Two Students Mugged In Two Separate Crimes

Greenville police are still investigating strong arm robberies of two students that happened within blocks of each other Friday night near campus.

The first robbery took place on South Summit Street around 9:20 p.m. Tyler Chambers told police three people approached him and tried to spray him with mace. He tried to run, but was pushed down and beaten. They got away with the 23-year-old's wallet and cell phone.

Then about and hour and forty minutes later Michael Glynn, Jr. says he was walking down the 1700 block of East 5th Street when three people approached him from behind. The 22-year-old was struck in the head and shoulders and his wallet was taken.

The university says Tyler was enrolled in the spring semester, while Glynn tells WITN that he was a student at ECU until recently.

In both cases the robbers were described as three black males, according to police.

Police have not yet said whether they believe the two robberies are connected.

Previous Story

After a rash of shootings in Greenville during the first weeks of July, now two people were robbed by a trio of thieves in two separate incidents over the weekend.

An email alert issued by East Carolina University Sunday, warns residents of two muggings Friday night near the university.

The release state, that a man was robbed by three suspects on the 200 block of Summit street. The robbers took his wallet and cellphone.

Approximately an hour and a half later--another man was mugged by three men, this time near 5th and Elm streets.

This comes on the heels of a recent spike in violence in Greenville which has residents near the ECU campus voicing their concerns about their safety.

Alvin Hall, Sr of Greenville says, "you don't know who's around here and who's doing what , so I try to do what I have to do before the sun goes down."

Raechel Attaway says, "sometimes I just get a little bit scared to walk around at night , not seeing as much law enforcement that I see on 5th and seeing just as much foot traffic as I do on 5th street, I just wish there was more patrolling on this end of the campus"

Student and staff at ECU as well as those living close to campus have been encouraged to stay aware of their surroundings at all time and to walk in groups at night.

• by whatTHEwhat Location: Greenville on Jul 19, 2011 at 10:27 AM
    This may not apply to those of you not students but why have I not recieved a campus alert for this stuff. Even when it's not on campus they usually send them out. From the looks of it, ECU is hoping that eveyone home for the summer doesn't notice the recent crime.
  • by OneWhoKnows on Jul 19, 2011 at 06:12 AM
    Things are not going to get better people!!! Read your bible. It is the beginning of the end. Stay vigilant,and pray for yourselves and your love ones!!
  • by JusticeForAll on Jul 18, 2011 at 11:12 PM
    Perhaps we need to set up voluntary armed Citizen Escorts for our ECU students. AS a student and a Concealed Carry permit holder, I would GLADLY meet any student on the edge of school property, wearing my legally-possessed and Open Carried .45, and escort them to their car or apartment. Perhaps it's time for the students and citizens of Greenville to perform their DUTY as citizens, and take up the PERSONAL responsibility for personal safety. The police have NO DUTY or legal obligation to be your personal bodyguards. But there is NOTHING preventing the CITIZENS of this city from protecting their own lives and safety... You don't need a permit to Open Carry in NC, people. Take responsibility for your own safety! IF you don't want a gun, then buy a big can of Pepper Spray and learn how to use it... Are we going to be Citizens, or are we going to be weak, cowering slaves, waiting for someone else to come along and kissy-wissy our widdle booboos...
      by question on Jul 19, 2011 at 05:52 AM in reply to JusticeForAll
      Where is a good place to purchase mace? I want to buy some.
  • by Anonymous on Jul 18, 2011 at 09:00 PM
    I'm moving back to Pittsburgh with my family in November, so there will be 3 less people in nasty Greenville, NC.
  • by Guru on Jul 18, 2011 at 05:59 PM
    Greenville's population is going to suffer in the coming years because of this. Soon, ECU will be begging for students to come.
      by Students AND Customers on Jul 18, 2011 at 07:18 PM in reply to Guru
      I can't wait till Greenville turns into Kinston. All those great places to shop will turn into abandoned buildings. Dilapidated and stripped bare, they'll be great places to flop and squat...maybe turn them into crack hangouts?
  • by BB on Jul 18, 2011 at 02:40 PM
    I wish the students could walk in packs. But sometimes you just can't. Please don't go out alone, day or night, but especially at night. I'm thankful my son has graduated and is not walking from the dorm to his car. It used to worry me then. Now, I couldn't handle it. We're living in some scary times folks!
  • by Matt Ress Location: NC on Jul 18, 2011 at 01:52 PM
    This situation is out of control. The people here...the government, citizens, parents of the perps...won't do what it takes to correct this. This ship is sinking. This rat is getting off. Peace!
  • by John Location: Nowhereville on Jul 18, 2011 at 01:51 PM
    Simple, don't go anywhere in Greenville after dark by yourself! The thugs are never alone when they attack. Greenville is still not as bad as Rocky Mount.
  • by Anonymous on Jul 18, 2011 at 12:35 PM
    crime is bad, but some people are going a little overboard. not shopping in greenville anymore? these robberies happened in the early morning hours. I doubt you are at any danger to shop at the mall on a saturday afternoon.
      by don't be taken off guard on Jul 18, 2011 at 01:21 PM in reply to
      You have to be careful at all times of the day/night. I was mugged in Greenville five feet from the entrance of Office Depot on a week day at 5:30 in the afternoon. The guy walked by me and then turned around after he was past me, ran up behind me, attacked me, and stole my purse. So, you really have to be on the lookout regardless of the time of day. I know I am after that. I thought I was before the incident, but apparently, I was not.
      by Anonymous on Jul 18, 2011 at 04:27 PM in reply to
      These 2 robberies did not happen in the early morning. The first one was around 9:15-9:30pm.
      by Anonymous on Jul 19, 2011 at 01:49 PM in reply to
      How is that going overboard? I seem to remember somebody got shot in the mall several months ago. I dont remember exactly. I won't shop there now so maybe the merchants will take this up with the city council who will the start supporting GPD. How about eating downtown. Didnt they just have a trial where two innocent bystanders were killed?
  • by Dave Location: (:OO:) on Jul 18, 2011 at 12:28 PM
    It looks like we need another prayer walk...

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 125721038 - witn.com/a?a=125721038