UPDATE: Survivors Of Fatal Wreck In Serious Condition

According to troopers two people are dead and two others injured after the car they were in ran off the road, eventually struck a tree, and then caught on fire in Beaufort County.

Sgt. Tim Crumpler tells WITN troopers were called to the scene around 12:30 a.m. Sunday morning. It happened on Wharton Station Rd. just south of Cherry Run Rd.

Crumpler says a 2003 Ford Taurus driven by 29-year-old Daneil McClees of Columbia ran a stop sign, ran off the road to the right, went into a ditch, then traveled into a wheat field and struck a tree. The car then caught fire.

Crumpler says McClees was killed in the wreck. The right front passenger 23-year-old Bobby Jay Moore of Columbia was also killed. The two back seat passengers, 28-year-old Yuri Spencer of Columbia and 21-year-old Zarian Bowser were both seriously injured and taken to the hospital. Officials at Pitt County Memorial Hospital listed them both in serious condition Monday morning.

Crumpler says the speed at the time of the crash was estimated at 80 to 85 mph. The speed limit on the road is 55. He also says alcohol was a factor.

The road was shut down for several hours as crews cleared the scene. It has now been reopened.

Toxicology reports are pending.

• by Anonymous Location: Columbia on May 5, 2011 at 07:44 AM
    DaNeil and BJ will be missed truely. Its been hard around here in Columbia not being able to see their smiles and here their laughs but remembering all the good times we all shared makes me smile. i miss you guys. May you rest in peace.
  • by Anonymous Location: Columbia on Apr 29, 2011 at 08:31 AM
    Y dont you just go away!! I just read the feed and I know the people involved, your rude arrogance is un-needed during this time... God Bless you and may your loved ones do no wrong!!
      by Duh on Apr 29, 2011 at 05:37 PM in reply to
      My loved ones do wrong all the time. I think they are stupid, too. I don't believe in God, but if I did I'm sure he'd bless me because I don't put people in danger by drunk driving.
  • by Duh on Apr 28, 2011 at 03:14 PM
    That's what they get for drunk driving. People who consume alcohol should not drive but are stupid enough to still do it. I feel sorry for the families of these people. Yet, l do not feel sorry for the victims at all. Drinking and driving is stupid and these people obviously had bad judgement.
  • by C.A Location: Columbia on Apr 28, 2011 at 10:07 AM
    It dont matter what cause this wreck, or if they were wrong. What matters is 2 young boys of our community died it dont matter how or what its lifes taking away. This boys had families yeah they made a mistake ok who dont, but there 2 boys in the hospital & 2 that will be burried 2day that can never be replaced. Yeah there paying for it many get prison but this got worse. There families dont care about that, it that there son, brother, father or whatever they are to them aint coming home. I knew both these boys where all 4 of them and they all had flaws but HUGE hearts, and they touched everyone of us by there own ways. They will be deeply missed RIP. DaNeil & Bj & i hope Yuri & Zarian recover quickly :)
  • by Friend Location: Columbia on Apr 27, 2011 at 10:48 AM
    REST IN PEACE DaNeil & Bj...Yuri & Zarian get well soon LOVE YALL!!!
  • by Kiaira Location: Columbia on Apr 26, 2011 at 01:41 PM
    God be to Glory....I'm so sorry to hear about this, but I am going to be always in you all pray(Mclesse,Bowser,and Spencer. God Bless You All
  • by unkown Location: roper on Apr 26, 2011 at 12:44 PM
    Yes we as people need to stop placed the blame on the driver and prayer for the families. They were human begin just like all us and we have had some poor judgemenets in our lives. It is a time for us to come together as a community and stand behind these families in their time of need. Prayer for childrens that they might have had. They no longer has a father in their lives.
  • by Lisa Location: enc on Apr 26, 2011 at 12:43 PM
    It is imperative that we judge right behavior from wrong behavior. Driving drunk is not a 'mistake'. It is a choice, a bad choice. Sometimes a fatal choice. If we do not judge some behavior as being bad, then how do we tell our children that some choices are dangerous? To not judge bad behavior is to give our permission or Ok to do those behaviors. When the Bible speaks on judging another, it is saying that we are not to judge the heart, or the intent of a person. Only God can do that. But we must judge between right and wrong. Without this, we have anarchy. I have loved ones who also made the choice to drive impared. Some were fortunate, but some were not. I know the grief of losing someone to this, and my heart goes out to those families. But please, please do not make excuses for this behavior! We just may save a few lives and spare other families from suffering this grief.
  • by unknown Location: edenton on Apr 26, 2011 at 10:57 AM
    In spite of what has happened we as a community need to stop blaming the driver or who ever for what has happen and pray for the families, because we all makes mistakes and who are we to judge. Families keep your head up, and God will see you through. He didn't bring you this far to leave you. Love you all!
      by Anonymous on Apr 26, 2011 at 12:26 PM in reply to unknown
      My heart goes out to the families. My children have made bad decisions too. They were fortunate. However, sometimes those decisions are permanent. I have lost friends and family members to those same bad decisions. To choose to drink and drive is a choice, not a mistake. They knew the risks, they knew it was dangerous, yet they chose to do it anyway. We must take responsibility for our own actions and stop making excuses for bad choices. The lives of our loved ones depend on our judging bad behavior from good.
      by Bubba on Apr 26, 2011 at 12:38 PM in reply to unknown
      Ok...can I remind you of that very statement when an officer is involved in a wreck weither it is or is not his fault. I'd bet you would be the first to scream at the top of your lungs the "Social Injustice". Agin I say...the driver, not the road!!
  • by ASH Location: CRESWELL on Apr 26, 2011 at 05:49 AM
    GOD BE THE GLORY MY HEART GO OUT TO THE SPENCER'S BOWERS MCCLEES FAMILY GOD BE WITH YOU ALWAYS LOVE YOU ALWAYS YOUR SISTER IN CHRIST

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 120572519 - witn.com/a?a=120572519