Two Horses Killed In Onslow County Accident

We are gathering details on how horses got loose on a local highway. Two ended up dead.

According to the Highway Patrol in Onslow County, horses got loose around 10 p.m. Tuesday, on Highway 24, near the Highway 258 split.

Troopers say two horses were killed. One of them had to be put down because of injuries.

No injuries were reported for the drivers of the vehicles, but their cars sustained damage. The drivers are not expected to face any charges.

• by Insurance on Jan 18, 2012 at 09:37 PM
    The person who hit the horses insurance will NOT go up! U will have to pay ur deductible! But it's just like hitting a deer!
  • by quinn Location: jacksonville on Jan 18, 2012 at 08:44 PM
    who did the horses belong to?
      by Caraline on Jan 19, 2012 at 06:52 AM in reply to quinn
      i dont think that has been discovered yet, and about 3 months ago, one of these same horses was on the side of the road and i "saved" her. animal control was called and nothing was done about it. they had no fence at that time, and i doubt they had a substainable fence, if any now. i spent a good hour trying to find out who the owner was that day, with no luck.
  • by Old Geezer on Jan 18, 2012 at 07:03 PM
    Dogonit. George Bush was town!! That man shore do git aroun.
      by Proof Reading? on Jan 18, 2012 at 07:34 PM in reply to Old Geezer
      Do you ever read the stuff you type or do you even think when you type?
  • by yukon on Jan 18, 2012 at 06:59 PM
    The Lone Ranger said to Tonto did you close the gate Tonto said I think so Screeeech!!!
  • by Name on Jan 18, 2012 at 06:32 PM
    The driver and passenger WAS hurt. The passenger is a good friend of mine and she had two cracked ribs!! There was 9 horses who got loose!!! So if you can drive at night and miss a single one of them good job. Don't talk about people's driving skills when more people are killed bc of a little deer vs a full grown horse, 2 even
  • by Lynn Location: Havelock on Jan 18, 2012 at 09:47 AM
    Accidents do happen unfortunately. Horses do knock down fences and jump them. I can understand wanting the owners to pay for the repairs to the vehicle. It is not that hard to track down who owns a horse. Just hope they did not suffer too much. Poor babies.
  • by carolinagirl Location: Jacksonville NC on Jan 18, 2012 at 09:15 AM
    What ever happened to the law that a driver is supposed to be in control of their vehicle at all times?? I understand that deer, squirrels etc run out, but SPEED has alot to do with fatalities...I realize it is an "accident" but when you are driving defensively, you are always in control of NOT hurting another person and that includes ANIMALS!!
      by porkchop on Jan 18, 2012 at 11:37 AM in reply to carolinagirl
      "...you are always in control..." My, aren't we holier than thou. I hope you can always remain as self-righteous as your are now, which would mean you never encounter a deer, dog, etc, or even a person, that leaps in front of your moving vehicle, sight unseen. Try to remain above that.
      by Bloke on Jan 18, 2012 at 12:55 PM in reply to carolinagirl
      When it is dark and a brown or black horse is in the road, I don't care if you are driving 35mph, you will not see it in time to stop.
        by I Nearly Hit A Horse on Jan 18, 2012 at 01:40 PM in reply to Bloke
        JFYI, I saw the horse just in time to swerve and the horse moved just a few feet as I tried to avoid it. Had the horse NOT MOVED, I would have hit it. Had I NOT SWEREVED, I would have hit it. The combination saved both myself & the horse. I missed hitting it by 2-3 feet.
  • by Anonymous on Jan 18, 2012 at 07:59 AM
    Accidents do happen. Livestock do get out and in the road as do pets and wild animals and people. That's what insurance is for. There is a guy that struts all over the road around here talking to himself. He walks right out in front of vehicles.
  • by I Nearly Hit A Horse on Jan 18, 2012 at 07:24 AM
    Back 4 years ago on Hwy 17 in Pollocksville, 11 P.M., just north of the bridge, the horses got loose. It was dark and the horse was a dark color. I had already reduced my speed to 35mph but still, at that speed, I could have killed that horse AND damaged my truck. I'm glad I keep my eyes on the road.
  • by loves horses Location: onslow county on Jan 18, 2012 at 06:49 AM
    it is so sad about the horses. Glad the drivers are ok. just an unfortunate accident. no one should be charged. horses do jump fences and some can even open gates. I lived in Tx and it was nothing to go out to the barn and find another horse. you just wait for someone to claim it. Horses do have a mind of their own.
      by Bloke on Jan 18, 2012 at 07:29 AM in reply to loves horses
      Maybe not charged, but the owners should be responsible for the repairs to the cars that were damaged. The car owner's insurance will go up due to a claim for repairs. That is not right.
      by Caraline on Jan 19, 2012 at 06:48 AM in reply to loves horses
      im not saying the horse will never be claimed, but as i previously said in a comment below, i had delt with these same horses about 2-3 months ago. no one claimed them when they were alive either. is someone going to claim them now? i doubt it.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 137550693 - witn.com/a?a=137550693