UHS Names President

University Health Systems announced the hiring of a new president Monday. Dr. David Herman will relocate to eastern North Carolina this summer from the Mayo Clinic.

Herman is currently a a physician leader with the Mayo Clinic. A press release from University Health Systems says Herman is the director of the Employee and Community Health Program at Mayo Clinic Rochester, where he has worked to develop programs in the community and in the public school system that address chronic illnesses and diseases.

Herman's medical background is ophthalmology.

“Dr. Herman has experience in building a mature, integrated health care delivery system,” said David McRae, chief executive officer of UHS. “His leadership at one of the world’s premiere health care systems will guide us as we prepare for this new world of health care for eastern North Carolina.”

McRae said UHS has been moving toward a "more integrated system of health care delivery, and Herman will lead that integration." Herman is not replacing anyone; the role of UHS President is a new position.

“Few organizations are in the unique position of being able to build a true system of care to address the care needs of the populations they serve,” Herman said. “I am impressed with the people who make up UHS, and I am eager to work with the team to design, execute and demonstrate this new system of health care. I am honored and eager to have a chance to serve in this new capacity.”

• by Concerned Location: Washington, NC on Apr 4, 2011 at 06:52 PM
    I work for Beaufort Regional Medical Center; is this what I have to look forward to?; I'm already in a bad situation; is it going to get worse for us!
  • by Bob on Apr 4, 2011 at 05:49 PM
    Great, another out-of-touch admin making tons of money while that money could be better spent creating other health care jobs
  • by Concerned on Apr 4, 2011 at 04:28 PM
    To WHY DO- Your right- But I still have a right to ask that question. It's a fair question,your right also that I don't understand. My original post even said I'm sure there's a valid reason, I was just curious as to what that reason was. Don't tell me though that I don't have a "Right" to question management because I do. You may not like it but you should learn to deal with it. You seem to think that those below you should just sit back, do their job and not question ANYTHING you do or say. Glad I don't work for you. AGAIN, NOTHING wrong with questioning management as long as it's in a respectful way, In no way was I disrespectful to you or anyone at the UHS level, I just asked a question, which is my God given, American Right. Either answer the question or please stop criticizing me for asking it. One more thing, I'm not a complainer, just ask the Important questions that others are thinking.
  • by Concerned on Apr 4, 2011 at 04:06 PM
    TO ME AGAIN- Wow- Really? Show me a policy that says I can't do that. Show me a Law on the books that says I can't do that. Ever heard of the 1st Amendment? As a paid employee of UHS, I have a Right to ask questions. I notice with all your vast knowledge of the system, you still haven't answered the question. It really was a simply question that for some reason, your avoiding. I can say ANYTHING i want to about management on this Post. As long as WITN will post it. Not sure you angle here but it sounds to me like your preaching Communism or some other type of censorship. I just simply wanted to know why they hired a high paying president while at the same time cutting positions- it's wasn't even being that critical, just an honest question that as PCMH employee I have a RIGHT to ask. Not sure what world your living in but I really hope your not part of UHS. It's funny, because at work, leadership ENCOURAGES us to ask question, even have a place for us to do it. called J2X- where we can ASK anything we want to and Leadership will reply. that's all I did here, Ask a question. Maybe you should go back and look at some of the Forum questions that have been asked in the past. Most are critical of leadership. Nothing wrong with questioning Management, it's how you do it that matter.
  • by the truth on Apr 4, 2011 at 01:34 PM
    If you think the administration at PCMH is going to change then you are dreaming. They don't care about you or patients unless they have good insurance.
  • by Public Health #1 Location: Greenville, NC on Apr 4, 2011 at 09:37 AM
    Agree with Concerned #1, UHS is a health care structure that is very top heavy, there is no pyramid of leadership, it is very flat. When was the last time you looked at the UHS Executive Leadership profile? They are correct about loss of employees, nurses, nurse aides, service personnel but continue to pad the high paying executives. Dave McRae, make yourself more physically visible to your outlying hospitals, stop the growth at the very top and put your money where it belongs, to reward the hard working people of UHS and not health care bureaucrats like yourself.
  • by Gilbert N. Location: choco on Apr 4, 2011 at 08:42 AM
    As someone who has had nothing but bad experiences with UHS & PCMH, and had his life saved (twice) at the Mayo Clinic, I applaud this move. The professionalism and dedication to the patient at the Mayo Clinic is remarkable. I have been going there yearly for many years. I currently am having some treatments done at Duke, and they can't even hold a candle to the Mayo Clinic in terms of service and patient care. Good move! Now let's just hope they listen to Dr. Herman.
  • by Fact Bringer Location: Greenville on Apr 4, 2011 at 08:09 AM
    UHS isn't a top heavy healthcare system, compared to other systems of similar size and scope. The key word here is scope- the UHS system is branching out into outpatient and preventative medicine. That area of growth requires unique skills in administrative leadership.
      by Billy on Apr 4, 2011 at 08:41 AM in reply to Fact Bringer
      That's not what Delta said. Not sure where you are doing your Fact checking from but it's not from a reliable source.
        by a nurse on Apr 4, 2011 at 01:28 PM in reply to Billy
        I agree!
  • by ny Location: gv on Apr 4, 2011 at 08:08 AM
    They always crying broke. They got some money somewhere!!!
  • by Dick on Apr 4, 2011 at 08:07 AM
    Classic CEO management, Dave, adding yet another layer of high cost administration to insulate yourself further from the people who do the real work of providing health care for UHS patients. And your timing stinks!

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 119174444 - witn.com/a?a=119174444