Warrant Issued In Greenville Road Rage Case

Greenville police say they have obtained a warrant for the driver of a vehicle in Tuesday's case of road rage where two people were injured. Police are not identifying that driver as of now.

The road rage started when the victims say the driver of a gray Nissan vehicle started throwing things out of her window on Memorial Drive. It ended up in the parking lot of Tropical Smoothie on Arlington Boulevard, shortly before 2:00 p.m.

Joseph Thomas and Gina Whichard tell us they called 911 and then followed the car into the parking lot to check on damage to their vehicle. That's when they got out of their car, and Gina's leg was run over by the vehicle as it left the parking lot. Thomas was struck by the vehicle's side mirror.

Whichard says, "I have brusies on my right and left side. She torn the skin off my right heel and ankle. The doctor says it's going to take a long time to heal."

Police are investigating the case as an assault with a deadly weapon with serious injury, with the vehicle as the weapon.

Police say they have obtained a warrant for assault with a deadly weapon inflicting serious injury, but that person has not yet been charged.

Previous Story

Two people were taken to the hospital after what police say was a case of road rage in Greenville Tuesday afternoon.

Police say it ended up in the parking lot of the Tropical Smoothie on Arlington Boulevard just before 2:00 p.m.

They say there are conflicting statements from witnesses and they're trying to determine exactly what happened. One witness told WITN News they heard a squeal and one vehicle sped away.

Police do say they have a suspect and a suspect vehicle.

Stay with WITN News and witn.com for more on this developing story.

• by Wiser Location: Greenville on May 14, 2011 at 10:36 AM
    It seems so unbelievable that Joe and Gena had no wrong doing in this strange situation. How can two people get ran over two times each by the same car with no broken bones? Maybe that girl(the defendant) was scared. They appeared to be playing her car very close. If the police were on the seen as quick as the witness stated, why were they in the window of a person with "road rage?"
  • by commuter Location: enc on May 12, 2011 at 06:54 AM
    I do not live in Greenville but commute to Greenville on an almost daily basis throughout the school year. During the past several months, I have noticed how aggressive the drivers in Greenville and Pitt County have become. It is not unusual for drivers to speed, come up menacingly close to my rear bumper, try to cut me off, and other unsafe practices. It is similar to the rude and unsafe driving practices seen in Northern cities. There have been several tragic fatal accidents within Greenville over the past several months. What gives, Greenville?
  • by Kathy on May 12, 2011 at 06:05 AM
    Hello, my name is Kathy. I am a road rage-aholic. I wish I was not but I cannot stop myself. There is always somebody on the road holding up progress. I even traded in my luxury mid-sized car to a Toyota Yaris just so I can zip around people who are going way under the speed limit. Slow people, READ THIS, stay out of the inside lane so road ragers like me can get to where we're going. OLD PEOPLE, move over, speed up or get out of the way, this includes you too mama. People on cell phones, you are my nemesis. You are mostly the slow ones. If you are at a stop light, keep your eyes on the light. If you don't start moving in a split second, I am gonna lay on the horn to get you moving. Yes, I learned all of this on the streets of Manhattan. Wish I didn't have this affliction but I do and there is no cure.
      by JusticeForAll on May 12, 2011 at 08:38 AM in reply to Kathy
      Kathy, you are wrong--there is a cure... It's called self-control. It is the self-indulgent, self-important, carpetbaggers like you that are ruining the gracious communities of the South. Please, either learn some manners and exercise some self-discipline, or go back to NYC, before someone falls victim to your selfish rudeness...
        by Kathy on May 12, 2011 at 10:20 AM in reply to JusticeForAll
        I was born and raised right in Washington, NC. I spent 6 months in NYC on a case. I picked up some bad habits.
          by disgusted on May 12, 2011 at 01:47 PM in reply to Kathy
          Driving in our state is a privilege, not a right. If you keep driving like a bat out of hell, you will eventually lose your license or cause another tragic accident to occur, or both. How does prison time for a charge of involuntary manslaughter sound to you? BTW, if you get on my bumper, I will slow down to a crawl. I don't cater to road bullies. If you do not want to take accountability for your actions and use safe and courteous driving habits, please do us all a favor, and move back to NYC, this time to stay.
      by Tish on May 12, 2011 at 05:42 PM in reply to Kathy
      Well then Kathy U are one of the worst driver on the road if u feel like that u the one who need to stay off the road & remember this is not new york even if some people drive like it is....
  • by ray Location: belhaven on May 11, 2011 at 07:35 PM
    strange how you can rev your engine at a police officer and its attempted murder....yet this woman ran two people over and is charged w/ awdw
  • by Pet Peeve Location: enc on May 11, 2011 at 07:13 PM
    My pet peeve is trying to get into a left-turning lane at a busy light. If I wait until the line is white, I can't get to it for those behind me crossing the yellow and passing everyone on the left! If I do the same-cross the yellow, I risk a ticket or a head-on. Give more tickets for this-it is dangerous!
  • by Tish Location: Farmville on May 11, 2011 at 05:31 PM
    I hate driving in Greenville at all & i hate to ride with someone who talks on the phone or have music blastin i try too be a cautious driver for me and the other people on the road to but sometime it's not enough.So i just pray that i get to & from where i'm going safely...
  • by Tish Location: Farmville on May 11, 2011 at 05:31 PM
  • by JusticeForAll on May 11, 2011 at 03:40 PM
    So let me get this straight... Two people are brutally assaulted with a vehicle in a "road rage" situation, and a warrant is issued for the perp, and WITN published the VICTIMS names (so now the perp can find them easier and possibly retaliate), but they don;t publish the name of the perp, so that law-abiding citizens can turn him in to the police? Yeah, that's REALLY responsible "journalism", there WITN... I'm sure the victims appreciate having their identities made public, while their assaulter's name remains secret...
      by WITN on May 11, 2011 at 04:17 PM in reply to JusticeForAll
      The victims did an on camera interview with us, so they agreed to have their identities known. Police have not released the name of the driver. As soon as they do we will report it.
        by JusticeForAll on May 11, 2011 at 10:19 PM in reply to WITN
        If a warrant was issued, that may be obtained under a FOIA request, and the accident report may be obtained by just walking into the police station and requesting it--under NC law, it is a "matter of public record" and they are REQUIRED to give it to any citizen if they ask. Just sayin'...
        by Anonymous on May 12, 2011 at 07:30 PM in reply to WITN
        I AGREE WITH JUSTICE FOR ALL ABOUT HAVING OUR IDENTITIES KNOWN,OUR IDENTITIES WERE MADE KNOWN AT THE SEEN OF THE ACCIDENT BEFORE THE INTERVIEW WAS GIVEN
          by ????? on May 13, 2011 at 10:35 AM in reply to
          If your idenities were made known at the scene of the accident, why did you not request to preview the newscast before it was aired and DEMANDED your idenities not be shown? I mean and since your idenities are now common knowledge why are you signing in as anonymous??? I'm just saying
      by Mike on May 13, 2011 at 10:56 PM in reply to JusticeForAll
      Why can we not reply to "?????". Looks like we can't reply to anything 3 deep. Anyway ????? that is the victim you are talking to, have some ****ing respect. They did not do anything wrong?
  • by Gray on May 11, 2011 at 01:50 PM
    I have driven in Germany, Korea and most Northern states. I must say that Greenville drivers are no worse than any other drivers. I make it a point that when I sit behind the wheel I turn off my phone (I do check it when I STOP at my destination), I also take in regards that I am not only driving for myself but also my passengers and all other drivers on the road. If it comes to the point where I am in an EMERGENCY situation, I try to find shortcuts like backroads where most drivers avoid. Road rage in a car is just as bad as carrying a weapon. Remember a car is a DANGEROUS WEAPON.... thank you
  • by Hang up on May 11, 2011 at 12:50 PM
    Most people are not competent enough to drive and talk on the phone - headset or not. It simply is to overwhelming for their brain. Look at someone talking on the phone and I bet within 2 minutes you will see a traffic violation.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 121581529 - witn.com/a?a=121581529