anonymous, you've been classy and I appreciate the dialogue.
        by Anonymous on Sep 8, 2011 at 07:37 PM in reply to Bud
        sorry Bud, I replied to my own comment instead, take care
  • by Heeler on Sep 7, 2011 at 06:37 AM
    Lawyer up Heels! Go heels go!

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 129366003 - witn.com/a?a=129366003