UPDATE: Woman In Fair Condition Following Crash With Big Rig

A woman is listed in fair condition following a wreck that required her to be airlifted to a hospital for medical attention.

Officials at Pitt County Memorial Hospital said 66-year-old Mavis Wiggins of Williamston was listed in fair condition Thursday morning.

Wiggins was involved in a collision with a semi-truck Wednesday afternoon in the Martin County town of Jamesville, along with her ten-year old granddaughter. Authorities say the girl suffered minor injuries.

We don't have information on whether the truck driver suffered any injuries.

Previous Story:
A woman and her 10-year-old granddaughter were sent to the hospital after colliding with a semi-truck.

The accident happened around 3:45 Wednesday afternoon in Jamesville in Martin County.

Troopers say the driver of a white mini van failed to yield to the big-rig on Highway 64. That's when the truck hit the van on the passenger side sending it into a pole. The driver of the van, 66-year-old Mavis Wiggins of Williamston, and the 10-year-old passenger, were transported to Martin General. Troopers say the girl had minor injuries.

Wiggins was later airlifted to Pitt County Memorial, but her condition is not being released.

• by mm Location: martin county on Feb 21, 2011 at 10:50 AM
    I hope God is with them
  • by Ethel Location: Home on Feb 17, 2011 at 04:00 PM
    To Fred from Ethel! Honey, I think you might have meant she fractured a vertebra in her neck!!!!!:)
  • by fred Location: martin co on Feb 17, 2011 at 02:00 PM
    She has a broken vertebrate in her neck, and a broken leg,,all in all she is doing ok,,,will recover,,child is ok,,Thank The Lord!
  • by rick Location: martin co on Feb 17, 2011 at 01:35 PM
    Wishing you a speedy recovery Mavis!
  • by Anonymous on Feb 17, 2011 at 01:26 PM
    If it is not the trucks fault, it will be a first. Careless morons!!!
  • by Okayyyyyy Location: Greene County on Feb 17, 2011 at 01:07 PM
    Nope a semi cannot stop on a dime, I come from a long line of truck drivers in my family and yes, I know not to pull directly out in front of one, I know not to stop dead on my brakes in front of one. How ever, I know too that there are a lot, not all but alot of truck drivers that still fill, i got several tons on your butt, and youre gonna eat everyone of them or ill keep pushing up on you till you get out of my way. They the truckers know they cant stop on a dime so why when they are in heavy traffic or rural traffic do they think they can push people down the road, No not every accident is the trucks fault, But dont make all truck drivers out to be saints, they havent changed that much over the years, you gotta get that load where its going before the pigs smother and the produce riots, or before the receiving department shuts down, sometimes i can almost hear them stratching their butts from inside the cab they are so close on my butt, its not funny and I am not a slow poke
  • by madame barlow Location: goolsboro on Feb 17, 2011 at 12:39 PM
    18 wheels and ah dozen roses.
  • by Tia Location: NC on Feb 17, 2011 at 11:21 AM
    My husband was on his way to Raleigh and saw the accident happen, he said that it would haunt him, that there was kids in the van. His thoughts went to the truck driver that was gonna have to live with this. I was so relieved to hear that the people in the van were ok, I called my husband to let him know, but how is the driver doin? We hope he's ok physically and mentally.
  • by Vanessa Location: Williamston on Feb 17, 2011 at 06:30 AM
    Hope you have speedy recovery Mrs. Mavis.
  • by Trucker's Wife Location: NC on Feb 17, 2011 at 05:03 AM
    Lin, THANK YOU! I hate it when it automatically is the truckers fault no matter what. People don't pay attn and are constantly driving stupid around trucks and expect the truck to be able to stop. Lisa, you would be surprised. Ride in one for one day and you'll see how people intentionally pull out in front of 18wheelers, cut in front of them on the highway, slam on brakes to turn. It's ridiculous. And ftr- whenever there is an article about a big rig accident the comment section is flooded with people bashing truckers so I'm glad for once someone sticking up for them posted first.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 116370114 - witn.com/a?a=116370114