Two Hunters, 4 Dogs Rescued By Coast Guard

Two hunters and their four dogs were rescued Sunday in the Alligator River National Wildlife Refuge after becoming lost.

The U.S. Coast Guard got the call around 8:30 p.m. requesting help from the Dare County Sheriff's Department.

The hunters were last seen at 1:00 p.m. and they did not have cold weather gear, food or water. The Coast Guard was able to pinpoint their location and an MH-60 Jaywawk helicopter from Elizabeth City used an infrared camera to locate the missing people.

The hunters and their four dogs were hoisted onto the helicopter to safety. Neither hunter required any medical treatment.

• by Dog Hunter Location: Martin, County on Dec 21, 2010 at 02:54 PM
    Jerry, u are SO RIGHT about the ones shooting out of the window have dog boxes... but do all people with dog boxes own hunting dogs???? I owned 1 before I got my first pack of hounds.... And yes the $8 a day actually is more in the tune of $30-$40 a day aint much but times that in over several hundered on a giving sat over the state..u do the math... (that dont count the 1s during the week day) when most people go still hunting they dont burn that much a week... As for the dogs getting hit it happens but I (speaking for myself) TRY everything in my power to make sure mine and my club mates dont.. Ive stopped traffic in the middle of the road to keep a dog from getting hit... I dont like to see anybodys cars or trucks messed up.. Everybody brings up the subject of cars and deer because everybody knows most still hunters and I said MOST are only hunting 1 thing... BIG HORNS!!!! That dont control deer population sir... Killing #'s does... We all need to come together and kill deer...
  • by Anonymous Location: BOCO on Dec 21, 2010 at 01:19 PM
    #1) Thank You to the CG. #2) Hunting is not bad. Man has hunted since the begining of his existance. #3) Man has used dogs to hunt for centuries. All of my hunting dogs are well feed, loved, and given medical attenion (shots, deworming, etc.). Please keep in mind that hunting dogs are working dogs. They love their job and are willing to do anything to complete it. I know that some people do do not take care of their hunting dogs and shame on them, but do not assume that all dog hunters are bad people. I also still hunt (from treestands) so I know about both. I throughly enjoy both types of hunting. I just do not understand how people can be so prejudice against all hunters. If you do not like to hunt that is perfectly fine, but there is no need to say hurtful things about people who do hunt.
  • by Ralph Location: Snake island on Dec 21, 2010 at 01:13 PM
    To jery..Forsure your not a hunter,i can already tell that by what you seem to know aboutt dogs..when you run a dog 5 to 8 hours a day they gonna be skin and bones,thats why a lot of hunters with the time run dogs before the season to get them in shape,ive been running dogs 40 years and never had one hit by a car/truck,and another thing after my dogs comes my wife!!!
  • by Jerry S. Location: Choco. on Dec 21, 2010 at 11:37 AM
    Everyone wants to point out the deer that jump out in front of your car, how about all the dogs that get hit either when they are chasing deer, or wandering the roadways? They don't damage your car? Most the folks I see shooting from the roadside have dog boxes in the back of their truck, Dog Hunter, I'm sure that will shock you. As for the yard dog comment I'm going to have to call you on that one; most deer dogs are skin and bones that get left in a kennel and not touched until deer season. I am by no means anti-hunter, I'm just saying do it yourself. The guys in trees eat nabs and burn gas too. I am certain the $8 you spend hunting saves the local economy.
  • by Dog Hunter Location: Martin County, NC on Dec 21, 2010 at 10:19 AM
    This is to Jerry S. and all the other anti hunter folks. I am a dog hunter and I do get out of my truck to hunt. Who cares u can and do vote??? We hunters vote also... Most hunting days I use between a 1/4 to 1/2 tank of gas not counting food and drinks I buy which helps with the local ecomony. Does your sitting in the tree help wid that as much??? Also how bout the "Tree Hunters" that ride around shooting out of the truck window you some how failed to say a word about them... Are you 1 of them??? As far as taking care of the animals most hunters take care of them better than u take care of your yard dog... And to all the rest of you anti hunters you think its bad now with wildlife eating crops, gardens, and flower beds, running out in front of cars and causing problems you just wait... It will only get worse...
  • by Jerry S. Location: Choco. on Dec 21, 2010 at 07:24 AM
    I have no problem with real hunting. But for the guys who can't be bothered to actually go into the woods, who run dogs and sit in their trucks, typically leaving trash everywhere, not to mention heartlessly abandoning the dogs when they get too old or just won't hunt? They are the lowest man in society in my opinion. Keep hunting, folks, but get out of the truck and do it yourself. I am sick of rescuing abandoned hounds, grow a pair and take care of them. FYI I am a lifelong taxpaying NC resident. And I vote.
  • by laura Location: greenville on Dec 21, 2010 at 06:36 AM
    Yep, let "Bambi" jump out in front of your car at 2am on one of the bazillion rural roads around here and you'll be singing a different tune. 903 from Williamston to G'ville is crazy with them, and just one with a little size can totally destroy a car and kill everyone in it. Keep shootin' boys!
  • by Eddie Location: Chocowinity on Dec 20, 2010 at 05:22 PM
    Hey Country Girl, Why the yankee comment. I was born and raised in the northeast and am an avid hunter and fisherman. You would be very surprised at how many good old boys..and girls live, hunt, and fish in the northern states...
  • by Oh puhleeez!! on Dec 20, 2010 at 05:20 PM
    To the tree huggers and bleeding hearts: I hope the tree you're hugging does fall on you and you can't call the USCG or anyone else to save you. Maybe a surplus bear will help you out from under the tree.
  • by Anonymous on Dec 20, 2010 at 05:03 PM
    run dem dawgs boys!

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 112189314 - witn.com/a?a=112189314